FocusReefing

Just a podcaster from Queens
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Hello all. Many of you may not know me. I have been a member for a while, but never been very active. I have had a nano with a few corals but never really flourished. I broke down the nano because I had dreams of something bigger. Which then led me to purchase a 180 gallon room divider tank, only to have those dreams put on hold once my daughter was born. The tank was just too much for me to manage. Being a first time reefer & first time father while holding a 9-5 job stretched me far too thin. But now the time is finally right!

So I am beginning my reefing journey after a long hiatus. I look forward to the advice & guidance this forum has become famous for. Thank you all in advance.

Jon.

FocusReefing

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
DSC00316.jpg

DSC00316.jpg

Some pictures of the beast and where she will live.

FocusReefing

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Gonna have my sump located in the basement directly under the tank. So I built a supporting wall to brace the floor while also providing a space for the sump & work area.

DSC00307.jpg

My basement as it was.

DSC00324.jpg

And the way it is now. directly under the main display.

FocusReefing

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I know when it comes to sumps bigger equals more water volume, but would a 33 gallon sump be sufficient enough? I'm trying to use what I have. I got rid of my 55 and now I'm regretting it. All that's left is my 33 long.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Your going to want a larger sump than the 33 ideally and you want something a little lower and wider than the 55 dimensions. Also, I just helped my cousin set up his 55 for a fish-with-simple-coral and I couldn't imagine using it as a sump and doing maintenance in it. Its just too narrow and high so don't feel too bad that you got rid of it.

Your going through a ton of work and trouble setting the tank up. Might as well get the major things set up properly. Your going to be planning the sump equipment around the 33g L and that can be an issue later when you decide you want to swap it out for something else.

FocusReefing

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Thanks for the insight. What about using the 33 or a 40 breeder to house mechanical & chemical filtration such as, skimmer, reactors & such only. Then using a Rubbermaid trough to house additional live rock below the sump before then returning up to the dt. Would this be a better option? I'm really just trying to avoid building something super custom or complicated. I also don't/can't drop several hundred $ on an acrylic sump.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: