Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
So after a long few months my 180 gallon in wall is almost ready to be cycled! The only delay is I ordered some rock from reefrocks back on October 7th and still waiting on that to ship.

Once I have the rock I will cycle and then the fun begins!

I will post pictures of the build process as the room went from blah to whoaaa.

Purchased my skimmer today, went with a BNIB ATB 840 v2.0 for my tank. I also have the avast marine skimmate locker to pair with it.

Last edited:

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Here is an album of the initial build process!

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/DWy4p/embed"></iframe>

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Nice! Good luck with it! If i end up buying the house i live in now, im going to put a 180 in the wall behind my sofa and make a filtration room behind that wall in my garage :D

The filtration room is part of the laundry room where the tank is also sitting :). Not the prettiest of rooms, but it houses my mixing container, ro container, and sump.

The sump is a 75g tank baffled for skimmer, fuge, return.

I need to figure out what skimmer to go with now :(. I have a few recommendations, but I can't decide!

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
One oversight on my part is that I bought 2 x 300 watt jager heaters, which are 19.3 inches long. Well my sump are is only 17.5 x 19! DOH!

I will be ordering I believe 2 x 250 watt heaters instead as they are only 17.3 inches long!

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Cant u put the heaters on an angle in the sump?

I tried that and well they're just too big :anger2:

Good news is I only bought two of them, one will be sent for my mixing container and the other one I am considering leaving in my overflow.

Not sure if that is wise to have it in the overflow, but we will see.

Right now I am looking at what skimmer to get. I got a few recommendations from NYREEFNOOB, but I just can't make up my mind:scratchch. <table width="886" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:9764;width:200pt" width="267"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2852;width:59pt" width="78"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2304;width:47pt" width="63"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:1572;width:32pt" width="43"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3474;width:71pt" width="95"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:5632;width:116pt" width="154"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3730;width:77pt" width="102"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3072;width:63pt" width="84"> </colgroup><tbody><tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl66" style="height:15.0pt;width:200pt" width="267" height="20">Skimmer</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:59pt" width="78">Tank Rating</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:47pt" width="63">Price</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:32pt" width="43">Watts</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:71pt" width="95">Footprint</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:116pt" width="154">Pump</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:77pt" width="102">Recommended</td> <td style="width:63pt" width="84">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl66" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" height="20">
</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td> <td class="xl67" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl69" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" height="20">Skimz SM201 Monzter E-Series</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">214 - 533</td> <td class="xl67" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 449.95 </td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">20</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">9.4 x 9.4 x 21.8</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Skimz ES5000</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">NYREEFNOOB</td> <td class="xl70" style="border-left:none">good review</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl66" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" height="20">JNS SK3</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">225</td> <td class="xl67" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 479.99 </td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">27</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">15 x 11.4 x 22.8</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Sicce pump</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl66" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" height="20">
</td> <td class="xl67" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td> <td class="xl68" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl66" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" height="20">ATB 840 v2</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">249</td> <td class="xl67" style="border-top:none;border-left:none"> $ 658.99 </td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">21</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">10.5 x 14 x 20</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">Sicce Syncra</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">NYREEFNOOB</td> <td class="xl65">1st choice</td> </tr> </tbody></table><table width="802" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"><td class="xl63" style="height:15.0pt;width:200pt" width="267" height="20">
</td><td class="xl63" style="border-left:none;width:59pt" width="78">
</td><td class="xl63" style="border-left:none;width:47pt" width="63">
</td><td class="xl63" style="border-left:none;width:32pt" width="43">
</td><td class="xl63" style="border-left:none;width:71pt" width="95">
</td><td class="xl63" style="border-left:none;width:116pt" width="154">
</td><td class="xl63" style="border-left:none;width:77pt" width="102">
</td></tr><tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"><td class="xl63" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" height="20">
</td><td class="xl63" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td><td class="xl64" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td><td class="xl65" style="border-top:none;border-left:none">
</td></tr><tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"><td class="xl63" style="height:15.0pt;border-top:none" height="20">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Last edited:

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Check out some of the teaser photos :). If my rock order doesn't ship tomorrow I will have to call chase and ask for a refund since reefrocks is being non-responsive :(. Can't wait to get this thing filled with water!

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/1iaKd/embed"></iframe>

Last edited:

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
180!!!! Huge upgrade for you. Congrats dude!

My man! I went from a 14g biocube to a 135g oceanic to a 180g to a RSM 130D to a 75g to a 60g deep blue frag tank now to the 180. :eat:

How have you been? You still in NJ or moved back to NY last I heard.

Start selling fish again so I can stock this bad boy!

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I'm still in NJ. You can still buy fish from DOTR. In fact, Brian (new owner) puts his fish through a more rigorous QT than I did if you can imagine that!

Keep the pics coming! You should snag these Saragassum Trigger I have for it :wink1:

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I'm still in NJ. You can still buy fish from DOTR. In fact, Brian (new owner) puts his fish through a more rigorous QT than I did if you can imagine that!

Keep the pics coming! You should snag these Saragassum Trigger I have for it :wink1:

Yeah I plan on hitting Brian up for fish, thirty5 got a sweet boxfish from him.

I will post more pictures once things get going. I am so pissed off about my rock I sent the order request on October 7th, payment cleared by October 9th and now it is December 9th and still no rock or response to my emails as of November 28th from reefrocks.

Any recommendations where to buy rock locally cheap? All I am waiting for is my rock at this point to get this bad boy cycling.

Then I will buy my skimmer, powerhead, and lights.

Skimmer: Skimz SM 201 Monzter E-series
Lights: 2 x AI Sol Blue, may add an additional if needed
Powerhead: I am thinking a single mp60 and return only, nothing more.

Livestock I have a stocking list thread, but I am still open to suggestions :)

:approve:

<table width="267" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr height="20"><td class="xl65" style="height:15.0pt;width:200pt" width="267" height="20">
</td> </tr></tbody></table>

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
If you were buying dry rock shoot Brian a PM.

Send me a link to your thread. I want to chime in :)

Yeah dry rock, I need to call reefrocks tomorrow and see if they will actually be shipping this week or if they are going to at least issue a refund. Depending on how that goes I'll call chase if necessary and then hit Brian up. :irked:

Stocking list thread is here: http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum...386-stocking-list-180g-fowlr.html#post1210734

I posted a thread on RC for them saying how good they are in regards to the quality of the rock. I did a custom order where they design some of the aquascape based on my input. The last time I ordered the rock for my 75g it came quickly and was great. This time it has been a huge process and delayed. Oh well live and learn.

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
nice pics
good luck with the build it should be fun

Thanks I just need a few things and I am off!

First thing I'm doing is replacing my two black ice clowns that I lost recently :X. I think they were stressed after the hurricane that or my 60g tank is messed up somewhere idk.

Probably do the clowns then anthias I think.

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
looking good B

Yeah you need to stop by soon and see it. Ant came through today and was HUGE with the plumbing and getting the sump out from under the stand.

I need him to come by one day so we can do the mixing station and then I'm basically set.

He is trying to talk me in to doing a reef, but I said nooo nooo nooo :dog2::shhh:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: