E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
This time around I'm going for an AIO (all-in-one) tank. After about four straight years of sumps, return pumps, and everything that goes along with it, I just need a break. :lol2: Plus, the smaller volume will mean simpler water changes and less dosing (well.. amounts, not frequency).

34 gallons should be perfect for me. I'm going to use this thread to document the build, and hope to keep this tank setup for a long time. (I know my wife will KILL ME if I don't keep this setup for a while) :smash:

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I actually had a detailed Equipment write-up all written out, but when I hit the button to post, there was a server error and I lost all the info :tired:.

So I'm going to try again

Equipment:

I'm going with a 34 Gallon Solana, and will use the Black stand that comes with the tank. As for the rest:

Lighting-
  • :lol2: ..This has been a long journey, but I have finally decided on an Ecotech Radion fixture. The Powermodule was excellent, but along with the Reef Brite, it spilled too much light into the room. The tank sits pretty close to our couch, and the light spill was giving people head aches.. :(
Flow-

• Tunze 6025 and return, for now. I have an MP10 w/ batter backup that's going to be added once I get a new dryside (mine is noisy and needs to be replaced).

Filtration-

• AquaMaxx HOB-1 skimmer. (Hopefully I will get this within a few weeks when the next shipment arrives in the US).
  • Media Basket. This is going to hold a sack of carbon and a sack of GFO. I might put a piece or two of live rock (medium sized, not rubble) as well.

Last edited:

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Regarding the tank itself, I'm making a few modifications that are pretty exciting (to me, at least :lol2:)

First, the piece of plastic that is used as a divider between the sump section and the display is a magnet for coralline algae. I really don't like that look at all, and prefer it to remain clean. That said, I'm having Custom King (Jeff) make me a nice piece of black acrylic that I'll silicone on the back wall.

Here's a pic to show how clean this looks:

photo40_zps8dad6548.jpg

Last edited:

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
There were two significant updates that took place yesterday. First, my 4 bulb Powermodule came :D.. This looks like it will suit my tank extremely well. I think I have about 10 different bulbs to play with also.

Second, Kasei (Pseudo) and Rich (Jackson) came by yesterday to pick up the 60 gallon. I'm sure Kasei will make the tank look great.

I have to admit though... Ive had a tank in my living room, in some form or another, for the past four years or so. It's kind of a weird (and quiet) feeling.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Looks like I'll keep talking to myself :lol2:

Equipment updates:

Controller-- I found a good deal on a BNIB Apex Jr. and decided to finally order it. Although it doesn't come with 8 outlets or a display, I think the Jr will be fine for a while. I'm going to run my heater, lights, and return pump (or skimmer) for now, and will buy an additional EB8 when I feel it's necessary.

Skimmer-- it's really between a used Deltec MCE600 and the Aquamaxx HOB. Both have excellent reviews and are priced about the same. If anyone has input on skimmer choice, I'm all ears (and eyes).

In general:

I've decided to try my hands at a fully SPS-dominant tank (with a few acans). I figure that I've been reefing for five years (or more) now, and ought to be able to keep some SPS happy. :D ....That said, I need to look at dosing pumps (I would love a Litermeter with the Water Exchange module but we'll see how that goes) and a reliable way to keep Alk stable and phosphates low.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Sounds good so far Eric. The deltec mce 600 is way overrated but will do the job for the solona very well. I would only buy a used deltec, not worth the price new. I would would also recommend a phosban reactor. For nutrient removal my old solana had the deltic skimmer, phosban reactor, occasional sack of carbon, and water changes. Fairly simple setup but the SPS grew like mad.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Thanks Rich.
I'm considering a reactor for GFO but I might just use the media-basket that Jeff made for the tank.
I'll probably go with the aquamaxx skimmer because replacing the aquamaxx pump will be much cheaper and easier to get done.

The back section of the tank will be pretty simple. I plan to keep the heater, media basket (with GFO and Carbon), the skimmer return pipes, and return pump back there. I want to keep the system simple, with high flow, high light, and a high level of nutrient export.

akma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Nice man. I love solanas. Ati fixtures are awesome but i pcked up a g2 radion and its amazing. Much better than the ai sol blue i used to have. As for the tubze i would pass. Worst skimmer i ever had and i had 4 of them since i started this hobby.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
On Friday I placed an order for the Aquamaxx skimmer. The website said there was one in stock. A few hours later, I get an email stating they're out of stock. :( Most sites that sell these skimmers are also out of stock, so hopefully finding one won't be an issue.

Also, what's everyone using for a GFO reactor? I didn't like the BRS reactors, and I've heard some have had issues with their Phosban reactors (connections leaking, mostly).

FlyPenFly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
The MJ600 is a huge downgrade to the return pump. The stock pump is pretty good. Quiet and 400gph+. Even the MJ1200 can't put out that kind of flow.

I am upgrading my return pump to http://www.ebay.com/itm/290802442304?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It's from the same maker and the next step up in their line. I've been told it fits in the return chamber area.

The Tunze 9002 with the stevie cup and airline mod makes a great skimmer once you attach a silencer to the air hose. After about two weeks, mine produces great dark copious skim.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
The MJ600 is a huge downgrade to the return pump. The stock pump is pretty good. Quiet and 400gph+. Even the MJ1200 can't put out that kind of flow.

I am upgrading my return pump to http://www.ebay.com/itm/290802442304?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It's from the same maker and the next step up in their line. I've been told it fits in the return chamber area.

The Tunze 9002 with the stevie cup and airline mod makes a great skimmer once you attach a silencer to the air hose. After about two weeks, mine produces great dark copious skim.

I think the MJ will be used on a reactor anyway, so I'm going to keep the return pump stock for now.

Ill have to take a look at the airline mod for the Tunze skimmer.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
My next decision is an equipment one. I have the option of buying a used but in great shape Litermeter III with water exchange module (that can also be used as an additional dosing pump) and ATO module, OR an upgraded skimmer.

The skimmer I will be using is a Tunze 9002 with Stevie T cup and I will perform the airline mod to increase performance. Bio load will be low, especially in the beginning. The upgrade would be an Aquamaxx HOB, Deltec MCE300, or the newer SRO HOB skimmer.

The Litermeter III is well out of my price range when new, and it's probably the best doser that I've seen, based on reviews, reliability, accuracy, noise levels, etc...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: