strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Where to start? First I want to say NONE of this could happen without A LOT of help from some of the best friends anyone could want. Thanks to Jerl77, MBG75, Jaftica and Gary's Reef for the help, motivation and B** BUSTING! Thanks boys.
And to my wife for putting up with us. This build started back in October with the purchase of a Marineland 60 cube. I bought a GH overflow and dual return kit and drilled the tank. So much smaller and cleaner than the standard RR setup they come with. Hanging out with the above mentioned people will cause you to spend a lot of money and have dreams of sump rooms dedicated just to the tank. So thats what I am doing. None of it is finished yet as I suffered a heart attack back on January 9th which put me out of commission for awhile. Hoping to have the tank running by June. Oh and if my Boss or any of the guys from work are reading this, NONE of this was built at work:tired::irked:

Eventually this tank will be moved upstairs to my LR and a second 60 cube added. One on each side of the TV stand.

This is going to be a picture heavy thread so enjoy. I will provide any info needed.

**It seems you cannot upload any pics for this thread at the moment so for now there will be NOTHING to look at**

That being said here is an equipment list breakdown as of right now. Most of the stuff has either been purchased or will be in the upcoming weeks....

60 Gallon Marineland Cube
Custom stand and canopy
750gph GH Overflow with dual 3/4" returns
Neptone Apex
Coralife Turbo-sea 1270 external pump
Avast Marine CS1 w Recirc option (Incredible Skimmer)
Avast Marine Optical ATO setup
BRS dual reactors
ViaAqua Heater
Coralife 6X 18W UV
BRS 4 Stage RO/DI setup
Either an MP10Wes or Jebo25 when they are released. Leaning towards the 10 for a reason that will be obvious when I discuss my choice of lighting.

This is going to be tied into a custom 40B sump w triple sock holders. A separate 40B Fuge sits next to that that has been drilled for both a drain and return. a 27g Marineland cube serves as my ATO container and a second will become a dedicated Mantis tank tied into the system unless my wife gets her wish of a seahorse tank. This is all in a small 8x8 sump room I am in the process of building/finishing.

Ahh yes lighting choices....Let the abuse begin :teeth::fight2: I originally purchased a Lumenbrite reflector w a 250W coralvue ballast and 20K Ushio for over this tank. I planned on supplementing that w a 24" Blue RB strip. IMO reef tanks just dont look realistic without shimmer. Not that T5's arent an amazing choice just not for me. I have always loved MH but have been following the growing LED trend for months and being a tech guy I have always had the thought of running them in the back of my mind. I have seen several LED lit tanks that impressed me. The most amazing being Garys Reef which IMO should be the next TOTM. Truly amazing and the tank that made me buy an LED setup :Yikes::shocked: . Yes you read that right. Now I am currently taking a TON of abuse from the boys but I feel that over a mixed tank like I plan on running LEDs are a very viable option. Thanks to MBG75 I was told of a friend of his selling a 4 month old Gen2 Radion. So it now sits above the cube. Initial impressions are that the build quality is typical Ecotech, the software is impressive and very easy to program. I have VERY high expectations for this setup. Hopefully it doesn't let me down.....

PICS ADDED

Last edited:

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Lets see if I can get some up w Tapatalk... It all begins with the tank.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364924960.659233.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364924960.659233.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 2,720
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364924975.540651.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364924975.540651.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 2,709
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364924998.407326.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364924998.407326.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 5,951
Last edited:

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
The 27 is going to wind up in this nook along with my RO unit and water change barrels.

6yvy8u7y.jpg

8eqaqury.jpg

Piped the back of the tank. Not worried about the head loss as the pump is roughly 26" below the waterline in the tank. Plenty of push.

ve2usu8e.jpg

Bringing in the drain and return lines.

adutedy7.jpg

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
The Radion sitting in its new canopy on new rails.

eseqyse2.jpg

The sump room as of this afternoon. Still have some Sheetrock work left lol. Paint is a bad mix from the local hardware store. Normally $42 a gllon Pratt and Lambert I got for $15 w a $10 rebate form! Lol. Its blue so I went with it.

u8upy2y7.jpg

And this is the sump side of the setup. The cover over the socks is removable for cleaning them out. The lip for the socks is also 1" below tank trim so should the socks ever clog overflow won't be an issue.

u4ebynyb.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: