reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Great job! I am really into bonsai style aquascapes and this is the best one I have seen yet!!!

Thanks it means a lot!as dually noted in the whole process of making this it isn't for the kind at heart as it takes a lot of time and patience.most of my inspiration came from my own vision of what a reeftank should look like.(in my own opinion)as of right now as this is is being cycled and seeded with live rock I'm making other bonsai inspired aquascaping for larger tanks(being that I received a lot of Pm's over this)until then stay tuned for updates on the tank thread.
Thanks everyone!

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
A little update..all holes for the frag plugs where drilled and bored using a Dremel

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 401

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Sorry for the bad pics...counted today(5 times lost count a few times)total holes for frag plugs is 50.it will get a vinegar bath only cause I seen alot of people from various forums complaining about phosphates leeching from pukani rocks that where ordered from bulk reef supply.after all this work I'm not taking chances as this will be one complete structure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 398

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
For as long as I been in this hobby every piece of dry rock or dead rock I ever put in my tank I always used either a 2/1 or a 1/1 ratio of rodi water and distilled white vinegar depending on how the rocks look.live rock I always cooked for a month before it ever hits my tank.gets rid of unwanted critters(fireworms,over populated bristle worms)as well as detritus.to each there own that has other methods or ways this is just what I always did.as far as the rocks that are going in a vinegar bath they will be soaked in rodi afterwards to rid the vinegar then they will be cooked and seeded with live rock.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
btw nice job

no vinegar does not leach out the phosphates, neither does a bleach bath, cooking rock does not get rid of un-wanted perasites either, several articles in reguards to this, funny thing most parasites and un-wanted things are stronger to survive then most other stuff. i literally cooked rock for 6 months, then left out of water for almost six months in a garage that was over a 100 degree's, went to let cook again and poof aptasia re-apeared as well as some algea, dont know how but bleach bath then muratic acid is about the best method to guarentee clean pest free rock

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
btw nice job

no vinegar does not leach out the phosphates, neither does a bleach bath, cooking rock does not get rid of un-wanted perasites either, several articles in reguards to this, funny thing most parasites and un-wanted things are stronger to survive then most other stuff. i literally cooked rock for 6 months, then left out of water for almost six months in a garage that was over a 100 degree's, went to let cook again and poof aptasia re-apeared as well as some algea, dont know how but bleach bath then muratic acid is about the best method to guarentee clean pest free rock

Thanks nyreefnoob...I never used muriatic acid I always used the bleach bath then vinegar bath for years and never had any issues.being that Home Depot is 5 blocks from me ill try it.my only concern is it eating away the rocks and being that pukani rock is so porous I'm worried about it loosing the shape and all the work I did to them.

TheHun

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.2%
75   3   0
Thanks nyreefnoob...I never used muriatic acid I always used the bleach bath then vinegar bath for years and never had any issues.being that Home Depot is 5 blocks from me ill try it.my only concern is it eating away the rocks and being that pukani rock is so porous I'm worried about it loosing the shape and all the work I did to them.

don't worry about, only need a 15-20 min bath. I used many times never changed the shape of the rocks

make sure you clean of all bleach before your put it in the acid!

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
The tonga branch was bleached for 24 hours then sat in rodi water to neutralize.then it was placed outside in the sun the day it hit 100 degrees.after all the cutting glueing and handling of it I think I'm going to give it another bleach bath only.the pukani rock ill do the same then a muriatic acid bath.after all its only dry rock I think it should be good you think?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: