reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Well after searching high and low and getting frustrated in my endless search for the right rocks (thickness,length and weight) I figure its a long awaited tank thread for me to start.before I go into details about how this was made I'd like to thank ezaudio and rob&gab for finding me the tonga branches needed for this aquascape.and I'd like to thank metrokat for the idea of using e marco-400 bonding cement(this stuff is incredible!)
Well on to my project...I had bonsai trees for as long as I can remember and always loved the way they looked with the bended trunk and unique style and upon staring at one that I own i was thinking how awesome that would look in a reeftank!and not only look good but serve a purpose(ill get to that later)
So here is what I came up with.
First and foremost i soaked all the tonga branch in a 2/1 solution of bleach and ro/di water to kill off everything on it.(being that tonga branch is so dense it serves no purpose benificially).
I cut probably about 20 pieces of tonga branch rock with a wet saw to just the right angle needed to resemble the main trunk of a bonsai tree,after that every edge was grinded down to a bevel so it can hold the correct shape after the emarco-400.then had start the pain staking time consuming most important part of this whole entire process and that is to drill every piece with a 3/8 mason bit(tonga branch is so dam hard to drill) in the center core of each side for the 3/8 acrylic rods which will be glued in using a gel based reefsafe glue for temporary support.next I used a marine based epoxy(which is reefsafe)to mend every piece together.now that the strength of the main trunk is strong enough with the help of the acrylic 3/8 rods and the epoxy for the added support I then coated every joint with the e marco -400 cement.this thing can support 100+pounds easy!Now ill explain the whole structure on why it will serve a purpose..
As we all know different coral require different lighting for the health and growth which is done from placement at different heights in our tanks.so to use this into play each branch coming off the main trunk is staggered at different heights and as well as position so there will be no shadowing from one platform to another so all the corals in the tank will get the proper lighting required.and for the added bonus the flow in the tank will be consistent will no dead spots for detritus to build up.
As for the rocks used that will be cemented on the ends of the branches i went with pukani rocks only cause it is the most porous out of any other type of rocks and also the lightest.
Each platform (pukani rock) will also be drilled to hide frag plugs which will have anywhere from 3(top piece)to 18(bottom piece)holes --total frag plug holes will be anywhere from 40-50 holes
The total inside measurements for a 34 solana is: front to back 15 1/2inches(4 inches for the filtration chamber x 19 1/2 inches
The total overall measurements from side to side is:17 1/2 inches
The total measurements front to back is 14 1/4 inches
I wanted to make sure I had enough clearance so the aquascape wont touch glass and for an algae scrapper to have clearance.
As of right now I'm well into this for over 100 plus hours
The cost of all the rocks (tonga branch,and pukani rock)is $130
Cost of material needed (gel based crazy glue,2part epoxy,acrylic rods band aids...accidents do happen)$75
Time taken and cost to have a one of a kind very unique aquascape PRICELESS!!!
And yes I know this is a tank thread so stay tuned as I wait upon all the rocks are cured and cycled as my 34 solana has currently been running for well over a year.
Enjoy the pics to be continued......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,540
Last edited:
Rating - 94.6%
105   6   0
Really nice! It speaks volumes about your dedication to the hobby. Now all you have to do is find the right mix of coral and fish.
I too have been using branch but only so far as mounting encrusting monti as they have a habit of blocking the light from other coral...

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
im happy i was able to help you with some stuff! lol dude you need to patent your design this is freaking awesome. this would look so dope on larger scale tanks also but for cubes its amazing. im so happy the way this piece turned out if you need anything let me no brotha.

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
As for the rest of the tank I decided on Using a hang on refugium to go on the back once I make a support stand behind the tank to hold it.reason for this is I'm concerned about the weight of the refugium hanging on the back glass.I'm going with a CPR aquafuge.the tunze skimmer will be relocated(if all goes well)in the center filtration chamber.in my opinion i think all in one aquariums serve no purpose but to have chemical filtration in the chambers,carbon,bioballs,chemipure and so on and so forth.to have chaeto in there is pointlsss .the little space provided isn't sufficient enough to have any macro algae actually grow to serve its meaningful purpose.this is why I'm going with a hang on with miracle mud and various kind of macro algae to house pods.

Last edited:

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
im happy i was able to help you with some stuff! lol dude you need to patent your design this is freaking awesome. this would look so dope on larger scale tanks also but for cubes its amazing. im so happy the way this piece turned out if you need anything let me no brotha.

You know me rob...the wheels are always turning in my head...I already have other gravity deifying ideas for larger scale tanks..don't want to give all my ideas away..ill fill you in shortly when the need for rocks come about

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Not sure if you know but there's a website that makes pre made bonsai rock aqua scape. For those who don't want to make it themselves.

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Really nice! It speaks volumes about your dedication to the hobby. Now all you have to do is find the right mix of coral and fish.
I too have been using branch but only so far as mounting encrusting monti as they have a habit of blocking the light from other coral...

Thanks Troy...here a few pics of some of the corals that will be in there

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 525
M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
282   0   0
I seen it also.very expensive for very small pieces.cheapest one was $230 for a 12 inch high piece with very minimal space for coral.besides it takes the fun out of it.when its done I can hold up to 50 frags.

Not sure where u looked but the cheapest I found was $50 for a 12". I agree its more fun to DIY though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: