• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Hey rich,

I was scanning through your build and can't find what you are dosing. I know your using a ghl doser so besides 2 part, probably potassium and mag. You posted about the utilization of good bacteria. Are you dosing prodibio biodigest? Vodka dosing or another carbon source?

Thanks!

Great tank and definitely inspiring what can be achieved if done right in a short period of time.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Hey rich,

I was scanning through your build and can't find what you are dosing. I know your using a ghl doser so besides 2 part, probably potassium and mag. You posted about the utilization of good bacteria. Are you dosing prodibio biodigest? Vodka dosing or another carbon source?

Thanks!

Great tank and definitely inspiring what can be achieved if done right in a short period of time.

Thanks Evo, I am dosing prodibio Biodigest and Bipotim every 2 weeks, and Microbe-lift Special Blend + Nite Out II every 2 week weeks. I alternate each week between the 2 combos.
On the doser is Calcium, Alkalinity, and Kalk saturated with vinegar. I dose only 400ml of kalk daily. It's a small amount, but it cuts down on the amount of 2 part that I use a little.
The lighting and the water changes are key to the systems growth. All the new techniques with no water changes and LED lightings make SPS much more difficult IMO ?. but you won't read that. Let me not get started :)

There are some changes coming to this system. I am getting rid of the skimz and replacing with a bubble king mini 200.
I will also be adding 4 more t5's overdriven by an icecap ballast. So there will be a 400w radium, 8 t5's (4 overdriven), and 2 blue LED reefbrites.
I'll update with photos when I get it done.

For now here's a quick feeding video from today. I should have kept the phone sideways :eek: The video comes out so narrow when you hold the phone vertically :)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fFUMpFlySf8?list=UUhMQtkcK_YQuWgCqG41ncXA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

Do you think your bioload helps your tank as well? I tend to stay on the safe side but yours seems on the high-end load. I'm sure your awesome skimmer does its job especially when you get the bk + the de-nitrifying bacteria helps keep your system in check.

Was your dosing habits from after cycle?

Sorry to bum rush your thread of questions. If I have these questions hopefully it helps others take away from your knowledge as well.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
What's is the purpose of kalk with vinegar?

Steve, it supplies calcium and alkalinity. Dosing 400ml of kalk with vinegar cut down on the amount of 2 part that I use. I guess the vinegar acts as a carbon source but It's not much. I don't think it worth the effort on my tank but do it anyway :)

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think your bioload helps your tank as well? I tend to stay on the safe side but yours seems on the high-end load. I'm sure your awesome skimmer does its job especially when you get the bk + the de-nitrifying bacteria helps keep your system in check.

Was your dosing habits from after cycle?

Sorry to bum rush your thread of questions. If I have these questions hopefully it helps others take away from your knowledge as well.

No worries. The bioload is necessary to sustain high bacterial populations. Keep in mind I ramped this up over the course of a year. The 400w halide, high bioload, and heavy feeding is everything here. I wasn't going for an ULN zeo looking tank this time around. Some corals look awesome in ULN, but most don't. Some of the best zeo tanks you'll see have certain selected species that show awesome pastel colors. Look close though, you see that dreaded low nutrient tan color all over.

The prodibio and Special blend keeps the nutrients under control somewhat, ad the SPS seem to grow faster and have better PE + color with the addition of prodibio. Keep in mind my nitrates are 15ppm and po4 is .03-.05. In a ULN tank with 0's, if you start carbon dosing, you'll probably kill everything.

kingator

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
157   0   0
Man i was able to pay Rich a visit today to see this system first hand . i must say might be the best complete well balanced out system ive seen , your doing a great job bro !! inspires me to keep ticking away and learning if those are the benefits lol ......thx for the hospitality and for the gift lmfao lol ......

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Thanks Israel. Glad you like the system, and glad you passed by. I've seen what you can do with the LPS, I know you'll be kicking butt with the SPS. LMK how those frags do :)

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
So what skimmer did you decided on getting?

With my heavy bioload I need strong skimming power. With a 12x12 footprint this keeps bringing me to the Bubble king mini 200 Speedy. I haven't ordered yet but that's the likely decision. Really don't want to part with that kind of coin, but I keep telling myself that my frags paid for it lol

If any vendors see this and can get a good deal on this skimmer, please PM me.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Yea I read about their poor customer service. My main concern is if there are issues with the Speedy DC pump, like many other cheaper DC pumps have. I searched but can't seem to find much feedback at all.
I use Coralife in this tank, and my last 5 tanks :). Very consistent salt.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Great tank Rich, the colors are incredible. Did you figure out the skimmer yet?

Hey Eric, thanks. Sorry I didn't see this post until now. I ended up going with the BK 200 mini RD3. It's been running about a week now. I have it running on the wet side, but it's definitely pulling more than the skimz, and it's totally silent. Now that I own a BK, I can see what all the fuss is about. Quality really is second to none.... just in case you want to smash it around in your sump :/

30hrs running. Really stinks. Wife is chewing me out:shhh:
IMG_1434 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Out of the box
IMG_1237 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

I also picked up a gyre 130. This is a cool little pump. It completely overpowers the mp40 on the opposite side, I just find it difficult to place with my coral growth. I have to play around with placement. I plan on keeping the 3 mp40's and gyre 130 for flow. I will remove the MP 10. Gyre on right side.

IMG_1327 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

looking from the left side of the cube
IMG_1389 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

I may have a lighting change coming soon as well. The growth is becoming dense and shadowing is using STN on some pieces. I post an update if and when I change :)

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Thanks Jarret :)

Warren I have the standard A/B fins running. It sounds like a lot of flow but it doesn't look like too much in the tank. The branch rock and corals do a good job in reducing flow :/

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: