jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I KnOw I Dont Need It Yet But What Were Your Params When You Started The Carbon Source. I Been Reading About It But Dont Understand It Enough.Yet. Is Activated Carbon In A Reactor The Same As Carbon Dosing. I Been Seeing Improvements Steadly I Know There Is Gonna Be A Time Where My System Will Reach Its Point Where Ill Need To Implement A Carbon Source I Just Wanna Be Prepared . I AM Finally Enjoying This Tank Again.

Steve, I started dosing prodibio when nitrates jumped up to about 5ppm. Po4 has always been low in this system from 0.0-.04. My advice is to not mess around with carbon dosing until you are certain that your nutrients are high. I would even wait until you see nitrate as high as 10ppm before you get on a dosing scheme. IME, the carbon source is more helpful than just keeping nutrient under control, it seems to fuel SPS growth and improve color. PE is noticeably better since dosing. However, carbon dosing can wreck your corals if you use it with not enough bioload. My carbon source is prodibio bioptim. Some guys use vinegar, vodka, sugar and others etc. This is not the same as activated carbon. The carbon sources that I listed fuel bacterial growth and help clean the system.

I've seen this tank in person and I was astonished with the color, growth and clarity of the water in the system. Keep it up and you give us inspiration that one day we will achieve perfection and balance.
Thanks for the used radium btw, seein it on my tank made me go 20K.

Thanks Jack. Can't go wrong with a Radium.

Beautiful tank and a great thread!!!

Would love to come see this in person and possibly leave with some red table!?!?

Thank you. You're welcome to pass by any time. Not really fragging anything, just getting rid of some corals to make room for my more favorite ones to grow out. :)

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Thank you guys. This is definitely the best SPS health and color that I ever had.

I took a few quick cell pics since I got home early today :) I'm working on cleaning up corals from the sanded to reduce clutter.
Latest FTS
Nov 22 2014 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Pearlberry
IMG_2184 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Tyree PM from copps. This is the first time I've had this coral develop green polyps. It was all white polyps before. I'm guessing maybe my elevated nutrient level has something to do with it.
IMG_2187 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

PM 10 months ago to show growth.
jan23 PM by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Crazy growth on that pm man and it's suppose to be notorious for being a slow grower ... Lmk when u going to frag that man

Going to be a little while. I really want all my pieces to get large. Cutting 2"-3" corals slows growth IME. When it's like 5"-6" it can be fragged often and cuts less visible.

Need to come by and stare at your tank some more! Tank looks sick!

Sure, anytime. Bring booze :) How are the corals doing?

Actually bring your camera, I see you have developed a talent for capturing SPS images ;) I can make a frag or three for your troubles :)

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Kris and Tony, vodka works :) That's my carbon source hahah

Steve, thank you. As you saw there's nothing complicated about my tank. The balance and lighting is everything. Pretty much impossible to replace 400w halide with any other lighting.

Jim, thank you. Your longevity is an inspiration for me. I run tanks 2-3 years and then some Bullshat happens in my life and I have to move or change tanks lol. My life is more stable now so hopefully my tank will be :)

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Had the pleasure of seeing this tank in person yesterday night. The colors on the sps really pop and the landscape is creative with alot of open spaces. The sfiligoi hood ove the rimless tank provides a perfect compliment to match the surrounding furniture. All equipment is secured and hidden from view so you can just focus on the corals in the fishroom. The Jackson Special is equally impressive. Probably one of the brightest acros with multiple colors that I have been seen grown under halides in a long time. Great job Rich!!!

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Had the pleasure of seeing this tank in person yesterday night. The colors on the sps really pop and the landscape is creative with alot of open spaces. The sfiligoi hood ove the rimless tank provides a perfect compliment to match the surrounding furniture. All equipment is secured and hidden from view so you can just focus on the corals in the fishroom. The Jackson Special is equally impressive. Probably one of the brightest acros with multiple colors that I have been seen grown under halides in a long time. Great job Rich!!!

Thanks for the good works Carlos. Very much appreciated. :eek:

Rich you getting any Cynobacteria using carbon dosing?

Paul, haven't had any cyano since the initial outbreak when the tank was 2 months old.

kingator

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
157   0   0
Hey Rich , where do u have that PM set at high /low light high/low/med flow ? thats incredible growth for a piece that is said to b a slow grower

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Hey Rich , where do u have that PM set at high /low light high/low/med flow ? thats incredible growth for a piece that is said to b a slow grower

It started off medium light, actually because partially shaded from coral growth above so I decided to move it. The last 4 months it has been high up under the halide. Color and growth has improved more since. The whole tank gets high flow :)

I've been working on getting my nutrients under control and keeping up on my maintenance a little better. Also trying to clean up some clutter which is happening slowly :)

Here is a more recent shot of the PM
IMG_2517 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Some other stuff

Oregon tort
IMG_2524 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Wild indo tort (grown for last 2 years)
IMG_2514 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Green/orange tip abrol (growing really fast now)
IMG_2516 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Some fighting between Mshur red table and purple nana. The table seems to be winning :)
IMG_2515 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

POTO Acrtic tunda Frost table :) Since I had a nutrient spike this coral has a little green to it now. I'm sure in the future it will turn red/blue again as long as I can keep my tank clean :)
IMG_2511 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Last edited:

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Sick tank crazy nice colonies,this guy knows his stuff ..My tank has never been better after he explained nutrient and lighting to me... I learned a lot from you thanks for sharing your experience.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: