fishless

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Manhattan Reefers. My name is Mary. I'm a MR newb, but I have 21 years on and off in the hobby. I grew up in So Cal, and about four months ago I started my first saltwater tank since moving to NYC. I LOVE this tank. And yet... tomorrow I'll be upgrading.

From this:

IM Nuvo 38

To this:

Cad Lights 50g Artisan II Cube, with Custom King sump

Anyway, you guys have probably experienced this too, but preparing to tear down the Nuvo 38 is making me a little sad. I've worked hard on it and it's barely had a chance to get going. Thought I'd share a little bit about it before it's gone.

My Nuvo 38

Total water volume: 27 gallons(!)
Rock: BRS dry pukani and fiji, number of pounds unknown
Sand: ~20 pounds of dry aragonite

Temp: a solid 79
Salt: 1.025
Ph: 8.05-8.15
Alk, Mag, Cal: within range
Phos: <.05
Nitrate: 2-5 ppm, still settling. Also, I feed too much. My fish are very manipulative.

Livestock: LPS, SPS, Rics, Zoas, Davinci Clowns, Midas Blenny, 4 crabs, many snails. Also, green algae.

Mods, Adds, and Upgrades:

IM Spin Streams
MP10
InTank media basket with floss, sponge, and/or polyfilter
Tunze 9004 skimmer
RKL with Ph Probe
Tunze Nano ATO
BRS carbon/gfo reactor
Maxspect Razor 120w

Some of my favorite things:

This Midas Blenny named Banana

This Trachyphyllia that's been eating all my snails

And this Electric Blue Legs Hermit crab that is ALWAYS perching on my corals

Anyway, I guess that's that. I'll post a little tomorrow on how the switch is going. Thanks for reading.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Great looking setup....and good luck with the tank.

I'm upgrading from a similar sized tank to a 50 cube..(Elos midi (approx 35 gallons) to a custom 50 cube with external overflow built by Mark at reefomania).

Last edited:

fishless

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww, thanks guys. Happy to be here. :)

Day two of the transfer. OMG tired. I forgot how much harder this is than setting up a brand new tank from scratch. Livestock and rock is in. Oh and water, lol. The fish seem happy. The corals really want me to put the light back on. They'll survive.

Just getting all the electric back in order, and making water to fill the sump. Pics later.

fishless

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, SO, the switch:

Livestock and extra water out. So far, no real casualties. My big chalice must have got banged on something. I don't remember it happening, but it's got a big chunk missing on one side. Looks like it's going to heal, though.

Being guarded by The Deputy. Bye bye, old new tank.

I wasn't too annoyed by this whole process until this. Such a pain pulling all these electronics out, and setting them back up again is taking forever.

I had already plumbed the tank and ran it for a few days in a different location to make sure everything was working, so it was easy to just move it all into its new home. Filling it took a while because I had to make up more water, which I added slowly because I didn't want to shock the critters.

That's all for now.
More on the new build coming soon....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: