marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It maybe better to sell the 120gal tank and buy a new tank for the sump, that way you could design it the way you want, also you don't have to deal with the over flows or the holes on the bottom of the 120gal, unless you plan on having the 55gal sump, maybe make it a refug, under the 120 and have the 120 feed it. Personal I think I would get an acrylic sump, that way you don't need to worry about a possible leak from the glass tank.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It maybe better to sell the 120gal tank and buy a new tank for the sump, that way you could design it the way you want, also you don't have to deal with the over flows or the holes on the bottom of the 120gal, unless you plan on having the 55gal sump, maybe make it a refug, under the 120 and have the 120 feed it. Personal I think I would get an acrylic sump, that way you don't need to worry about a possible leak from the glass tank.

I'm pretty set on using it since I have it to try to keep costs down. Also it won't be an easy sell because it has an ugly steel brace across the top because the center brace broke so someone would have to be willing to repair it.

I haven't thought about it too much, but I'm going to have an external pump off the 55g sump that feeds the DT and also the 120g refugium (slower flow rate), each will drain back into the sump.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Updated equipment list, went through some stuff in my basement and also forget I ordered some new stuff back in Feb when I thought I was moving back to LB.

220g DT
120g Refigum - considering sectioning off a small area for clown breeding with egg-crate in here.
55g sump
SRO XP3000 SSS
2 buckets Red Sea Pro Salt
1x MP40
2x 120W Wingo LEDs - I do not recall what he named this model
JBJ Auto-top off - either from a bucket or my old 54G
Mag9

Still TBD:
Return pump - I'm leaning towards a Mag24 or maybe even a Mag18. This will be only to get water from the sump in the basement up to the display tank. Fuge will be powered by Mag9 and also will T off of that for future expansions.

Heater - I'm considering one for the refugium and one in the DT. I've never had luck with heaters in the sump, they seem to break/die easier with the water level being so low. Any suggestions?

UV Sterilizer - most likely the Turbo Twist 12X (36 watts)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My refugiums in the past have been small and pretty minimal (mineral mud, chaeto, mangroves). I'm planning the same for the new 120g but what else could I do since I have such a huge space to work with? What else can I add to make it more functional and unique? Cleanup crew or non-reef safe inverts??

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Cooked my rocks in muriatic acid in a couple of batches during the last week. Still have a batch to go but they came out pretty good! Then they will all go in to ro/di with some phos-free.

Attachments

• photo_1.jpg
    photo_1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 377
  • photo_2.jpg
    photo_2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 372
  • photo_3.jpg
    photo_3.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 374
  • photo_4.jpg
    photo_4.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 377
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 373
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Nice build, I really like the hole in the wall thing with a open side. It's like a hybrid peninsula/in-wall tank.
how long did you have to leave the Rocks in muriatic acid and the phos-free?

Thanks, the hole was a ton of work but it got the look i'm going for! I cooked the rocks in the acid for 30 minutes... some came cleaner than others but I think it did the job.

I had the phos-free in for about 2 weeks. I didn't measure much on a phosphate kit but looking back I think it might have been because I had it in ro/di water without salt.

Get a shorter stand

To get to the 120g overflow drains it would pretty much have to be sitting on the floor... just sucks i paid $99 for the stand and can't return it! I'm not going to get the refugium going for a couple of months still so I have some time...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I started cycling the rocks in the sump last week but couldn't wait and moved everything into the display tank. Right now it's just the live sand, dead rock, a couple of heaters, an MP40 and a filter bag of carbon.The water started clearing up after about 24 hours...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 289
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 288
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 289
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 285
  • photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 285

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: