129   0   0
MWoodhill on Oct 25th said:
Finally, everythin in
MWoodhill on Nov 3rd said:
Near the end of 14 day cycle, the tank has yet to see any signs of algae
MWoodhill on Nov 6th said:
first purchase from dfs
MWoodhill on Nov 7th said:
echinata seems quite delicate, doing weird in my tank. few branches of shown p.e. while two rtn damages r seen on other branches. hopefully it'll recover
the rest doin fine insofar
:scratch:Why did you buy corals for a brand new tank, before the '14 day cycle' was done?

MWoodhill

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
:scratch:Why did you buy corals for a brand new tank, before the '14 day cycle' was done?

it's done. thursday is the end of the cycle. and actually some less sensitive ones could be added after day 10

well, strawberry n echinata should be categorized as very sensitive but so far they seem to be survivin--can't guarantee that

stylo n staghorn r sure less sensitive ones and they r doin quite well now

MWoodhill

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
few new additions

all r doin fairly fine with pe and color

sunrise milli--red branch, yellow tips n green polyps

sunrise11-08-13_zps22ad4ff8.jpg

cali tort

calitort11-08-13_zps83975277.jpg

the pic totally fails the frag--pink polyps with ice blue coralite, very sweet

pinkpolyp11-08-2013_zps774c3976.jpg

seasons greeting-- i swear those red dots r pink polyps, not red bugs

seasonsgreeting11-08-13_zpse03d92ef.jpg

mika stylo

mikastylo11-08-13_zps34ec160c.jpg

forest fire digitata

forest11-08-13_zpse9dd3753.jpg

tyree's pink lemonade. long way for me to bring out its full

pinklemonade11-08-13_zps45a1c028.jpg

oldie goodie red planet

redplanet11-08-13_zpsad79bf9c.jpg

will tune my camera and present more pix. in order to fight against the phos leak from dry rock, ive very possibly overdosed zeobak so there r many brown patches on glass. will reduce to regular dosage

MWoodhill

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
the 4 eye candies i got from the frag swap

i dont have major algae but some dust thingy on the glass as u see

most of the corals r from cultivated reef--the greg guy's service's unbeatable

the system is runnin quite efficiently insofar. u can see the growth of the red planet only in a week

all the fresh white cut r covered with polyps

nov22redplanet_zpsa863581c.jpg

hawkin's echinata recovered. u can see the dead twig

nov17hawkins_zps247f371f.jpg

the pacman, growin like no tomorrow. my major problem with zeo system is its tendency to bleach new additions and make corals look pastel. startin to dose bb to bring out its red color

nov22pacman_zps56a2e835.jpg

mika stylo. sorry i didnt clean up the glass to make the pic foggy

nov22mikastylo_zpsb50692df.jpg

eye candies from the frag swap. unfortunately i only asked the boss for 100 bucks budget so missed jason fox's supernova frag. then i turned to the vendor next to him--we're both from asia community--the poto shop in flushing--my uncle lives there. how come i never had got to know them before :) really had some nice ones:

nov22pinklemonade_zps4c967a30.jpg

bubblegum/superman millipora

nov17bubblegum_zpsb79859d9.jpg

this unidentified frag is very potential--pink body, neon yellow/green coralites. it's possibly like RR's wolverine. I aint sure but am waitin to see how it colors up

nov22wolverine_zps541eea88.jpg

FlyPenFly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Not so much about cycle.

It's more about an established system that is consistent in all respects firing on all cylinders. High end SPS brown out in a day of being unhappy and take months to color back up and grow. Don't ask me how I know...

I've had the best luck when I started with some easy SPS like bird's nests, make sure my system is consistent and reliable with temperature, lighting, and nutrient export then go ahead with higher end SPS.

Last edited:

MWoodhill

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not so much about cycle.

It's more about an established system that is consistent in all respects firing on all cylinders. High end SPS brown out in a day of being unhappy and take months to color back up and grow. Don't ask me how I know...

I've had the best luck when I started with some easy SPS like bird's nests, make sure my system is consistent and reliable with temperature, lighting, and nutrient export then go ahead with higher end SPS.

makin corals pastel is quite a general problem of zeo--though it has produced dozens of new products to fight against it with

i guess phol's extra really helps--based on my previous eps. for me i usually have no problem except with red n green

i've always dumped my corals in after the cycle no problem

MWoodhill

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i like thanksgiving turkey but hate gossipin cousins :celeb2:

so took some pix of my tank. it's one month old so it's undergoing some algae outbreak. leave it alone, the corals r quite happy, growin fast n colorin up

cali tort. when i got it, it was brown. now its very blue--more bluer if looked top down and has a small twig

tkscalitort_zps3dc61c7b.jpg

superman milli, gettin its green tips out and still workin on the red polyps

tkssupermanmilli_zpsdaa7dd81.jpg

pink lemonade

tkspinklemonade_zpsfb55a5de.jpg

firefighter digitata

tksfirefightdigita_zpsaa291043.jpg

red planet. I'm running zeo system it seems to makes corals light. it was very intensely red when i got it. it grew fast but becomes paler

tksredplanet_zpsb58d73c1.jpg

hawkins echinata. totally recovered and colored up. grew fairly fast too

tkshawkinsechinata_zps14dd7318.jpg

unidentified frag. quite potential--pink base with green/yellow coralites

tksunidentified_zps8e11a833.jpg

purple plasma

tkspurpleplasma_zps77153874.jpg

a better picture

tkspurpleplasma1_zps4bddf3bb.jpg

panope birdsnest, a fast grower, too

tkspanope_zpsd67e3d35.jpg

one not sps but also cool, green frogprawn with purple tips

tksfrogprawn_zps9f16c92b.jpg

so enjoy and happy thanksgiving

viplok

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Thanks. Still workin on that stubborn pair of bfc that have yet to host the mag. Damn, don't know why they don't even give a **** to their natural and only host anemone

:banghead:

haha happen to my stupid clowns too. until one he accidentally ran into it chasing for food and never left since.

its always a hit or miss. shift things around alittle to get them out of their comfort zone and they will start to relocated. maybe to somewhere you wanted to this time :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

MWoodhill

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
is that hair algae all around the purple bonsai.... if so you gotta start running some carbon, phosban and some serious water changes

Nope. Id should be golden algae/chrysophytes. Possibly some new tank symptom coz this algae thrives on silicate. Those on glass gets to bleach and rip off

IMO when you see algae outbreak, water change won't always do good, in particular in Dino case. I run zeo so I got zeo and phos now in check, usually 0.00--the alage should scrub some off from the water

I start the tank with dry rocks that leached tons of phos the readin was 0.38 at peak

Will see what's happenin in 3 months. If it stays, I'll dose algae x

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: