Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Reefer Ratings: (33 (100%)
Friends: (24)
Send a Private Message View lnevo's Twitter Profile
Lee's 65g Mixed Reef

You can see in that last FTS what happened to the crappy blue background.

Sometime in December I started battling some STN that was happening with those SPS pieces. Tissue was melting off slowly. I tried fragging and remounting. Everything was testing fine...I should have questioned the 0 nitrates more...but everything was clean. Phosphates were low, no algae issues, but my corals were dying.

I ignored the problem for two months. Did my normal maintenance and got on with life. Looking back, I know what I would do different but at the time it was very depressing.

The only positive about this episode was it landing in the middle of the holidays....and that means PRESENTS!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Reefer Ratings: (24 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message View oh207's Twitter Profile
Very nice tank and very clean setup. I have the same tank with somewhat similar rock-scape and I'm impressed with how neat you have the cables.
I never thought of utilizing the space behind the door to mount the Vortech controllers. I will try to do the same. Following along.

---
Search for Cancer cure, search for Aliens, and search for the meaning of the Universe.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh207 View Post
Very nice tank and very clean setup. I have the same tank with somewhat similar rock-scape and I'm impressed with how neat you have the cables.
I never thought of utilizing the space behind the door to mount the Vortech controllers. I will try to do the same. Following along.
Thanks! I like how you mounted your apex modules!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:15 PM
The holidays came and went and thanks to my generous wife, I had plenty of happy nights of Hanukah.

Also on the list was BRS gfo and rox carbon. The carbon went into a mesh bag in my filter a sock and the GFO waited till i could setup the reactor.

In addition, I got the flush kit, pressure gauge, and tds meter for my ro/di.

It would take me a while to get everything together especially since the tank was showing the first signs of stress.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Reefer Ratings: (24 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message View oh207's Twitter Profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnevo View Post
Thanks! I like how you mounted your apex modules!
Thanks. They fit nicely in that location and the EB8s are on the right wall. But after seeing a few threads on rust and evaporation
I'm a bit worried.

---
Search for Cancer cure, search for Aliens, and search for the meaning of the Universe.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Reefer Ratings: (53 (100%)
Friends: (27)
Send a Private Message
Nice progress.

And see, "real reefers" can come from Tanked!

Elos System 70 SPS
90 FOWLR
Old 10-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks guys! Thats one of the nice side effects of having all my electronics in that second container. Pretty much fully protected.

I still love watching Tanked and FTK. I just can't get enough watching aquariums. Now we have Saturday Aquarium Night Live and Tank Wars coming!

So onto the positive. February is rolling in. I finally decide to do something about the tank decline. I bring a water sample over to AV and do some tests. Steve helped me out and we tested the nitrates a few times because the test was coming out BRIGHT red. 80ppm the first time 40ppm the second. I'm sure it was somewhere in between if not closer to the 80 mark.

Now mind you everyone. I have the full two sets of API tests and every time I tested it came out bright yellow for 0ppm. I was sooo pissed. I came home with the Red Sea Algae Control kit for PO4 and NO3. I liked the Reef Foundation kit I had picked up at the swap so now I can get much better resolution and accuracy.

Did the rest of my tests to get a baseline and started doing big water changes. Basically doing 18g changes 2x a week. Kept that up for about 2-3 weeks. This helped tremendously. Nitrates were quickly knocked down to a more manageable level and one or two of the SPS frags started healing and showing signs of growth again!

I cleaned up all the dead skeletons and stuck with the larger volume of water changes. To this day I am still doing a 20g weekly WC. This calculates to 28% but i do a continuous water change so I figure I'm getting 20-25% effective.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:16 AM
With the holidays behind and the nitrate issue tackled, and with things starting to improve it was time to get some of my goodies hooked up.

I got the reactor plumbed and started running GFO. Started at 1/2 the recommended which was about 7tbsp which I increased 1tbsp at each media change.

Next project was to mount my dosing pumps

I made some containers for the two part out of SmartWater bottles. They hold 1.5liters and aren't too bad to look at.

I had this running with RO/DI water until just a few weeks ago.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:44 PM
Lee's 65g Mixed Reef

Took some great shots tonight. Thought I would take a break from the history and share some pics with everyone.

Yummy

Some sump action...

Uh oh.. ATO is empty..

Last edited by lnevo; 10-14-2013 at 10:52 PM..
Old 10-14-2013, 11:18 PM
Lee's 65g Mixed Reef

The build thread is mostly complete anyway so might as well get everyone caught up.

Bought and modified an Eheim auto feeder so I could control it from my Reef Angel.

Bought some toys from Avast Marine!

You already saw how the skimmer and skim-mate locker look.

Here's everything taken out of the corner

And tucked back in...

You also saw the dosing containers which get tucked in over here

And last but not least my controller board with all the new goodies hooked up

Last edited by lnevo; 10-14-2013 at 11:20 PM..