kingator

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
157   0   0
Tony this is a big improvement from your last tank!
attachment.php
lmfao lololol

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I finally went though this thread page by page as Im picking up the same tank tomorrow to upgrade from my 30 gallon rimless cube. man you made the process look easy! I have to say this seems to me as one of the smoothest and successful upgrades I have seen on MR. well done buddy.

Few questions,
LIGHTS
1) Are you happy with your current bulb setup? My 30 is on LEDS but I have an 8bulb ATI power module (non dimmable) for the 120 and I could use some input on bulb selection. I also plan to keep my SPS about mid tank like you.

2) How high do you have the T5's from the water line? and did you have to adjust it when you first set it up? I will be using all new bulbs from the start. What does your par look like? (what ever it is its working well)

ROCK
1) I see that you used the rock from your previous tank. If you could go back would you do the same? Im not sure if I want to use any of the rock from my 30. I had a few Aptasia (maybe 3 tiny ones) but a few peppermint's ate them right up and I haven't seen one since. Am I being too careful here?

Can you share a little more on the filtration you have running the beast?

The only reason Im asking so many questions is that I can tell your here to help others out, and I have a lot of the same equipment. Any other tips that I didn't cover that might help me out?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
1. I love my lights. I have them set 6-7 off the waterline.

Im currently running
2 ati purple plus
1 ge 6500
5 ati blue plus

Love this combo.

2. You could start at 10" and see how corals react. Lower it weekly little by little and see what happens. Ive nevered measured with a par meter. I look at my corals and they seem very happy.

3. The rock is totally your call. I had mostly all dead live rock from my 1st tank and kept moving that over and seeded it with 1 nice piece of live rock. As my upgrades got bigger added more dead rock.

Filtration
-You need a great skimmer. I have the skimz dc line i forget the model its somewhere on here.
-Fuge with cheato and other algae would be great.
-Filter socks (change every 3 days)
-Blow out rocks (with a turkey baster) every once in a while (on days you do waterchanges)
-I do 10 gallon bi monthly waterchanges
-Phosban and carbon in seperate reactors is a must (i believe in them)

And most important is to keep all your levels stable......

Last edited:

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
good Im on the right track then thats pretty much what I thought. My LEDs are like 25" above water line so now I have a starting point for T5s. Ill do a little more searching about bulb combos but I might just copy you and see how I like it right out of the gate lol.

Yea im not sure about the rock, I have tons of good algae and millions of brittle stars in my rock but the last thing I need is xenia or a mushroom popping up a year from now and killing SPS. red mushrooms are a Nightmare!

unless there is a deal on something I'm planning on the DC 170 diablo from RO.

thanks Tony, I'm sure when I get the tank up and going ill run into some other questions. you the man

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: