iCoral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
HELP!!! Does anyone have the same problem with Reef Octopus Luxury tank or any rimless tank bowing a little with water filled? I notice the front glass near the top only (bottom is ok) has about 1/8" bow/curved when measureing from the back to the front. Should I be worry? My tank/stand is level.

LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even my 29 glass tank has a center brace... i dont see what ROL rimless are thinking with 32-90GALLONS without center brace

hopefully you're within manufacturer warranty and in any case i'd get them on the phone and follow up with email/letter of complaint asap

iCoral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Rimless tank

I emailed the manufacture about this issue already. Here is the last reply from them.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 581

LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What gallonage?

(edit: ^nevermind.. you read my mind)

Its scary the manufacture does not set any parameters for bearable vs unbearable bowing.. which leads me to conclude they have not tested variables, ie 2,000GPH return pressure against a wall in addition to the gallonage, for instance =/

Last edited:

iCoral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Not sure is it normal for all rimless to curve a little in the middle towards the top.

I'm kinda stuck with this tank. Should I even continue setup the tank. I have drained the tank after I noticed this.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
I have a 57 oceanic rimless and it has zero bow in it and measures flat level across front and back , how thick is the glass on this tank? I don't think it's normal to even be able to notice a bow in your tank , does not sound like a good thing in my opinion , may even prevent some sleeping if it was in my house .

LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it seems the old standard was that glass tanks 30" length or less, need at least one center brace even when there is the top rim providing anti-bow support.

The new standard I'm noticing is most manufacturers are now even bracing 30" glass rimmed tanks.

In my 30" rimmed braced glass tank, when filling or making waves with my hand while cleaning rocks, I noticed alot of bowing with the movements (despite having a center brace supporting just 15inch on each side, plus the top rim's support.) I mean, serious bowin like the glass is plastic all of a sudden.

I wouldnt just trust a manufacturer's blanket assurance their rimless tanks bowing is harmless. what about extra pressure cleaning and leaning while servicing tank?

Surprised this is the first issue with a rimless main tank bowing on here, if it is..

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
36x24 1/2" glass here, rimless and no center brace. After your thread, I went and measurement 5 different spots on my tank - front to back and not even the slightest variance, tank has been running for 4 years.

Personally, I would insist on a replacement or a refund. The lack of peace of mind would drive me nuts.

LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kinda stuck with this tank. Should I even continue setup the tank. I have drained the tank after I noticed this.

PS: Don't say that! Whether you paid half a grand or a grand or what, money don't grow on trees and you should have the LUXURY of peace of mind with your setup especially from the get-go.

I wish there was someone else with this tank and the same issue that never worsened into disaster, to vouch for the bowing being harmless. But absent that, remember you just received the tank this way and have the right to return the tank and get your money back because it's defective no matter what crap the manufacturer try to feed you about tolerable bowing; how come the dude with a bigger rimless dont have any bowing at all, huh? :eek:

This hobby is for creativity, stress relief & investment, NOT despair, sleepless nights, and waste. :givebeer:

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
We recently installed a 280gal rimless. Galonage has nothing to do with bracing, it's all about the engineering. CoralVue is one of the biggest companies in this industry and you aren't the first person to get one of their tank systems, I'm sure you'll be fine.

If you're still worried why not try googling any known issues with that setup.

iCoral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Thanks, I have tried googled this tank setup but not much luck. It seems like not a lot of Reef Octopus Luxury owns out there. I have even tried reaching out to possible owns of this system but no replay yet. Also tried posting on Nanoreef.com and reefcentral.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: