zx33gh.jpg

dq3h53.jpg

2ugpjr5.jpg

BX1157

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looking great so far!!!

love this dimension, its like the elos midi, good luck with drilling, everything looks neat!

love your handy work building the stand.

Thanks Guys!!!...I was pleasantly surprised with the stand?didn?t think I could do it!

get rid of the eggcrate on the bottom.....

Looks nice keep up the good work y the egg create ??

I see a lot of people using it to keep the rocks from resting directly on the bottom pane of glass. Also, that underpass in the rockwork is pretty low?I figured with it being on the eggcrate it will get a bit more height. You won?t see the eggcrate once the sand is in there. :)

BX1157

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The point of not having eggcrate in there is not for view it is all those little boxes get filled with sand. Which a cleanup crew cant really get to. As already said i would advise getting rid of it

good point!!...I'll take it out tonight!

I can't wait to get the ball rolling again with this tank! I will be ordering the glass-holes overflow and return kits next...I want to get the drilling out of the way as soon as possible!

Last edited by a moderator:

BX1157

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey guys, i've been really busy, so sorry no updates on the tank! I was going to place my gl*******s order today however, I have a quick question. I'm getting the 700gph overflow kit with the "short" bulkhead due to my glass not being over 1/2" thick. As for the return kit i'm not too sure whether I should go with the 1/2" or 3/4"...also there is an option to "insert ell instead of street ell"...not quite sure what this means. After some searching it seems as if the street ell is less curved (for better flow) and has a male end (threads on the end) instead of a solid piece of pvc. What would be the benefit of this?...or is the regular Ell better? I don't know much about sumps...quite frankly I have zero plumbing experience and i'm going by what I see on youtube and forums. As it stands now I was planning on using flex pvc instead of rigid pvc...supposedly it's quieter and easier to set up. Although, I am worried that a flexible pipe moving around would put pressure on the bulkhead and the hole drilled in the glass. Do you guys recommend rigid PVC or flex PVC?...and does it matter if I get the Ell or Street Ell depending on which type of piping I use? Tons of questions...sorry! Thanks in advance guys!

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
You should be fine but if you are worried do pvc from tank to back of stand and secure it to the stand, then use a flex pvc. Also make sure to "glue" the pvc's together otherwise they will leak. Make sure to leak test it afterwards. Not sure what you mean about the elbows but les restriction is laways better. Meaning not too many twist and turns.

Also make sure your return isnt too low, it could flood ur sump when the pump is turned up.

keep those photos coming, so far the tank is looking good!

BX1157

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You should be fine but if you are worried do pvc from tank to back of stand and secure it to the stand, then use a flex pvc. Also make sure to "glue" the pvc's together otherwise they will leak. Make sure to leak test it afterwards. Not sure what you mean about the elbows but les restriction is laways better. Meaning not too many twist and turns.

Also make sure your return isnt too low, it could flood ur sump when the pump is turned up.

keep those photos coming, so far the tank is looking good!

Thanks! I think i'm going to go with rigid pvc. I won't be painting the back of this tank black so I want it to look as clean as possible! I will use the rigid pvc and paint it black. I'll have to stop by HD and pick up the pieces I need along with pvc primer and cement. I opted to go with the street ell so there will be a threaded connection coming out of the overflow. I would prefer it this way so that I can remove that connection if needed. The overflow and return kits were ordered and I should be drilling it soon! I stopped by my LFS store yesterday and gave them the dimensions of my sump so that build should be on its way as well...as soon as we agree on a price anyway! Everything is slowly coming together :division:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: