tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Thanks Awi!!!

I just got in my personal order from John and reef cleaners. I didn't really need snails when I had the tank bare bottom, but no that I have sand I need to make sure detritus doesn't just chill out. Of course some help on algae is good.

I usually only have to wipe the glass 1x a week and it's nothing major.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hahah not mich of an uodate. Had a bad crash over the summer. Only 2 sps left, fish got marine velvet only 5 left, some nice lps died or are slowly recovering.

The aquascape is alternative reef made. I really like it. It's bare now...but some day soon hopefully it'll be full again.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I FINALLY got all of my Apex stuff programmed and a few misc things done:

• I upgraded to Fusion (is it really an upgrade if it is not as easy to use as the earlier platform?? I mean updating modules and network setup, etc is easier on the earlier platform. The main thing I like about fusion is the pretty factor.
  • Set up my breakout box and used it to control a RGB Led Strip that turns on when the door is opened.
  • Installed and daisy chained (and added as a module) my DC8 so now I have 16 ports!
  • Installed my PH Probe
  • Finally added Kalk to my kalk stirrer
  • Rewired and re-installed all aspects of my Apex so that everything fits inside of the sump and all the wires go into the back entrance to the sump.
  • Washed out my skimmer and let it run for a few hours in a vinegar bath.
  • installed the skimmer bench that came with the skimmer and this time it works fine even though it's only 2 inches from the water line instead of 6.

All I need to do now is to purchase the legit WP to Apex cord from fish street.

I also did a 15g WC, added another 5g bucket for my ATO giving me a total of 10g to switch back and forth from to reduce my need to physically top off my top off!

I will be setting up my 2 BRS dosers some time soon.
One for vinegar to help my Biopellet reactor (first I will test to see if my use of this reactor over the past six weeks have helped any) and one for Mag I guess. I want to dose mag only because I think my clam uses a lot of it. I just noticed that some times when my tank gets a bit brownish hair on the back wall, once I add some more mag it goes away. I haven't tested for my mag levels (I have the red sea pro kit and can do so...just very lazy about testing).

I'm getting ready to get my sps going again.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Also, thank you for the comments!!!

Yes, alternative reefs is the name of the company.

It's a really nice piece.
I have to get rid of some of my softies. I have an anthelia and blue clove rock that's getting pretty wild growth and then a sinularia and carpet nem rock that I just don't need. The sinularia I may break off and reattach to my nepthea rock (2 kinds regular and palau) .

I cannot get anymore leathers. I now have the white tipped devils hand, the tyree green toadstool and the regular toadstool (new) that plus the neptheas are good enough.

My zoa and paly rock is fine. Will keep those. However, that rock is pretty full. Only space for 2 more frags since my gold maul and utter chaos died.

My euphyllia rock is rocking out. I think I have a baby torch that came on a random peice of rock. Other than that I have no torches. My last one died over the summer because of harsh conditions.

My acan rock...well, there are 3-4 frags that are making a come back. I need to get more but I'm not going to make too many moves on that. I spent a good amount of money and just had to watch those colonies die when I came back from the summer....

Other than that the only other thing that's new is that I have a sea horse and pipefish tank in my office/storage room. 2 horses, male and female, and about 6 pipefish. I feed them mysis 2 times a day. I have to pick up some more though, I have only a little bit left. They released babies their first week with me (prior pregnancy I guess). Those babies died as they would not eat the baby gut loaded brine and I could not find tisbe pods.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I see that I can no longer update the first post of this thread, so I'll have to do them anywhere now.

1- I have the full apex. Not sure if I logded that before. I run that with the normal EB8 and I added on a DC8. So, tons of ports for all things.

2. I am running 2 part on BRS 1.1ml dosers

3. I started biopellets in August, took gfo/carbon offline in Sept., Vinegar dosing in Dec., took Biopellets offline in January. Dosing Vinegar in 1.1ml doser

4. Picked up a great deal on a new in box, never used Tek Elite 8 Bulb fixture. This is the version with 4 huge fans that blow across the ballasts, better coated reflectors, high quality case finish. Rated 98% . I actually like the look more than my old ATI Sunpower.

Also, my tank is only 16" tall. I should be able to grow sps on the sandbed using my Current T5!

The DIY light project wasn't going my way and so when I saw the deal I figured it was too good to pass up. I am working on figuring out how to hang it. It comes with part of the hanging kit. Everything but the cord to hang and the fastener for the ceiling. I think I may get gothic looking black chains. I will probably get it up in the next week or so. I'm in no rush.

If all 8 bulbs are currently too much for my tank then I will just figure out the ballast lay out and make a pattern to reduce it to 6 bulbs.

5. I am collecting zoas for a zoa garden. I like the way it looks when they grow out.

6. I got a cool thick acrylic 10g ATO box. It fits in the furniture-esque metal box I have sitting next to the sump. So, now I store my ATO water, extra 3 part, testing kits, etc in that box.

7. I rescaped my tank. I will have to do it again. I want to get the gyre and since my tank is so shallow I am worried my sand will not be safe. I'm hoping to get it in the next few weeks. I'll post my thoughts on it when I can. I'll probably go with the fx150. The way that thing is designed, I can imagine that even the fx130 will blow my sand because of the direction of the flow. Right now my WP40 is run on 30% and there is no sand at the far .5 in end of my tank. So, to me, I may as well go wtih the biggest one . Esp. since the price difference isn't very big. If I ever did upgrade then I'd like to still have something useful. For now, I will just design my tank around it. Luckily my tank isn't packed with rock the way folks usually have it.

jaywee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Man that's a beast of a light fixture Will! How u gonna put it up? No more wood planks poking in the eye anymore? Haha That's gonna color up your tank real good. And can't wait for your review on the gyre. I assume u getting the new 130? I'm thinking of that too but for my 32g nano, I think it'll be a storm unless on the most minimal setting.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
ahahahhahahahahah "no wood planks poking the eye" hilarious. My wife is definitely happy I took down the planks.

I am happy to say I should finally be done ALL major upgrades/changes to my tank.

In anticipation of the light being overkill "hot bath!" for my tank given how shallow it is, I am of course going to have it raised pretty high (if I can borrow my friend's par meter I'll use that to adjust), also, I will only set it up as a 6 bulb unit for now.

I've had a hard time finding any information on how the ballasts are set up though.

I read that each ballast controls 2 bulbs. I will have to play with it to see which is which, then pick 6 slots to run if possible. It also depends on which cord runs what.

Can't be worse than running MH on a shallow tank.

I bought this because it was a GREAT deal and also because If and when I get a taller tank (remember, I originally wanted the 120 Rimless DD but had to settle for this). I just wanted a tank that fit the manifold that came with my sump set up.

Also, as for the gyre, I'm hoping to get the 150 actually. I always tend to buy bigger than I need, and on a pump, I am fine with running if at 30 or 40%.
I have the WP 40 in there now and run it on the lowest controller setting AND have it powered down to 15v instead of the full 24v and I like it just fine.

I anticipate sand being more of a problem with the gyre given the fact that it also has downward flow UNLIKE the wp40 which is straight ahead in whatever direction I put it.

If it comes down to it...I'll remove the sand, maybe install that white plank people with bare bottoms put in their tanks. The first 2 mos of this tank I ran bare bottom. I only added sand because my wrasses looked funny sleeping in a corner. We'll see.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Oh,

Remember the black electrical conduit pipes? I'm having the fixture from that. I am thinking of getting some cool gothic looking chains. The fixture comes with eye hooks that screw right into the back of the fixture. I can hook a chain to that at 2 points, then hook that chain to a toughlok caribeener and slip it onto the conduit pipe if I find some way to make sure there is no slippage.

I just sold all of my back up fixtures in order to help pay myself back for these recent and near future expenditures.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hm when I had the ati running it was probably 12" above the tank. I never measured but that's the number via recall

Thanks Zuska!

Jaywee, I may have to scrap the chains idea depending on how aesthetically pleasing it is to more than just our brains.

If it's not hung by tomorrow afternoon I'm just going to go to hd and try and figure it out.
Lol, tank has been using 1 MH pendant light since monday. I had to move all of my corals to one corner!

Definitely not a good look!

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Picked up the Life Reef vs 24 skimmer!

I'm excited about it. I love the simplicity. There is nothing wrong with my current SRO 2000INT but this is a skimmer I've always wanted to try. I mean...what other major reef product can you call the guy that made it? What skimmer has a 10yr warranty?

Since I haven't sold my sro yet, I think I will take careful measurements of it's performance and conditions (water height, rate and qualities of nog and bubbles etc.) Unfortunately I dont have a pressure meter.

I will of course have ti give the life reef some tine to break in.

One quality I will also have to determine is wether or not life reef lives up to the hype of not having to adjust after certain environmental changes.

Although I do wonder about the husbandry of some folks that complain about havkng to adjust their skimmers constantly.

It took me a while to learn the sensitivities of my sro. I know that I need to wait at least 30min after a major environmental change for it to get back to regular internal water height. That if I put my hand in or dose something it'll reduce the foam head by 3 inches but will be back up. If I add too much fresh or new salt water too fast (like water change day) it'll go down 5 inches and take it's sweet time processing the change.

I know that if I want to avoid that I should turn the skimmer off 5mins before water change and keave it off for at least 30m or so after the environmental change before I should expect it running as before.

It takes building a relationship before you make judgement calls!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: