Serega

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
lol, still no sand.
I really like it without sand.

I get to clean the glass on the bottom of the tank.
To get detritus I can just blow the WP40 at the bottom of the tank and let it go into the overflow.
no vacuuming necessary.

In the FTS it looks like you have a Melanurus or Christmas wrasse, how is it doing with no sand? I have one and really like the fish and was considering removing the sand, but don't know if the wrasse will get too stressed out.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I have a melanurus. He is fine he sleeps against the glass or ciddles with the other fish at night. He acts the same as when I did have sand. Only difference is that I can always fine him! Lol. These fosh have been friends for like 3yrs. They all came together.

So I think he is fine at least for me.

DavidS

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Red sea pro test kit

Hi,

Nice tank.

I noticed you are using the Red Sea pro test kit.
I've been using it for about 8 months now, and the Alakalinity & Calcium test kits are very good, but I've had issues with the Magnesium test kit.
It would always show readings above 1400 so I wouldn't dose. But when I hadn't dosed mag for 2 months and still had high readings, I got suspicious and tested with a Salifert kit which showed it was 1140.
Red Sea sent me another kit but it still shows much higher readings compared to the Salifert.
Wondering if you have similar issues

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hey David,
I must say that I am actually dealing with the same issue.
I have not yet compared it to another test kit, but will be doing so in the next few days.

My Mag readings are definitely through the roof, while having a clam and a plant filled fuge.

I am also using ESV. It is possible that I am mis-measuring something.

Either way, something is off!
I will post again after I use the reef master test kit I won over the weekend.

DavidS

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Fortunately, the low mag readings did not affect any of my corals (SPS, LPS etc).

It took me about a week to get my mag readings back over 1300.

I had been using Salifert for a few years and got good results from them.
Red Sea was recommended and I like the idea of not having to buy the whole test kit when I simply needed a refill.
Luckily I still had some of my Salifert kit (need to get more)
I did test the Red Sea Alkalinity & Calcium tests against other kits and they appear to be accurate.
I'll be interested to know what your findings are

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Sorry, for not updating sooner.

When I opened the master reef kit, it didn't have Mg tests!!! I thought it was supposed to as it has Alk and Calc and just about everything else I need.

I did test it again, and it only slightly budged from what it was 2 weeks ago.

I'll test again this weekend.

Thanks Ravi!

DavidS

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ravi,

Don't know if you use the Red Sea supplements, as well, but I received an email message from Red Sea indicating how you can make a Reference test from their supplements.
Here it is...

We can recommend the following solution is made to check the performance of the kit, however this is not a reference solution but is accurate enough to confirm if the test is performing correctly.

Element Source Volume DI volume
(not R.O. as it is only 93% pure) Standard level
Standard Range
Ca Foundation A 4 ml 996 ml 400 ppm ?10 ppm
Alk Foundation B 1 ml 999 ml 10 dkh / 3.6 meq/L ?0.5 dkh / ? 0.18 meq/L
Mg Foundation C 10 ml 990 ml 1000 ppm ?20 ppm

Please be advised that our liquid foundation supplements only can be used for this solution.

Unfortunately, I don't use their supplements, but maybe you do.

David

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
So, I have a minor issue.

I put my new aquascape in today and it looks great!

But i have to make room for a set up that I don't have to touch for many moons to come.

There are some rocks with soft corals on it that I don't want taking up space, but I do have some emotional attachment to them!

I.e. a rock with 5 huge mini carpet nems- very good looking. (can potentially fit)
A rock with large hand anthelia I've had for about a year, also has some blue clove polyps on it. (can fit)
A rock with a green sinularia and a mini carpet nem. (just can't fit)
Small rock with blue clove polyps. (can fit but has lots of aipstasia)

What do I do?

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
OMG am I going back to t5 after only 3 months with LED's. I mean I like that LEDs there's been many many many days I look at my tank and I think lighting looks good but just putting T 5's on my table for like 30 minutes had me in love again

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
cmantis: Sorry, just seeing this. Sure thing. I'll text you tomorrow.
I've been to 3 HD and none of them have it. Don't want to go all the way to AV to get it.
Thanks!

Dubs: Yeah, I mean, don't get me wrong. I've looked at my tank and said "wow, that's beautiful" with the LEDs. But the T5s just...have everything. Beautiful overall look, plus the colors of ALL of my corals are there.

I may eventually sell off the LED fixture and use that money to buy those reef brite LED strips that fit on the ATI fixture without drilling. It just hooks onto the existing bolts or something. Would prefer to find them used.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: