james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I also need some clarification on another topic...

I'm completely torn on transferring over my nano to the new tank or not.

I have really nice established rock in there full of bristle stars, All different types of beneficial algae, and encrusting sps. but on some of the rock I have red mushrooms, star polyps, xenia, etc..

do I move over the rock that has no visible nuisance corals or am I playing with fire? I did have like 3 aptasia's on one piece but my peppermint shrimp ate them within a day and I never saw them again.

I want to avoid a long nasty cycle by using my nano and I grew attached to the livestock.

any help is appreciated. I also read about people putting their rock into the fuge to seed the cured rock

empire

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
If you want to come to
Nj I have some caribsea floor special grade sand. What are you going to do to control humidity in the closet? Will it be a problem?

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
first I painted the room with shower grade paint. than bought a hydroponic grade humidity and temp controller. I also ordered a Panasonic wall mount bathroom exhaust fan that will be controlled by the controller. a portable AC will be controlled as well when it gets hot in the attic. I insulated the wall dividing the sump room from the attic, as well adding another attic exhaust fan. I THINK I got all bases covered but well see.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
So I finally got my hands dirty with something other than PVC primer & glue. I used the 10lb Marco 400 mortar kit and of course cooked pukani rock. I'm leaving the aquascape pics as a teaser because the live sand is clouding up the tank.

so I jerry rigged I filter floss trap
gegymabe.jpg

eqy5aqed.jpg

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
After those shots I added the live bacteria to jump start the cycle. I went to Aquarium Village and they really hooked me up. they gave me this stuff that they use in their tanks to kick start the cycle as soon as possible. way more potent then the normal Bio spira product from instant ocean. it was more expensive but I found it worth it.

it must be kept refrigerated, and a food source must be added 2-3 days after the addition.

adatysu5.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: