james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'm testing the temp of the exhaust on the ATI 8x54Watt powermodule. I'm trying to see normal operating temps outside the canopy so I can compare once it's inside. here's my ghetto rig

2equ5ety.jpg

teqe4ura.jpg

does anyone know what temp the exhaust should be?

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I recorded temps of 117 F about 3 inches from the exhaust outside the canopy. Im waiting for the ATI hanging kit to come in to put it back in.

unrelated question,

I still have unrecordable amounts of nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia. PH stable around 8.0.
Im feeding about a cube of mysis a day and 2 small scoops of freeze dry clyclop- eeze. 3 anthias and 2 small chromis.
1) why did I never see ammonia, or a spike in other params? Could the turbo smart 900 be THAT good that i instantly cycled dry rock?

2) When should I do my first water change?

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
You probably haven't supplied enough ammonia to see a spike. The bad part about that is you need to stock the tank very slowly so that the bacteria have time to establish itself. The 900 may have worked but I don't believe in "solutions in a bottle". Rather let it progress naturally but if it's working for you stay with it.

Rating - 100%
180   0   0
I never had any spikes when I used dr tims to cycle my tank either so you may never see one. Still take it slow because you need the beneficial bacteria to really establish in the tank. Any chance you could send me the plans, if you have them drawn out, of your canopy?

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
hey rideit, it's good to hear someone else using live culture and getting the same results. there's not a lot of info on this on the web.

sorry I don't have anything drawn out for the canopy. it's really basic tho, if you would like I could take detailed pics for ya

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Exciting updates. I started running my lights with the day time bulbs for 5 hours and the 2 bulbs for a few hours before and after that. brown algae is popping up everywhere. Im assuming diatoms?

Also, Iv been waiting out my cycle by researching and prepping for my first calcium reactor. Just now getting equipment in.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Last Xmas, I picked up a new MTS Pro-cal but sold it when I wanted a new pair of skis lol This time around Im going with the LifeReef LCR-2. After I got my LifeReef skimmer up and running I was so pleased with it I put the order in for their cal rx.

With the master flex pump, all you do is set the digital display to the mL/minute and walk away. It uses planetary gears and will run consistent 100% of the time. Users reporting zero issues for 10+ years is not uncommon for these pumps. having consistent effluent is one less issue to worry about.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: