Ok, all pvc welding is officially done. ended up only doing a double manifold after decided im probably only going to ever use GFO and carbon, but I made it so i can easily cut the manifold, add a tee, and add more heads if i want. Now i just need to hang the BRS media reactors and hook those up then i think its time to call it a night.
Final tally of the day, got the plumbing done (99.9%), all PVC welding done, reactors hung, reactors drains in place, overflow box completed, and the 4 ft power strip installed on the back of the stand to help keep things nice and neat.
I still need to figure out how to bend these flexible pipes that came with the reactors so they can connect into the inputs. I may end up going to home depot and trying to see if they have the 1/2" push connectors. I was thinking about doing a complete 180 on each of the lines using 2 90 elbows.
well home depot didnt have the elbows, so it was either wait for a BRS shipment which would have cost $20, get them from amazon for $25, or just caress the tubing until it did what i wanted it to do. I ended up going with option 3, which worked better than i expected it to.
Anyone have thoughts on having the media reactors drain into the return pump compartment of the sump? I tried reaching them into the skimmer compartment, but they dont want to move that way so i would have to figure something out for that.
Other than that, I think its almost time for a water test. I figure I can fill the tank with RO waste water for the leak test, while i make up the good water. after I get the all clear on the leak test I can pump the water out of the tank and fill it with the fresh mixed salt water.
does anyone know how long i should wait for pvc glue to fully cure? because thats the only thing holding me back right now. I thought i had heard 24 hrs, but not totally sure.
Yeah I realized that after everything was glued in. Didnt realize they basically lined up perfectly.
Also I was going to fill the tank with the waste line from the RO first for the leak test, and pressure test on the plumbing. If I just filled with good RO water and something ends up leaking so I have to drain, then all the RO water gets wasted. Also I will need the tank full to see how all the plumbing works. If i did it with RO then just salted it in the tank, then when i add the sand to the tank it will be cloudy for days.
yup definitely going to do that. I also think i may redo the manifold to just have them going straight up... Idk what I was thinking. If I had hung the media reactors first i think i would have realized how much smart going straight up would have been.
Plus it will end up being a pretty easy job if i do it because of that union you suggested I install on the line leading to the manifold.
well it looks like i didnt rinse the sand well enough. I rinsed 3 times but there is sooo much silt floating around the tank. the filter socks i originally ordered from ebay havent gotten here yet, so i ordered more from amazon yesterday which should get here tomorrow. Hopefully those help clear it up enough.
I got the skimmer running, figured i would try running some carbon too.... cant hurt? and I also filled the other media reactor with some filter floss. It's kinda starting to clear up, and thats before i put in the filter floss which i assume will help a bunch too. So it may actually be clear by the time the filter socks get here.
Im debating if i should kick around the sand bed again when i get the filter sock in place that way i actually get this crap out rather than just have it settle as a fine silt everywhere. I figure if i dont, then when i add the rockwork, it will kick everything up again.
The reactors and skimmer are fine. You can kick up the sand since its new and if you have time to waste. Is the skimmer skimming anything. If not raise the water level in the skimmer. Where is the level atm in the skimmer.
No power heads yet, im moving those over from the 90. So currently its just the return supplying the current.
Yes I do have time to kill to do it right, because the other tank is still up and running fine.
The skimmer is definitely taking some stuff out. i made it so the water level is about half way up the cone so it doesnt come out too watery. The way its skimming now when it settles in the collection cup about 1/3 is silt and 2/3 is water.