Attachments

• DSC02925.jpg
    DSC02925.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 406

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
so I changed the light on the refuge to a brighter white cfl from a much dimmer red/blue led.

The light bleed is causing algae to grow inside my protein skimmer chamber, is this something to be worried about? should I try to shade the skimmer some how?

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
New full tank shot... and a new massive batch of green reef chromis eggs. Just started feeding home made food this week and looks like it got the fertility juices flowing. :)

(edit: just realized the egg mat looks small compared to what it is... its shaped like a triangle with about 5" edges)

Attachments

• 1119151948a.jpg
    1119151948a.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 257
  • 1119151947a.jpg
    1119151947a.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Lets see... I kinda looked up some recipes then just started throwing stuff stuff together from packages of various frozen seafood i had.

The only 2 ingredients i purchased particularly for the food was 0.5 lbs of bay scallop, and 1 lb of squid.

So the approximate recipe is....

1lb squid
0.5lb bay scallop
~2-3lb cod
~1.5lb peeled shrimp
~6 sheets of dried seaweed
~1.5 cups of pellet/freeze dried krill mix
~3tbs vitachem
~1/4 cup seachem garlic guard
~4 full bulb squeezes of selcon
juice of 1 lemon

blended the holy jesus out of it. ill admit i did a horrible job blending. the cod was pretty much blended into a whip. most of the shrimp ended up the size i wanted it, and a good amount of the squid ended up way too large. So when i defrost the food i try to separate the squid pieces that are too big and feed those to the anemones. The acans and duncan love this stuff as well.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
And to remedy the blender issue, im going to try to blend up smaller batches of stuff next time, keep all the different things blended separate because they break down at different rates, and also going to try to cut the fish into smaller pieces before blending... rather than just throwing 1lb of whole shrimp, 1 lb of whole squid, and 0.5 lb of whole scallop into the blender and hope for the best.

And another note... I kept about 1/3 of the shrimp out of the blender and just sliced it into the smallest pieces my knife skills allowed me to which are perfect sizes for the larger fish

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: