STHILL

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
I had my finger ready to click and buy the light yesterday (payday) but I realized there are other things I still need before I need a fancy light. Plus it'll be a while till I add anything that needs the light. So instead I bought a new water test kit, some bearings for my mp10, a few other odds and ends plus ordered a CUC from reefcleaners. So that's where I am for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What bearings did you get for the mp10 ? Do u have a link

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
2fa884ccc2f445253d79587b782bfb95.jpg
the bearing numbers are engraved on the bearings but almost microscopically small.

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ugh for some reason Tapatalk has been dumb. Tried posting the last few times and wouldn't log me in. Anyway I ruined the dry side of my mp10 cause the one set of the old bearings wouldn't come off, then I went all hulk... and now I'm waiting for a replacement dry side. . The moral of the story? Buy a bearing puller, I tried and followed the YouTube video and failed. Fortunately I had the backup funds and plan in case I couldn't fix it.

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
a0a34b64497b8dfb8d865e1514dfb62e.jpg
c209a7af07972d860b4e48426bd8aaa7.jpg
I got snails in the mail today! Cleanup crew from reefcleaners, got a some nassarius, ceriths, nerites, and a ton of dwarf ceriths (ordered ~25 and got ~50). Tank is coming along nicely, if not speedily but I'm enjoying taking my time.

Found my macro and fisheye lens.

Last edited:

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was so excited to see my new vortech mp10 dry side arrived today! I got it installed and turned it on only to have the driver flash red and green. uh ok... so did some research and saw it's a code for not syncing with the wet side or some garbage. Anyway nothing I did would make it work so I tried swapping back to the old dry side and it worked still (loudly). That's when I noticed the difference:
cc89256c004f17e030e1acf17cb0ec6f.jpg

Yeah... looks a lot like the quiet drive dry side, right? Something... here's Hoping the vendor is cooperative or my wife is gonna ruin their day.

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Got a response from saltwateraquarium.com today. Apparently the new pumps are not compatible with old drivers... which is funny (not) because on the website it clearly states: PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
MP10 and MP10W Dry Side Motors for Generation 1 Vortech Pumps. These will not work with the Quite Drive system. These are replacement dry sides for before quiet drive."

So yeah...
they continued to inform me i need to purchase a new compatible driver. Yay . I advised them to update their product description and photo online as well. ??
c6fb6db333ce4e7da391655aaddb8b74.jpg

RotaryReef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sucks to hear about damaging the dry side by attempting to pull the bearing. I just installed a NanoBox LED into my BioCube 14. I will let you know my opinion on them after I run them the next few weeks.

What size BioCube do you have there?

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The mp10 was quite old and that bearing wasn't gonna go without a fight. I tried to save money by fixing it but in the end I'll essentially have bought an entire new mp10... on an installment plan.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the light. Are you getting the moonlight version too? My tank is a 29 but my old office tank was the mid size oceanic version. I can't remember if it was 12 or 14g. Doesn't help that I'm sick today and my brain is running on low hamster power.

RotaryReef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yes I purchased the moonlight version. I ended up buying the Tide Plus M. My Install can be seen here.

I got my first glimpse of the lights today when I ran home for lunch, huge difference from the stock BioCube lighting. I do however have the percentages set pretty low as not to shock anything in the tank. I will ramp up the percentages slightly every 3-4 days and see how the zoas and frogspawn react.:cool:

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've been sick in bed for the last 24hrs... got a response from ecotech this morning telling me what I already knew. It is the dry side for the quiet drive and I'll have to buy a qd driver if I want it to work. I'm going to PR next week so I'll consider ordering it when I return.

RotaryReef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Damn, the flu? Feel better before that trip!

They sell the Mp10es-MP10QD upgrade for $50 on thier site

Nice, what you planning to do in PR? Im usually stuck visiting family there on my "vacations" lol

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Some kind of super virus from outer space. It sucks.

Just looking forward to lounging on the beach and snorkeling around. The wife planned everything so we'll see.

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks, I actually used filter floss "In the beginning..." but I hated it, I'm cheap and the idea of a disposable filter bothered me. So I buy a 30"x36" sheet of 100 micron filter material (~$10) and it lasts me quite a while. I'm sure it's no different than what you could buy at a fabric store but it comes packaged nicely saying it's for aquarium filtration and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Really I cycle between only 2 socks, today I made 3 cause I was trying different "designs". A square filter sock is more work than a regular round one.

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
e7472d47f241c3615f9c893fd0802a57.jpg
my kids and I would find creatures and ID them before putting them back. World learning at its finest, these anemones were stuck to a mangrove propogule floating around
37c1bc60b40cc5d4d70ff3b9d8033f00.jpg
sea urchins, jellyfish, hermit-crabs, a large bristle worm and more! Was an amazing place to visit

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: