fluidimagery

There's more to life...
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just as a follow up on my past ich outbreak.

The DT has been going strong for almost 3 weeks now... Month and 1 week since QTing the infected fish... who may or may not have even had ich.

Anyway... my question is... since the fish in the DT have not gotten ich... is it gone? My thinking is that if the parasite has had nothing to host it... it will die off. Am I wrong?

I'm still going to wait a while to get any additional fish but I'm just wondering if I'm out of the woods.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I can't seem to find the info right now, but I was under the impression that the tank needed to be free of fish for six weeks to make sure that the ich was gone. This number was based upon the life cycle the parasite.

fluidimagery

There's more to life...
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
but to re-iterate my original question... if the fish DO NOT get the visible 3rd stage of "ich" (given it may not have even been ich) can the parasite still live in the tank?

If the answer to the above is Yes... I'd like an explanation.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
To reiterate my answer of "fish":

Marine Ich

Excerpt: Imagine if you will, a fish that randomly acquires a single Ich parasite. After a couple of days when the trophont is well fed, it prepares to drop off its host but waits for the environmental trigger of darkness. Meanwhile, the fish prepares to "bed down" in its favorite hiding spot in the aquarium; the same fish occupy the same spot practically every night. Now, the trophont leaves the fish, encysts, and begins to multiply. Several days to weeks go by and that same fish returns to its same spot at night, only this time there are hundreds of infectious theronts seeking out a host/victim in the same area. I am sure some of you are thinking that this is absolutely diabolical. Others can appreciate the simple beauty of this plan. To me, it is just another reminder of how remarkable evolution and adaptation is.

Do you think 1 single Ich parasite will cause the characteristic white spots aquarists look for when trying to diagnose Marine Ich? The choice remains yours and only yours, if you want a fishless tank to reduce the chances of re-infection.

fluidimagery

There's more to life...
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thank you for your reply and concern, although I can't help but sense the implied sarcasm in the posts. This is a really great site and there are many people with experience and advice, but sometimes it can seem that some of the more "senior" reefers are discouraging newer members from the hobby. I will not take it personally, but I've seen more than a few posts around here where someone is interested in or is just starting to setup a tank and they are slammed with sarcasm and negativity right away. Afterall, everyone needs a starting point, and without the advice and encouragement from others who have already travelled those roads successfully, how could the hobby advance?

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
I don't consider 3 separate threads with over 100 responses on your recent fish issues, getting slammed with sarcasm & negativity right away. As usual, when a member feels flamed, he/she blames the "senior" members. I wonder how many of those 100 responses are from newcomers?! Your tank thread shows one of the more thought out and beautiful reefs on this site. Any sarcasm you sense, is there to inspire you to care for your fish as much as you did in setting up your beautiful reef. The sarcasm is not implied...it's overt at this point.

Once again as the article suggests, 1 single Ich parasite can survive to reinfect your entire tank at a later point in time.

fluidimagery

There's more to life...
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thank you for the response on the ich and compliments on the tank. I'll keep doing what I'm doing with the fish and hope for the best. I'll continue to enjoy reading the sarcastic "inspiring" comments by the higher ups on the site. :lol2:

Have a good night.

fluidimagery

There's more to life...
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The whole thing?

Tank / Stand / Sump - $2000
Skimmer / Pump - $750
Reflectors / Lamps / Ballasts - $800
Reefkeeper2 - $300
External Return Pump - $200
Phosban Reactors - $80
Auto Top Off - $80
Reef Dosing Pump - $200
Smart Fans for Hood (4 x 4") - $90
Tunze 7095 & 2 x 6055 (if they ever come) - $750
Plumbing parts - $300 or so

Electric bill -- up another $100/mo compared to my 25g :(

Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
i screwed up

i have a 65 but want somthing like your tank 6k can be much but its worth it lol. wat kind of filter u use for your tap water? or what would u recommend for a 65 gallon tank tap water filter? i spend around 2k already... with all the dead fish lol bcuz i have ick in the 65 gal tank. how can i get rid of it??? and did u build the tank and stand and hood by ur self???

Will

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Glad to hear the ich may be gone... Ich is a very misunderstood disease . To give you an example , many years ago I read studies that were done in Labs where using sterile tanks ,they dropped the temp in the tank very quickly and the fish all broke out with Ich. This led them to the obvious conclusion that Ich is always present in the water column. I tried to find an article to back this up since I'm sure many won't agree with it but all I could find was this one article referring to the ich parasite.

PREVENTION.. It should be stated here that most workers in the field of fish pathology believe that these protozoans are present in all bodies of water and in a resting (latent) state within most fishes but only become active when fishes are exposed to stress or otherwise weakened. It is believed that the protozoan is introduced in a set up tank through new and not quarantined acquisitions. It is always wise to quarantine your fish for four weeks and use a white-spot remedy during this period. Washing newly purchased plants under running water may also protect your tanks.

fluidimagery

There's more to life...
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Ask Deanos about ich :) he loves to talk about it. J/K don't. I'm definately not the one to ask about ich as I just killed 4 fish trying to save them.

I use an ebay RODI filter that I've had for about 3 years. I think it works great, but have never used anything else. http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-2-110G...hZ002QQcategoryZ20756QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Mine looks a bit different but same generic brand.

I think spending the money up front to do things right makes more sense than patching things together down the road.

SoCalCreations built the tank / stand / hood and sump, I'd highly recommend them.

fluidimagery

There's more to life...
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
New Updates.

Thanks to everyone who made the Frag Swap happen. My wife and I had a great time.

Hopefully some people put my donations to use (Fluval 304, Waver Timer, 3 bags of Cheato, Ammonia Tests, Filter, and some Glass Cleaners)

tank070.jpg

Green Bubble from House of Fish - Frag Swap
tank071.jpg

Pink / White Tip Millie from Deepwater - Frag Swap
tank072.jpg

Green Monti Cap from Daceman89 - Frag Swap
tank073.jpg

Small Frags with my emeralds Hard at work
tank074.jpg

1.5" Crocea from House of Fish - Frag Swap
tank075.jpg

Pink Pocillipora I found in the back of a frag tank at my LFS - $5 lol
tank076.jpg

Zoo Rocks - Just after feeding
tank077.jpg

Nemo Rockin out.
tank078.jpg

Last edited:

Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
Hey did your eggs hatch yet? how much was the crocea? it looks really nice. and im looking at that tank and thinking why u dont have any tangs in there it would make it look so much interesthing. thats what fish i want to get when i get it right. yellow tang, hippo tang and a flame angel those 3 are the top line for me lol. enjoy your new coral:)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: