fluidimagery

There's more to life...
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I remember the beginning of last year when I had just finished my "huge" 40g system (upgrade from my 12g nano cube) and wondering how I would ever be able to make the tank not look empty. Well, that didn't take too long and here I am upgrading my tank again. This time it better last a few years.

My old 12g Nano Cube The end of 05'
47.jpg

The 40g system was setup in my office workshop where I didn't care too much about the sightliness of the plumbing, lights etc. Well I got married and in the meantime bought a house and moved the tank into it.

The "huge" 40g System
IMG_3143.jpg

Cabinet
81.jpg

Plumbing that can be seen from the side
13.jpg

The visible plumbing etc got old pretty fast and my wife wanted to have a cabinet made to fit all of it into. After we got the price quote for the cabinet I figured why not do a whole upgrade while I'm at it.

So here I am!

The wall it's going on is only 41" so I had to do more of a "cubish" tank. The next obstical outside of hiding everything was that the system would need to run on a single 15amp circuit shared by a few flood lights in the kitchen that we keep off most of the time.

I contacted SoCalCreations who did a killer job to help build the tank.

fluidimagery

There's more to life...
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
EQUIPMENT LIST:

Tank: 36 x 30 x 20 - Acrylic
Sump: 30 x 18 x 18 - Acrylic - 15g fuge
Cabinet: Mable - 36" high
Canopy: 12" high

Circulation
- Sump Return: Panworld 50px (590gph)
- Skimmer Pump: Blueline 55 (1100gph)
- Recirculating: Tunze NanoStream 6055 on a 7095 Controller (if they ever come out)

Skimmer
- MRC MR-2 Single Beckett

Lighting
- Reflectors: 2 xLumenarc Mini
- Lamps: 2 xReeflux 12k 175w Singe Ended MH
- Ballasts: 2 x Coralvue 175w
- Cooling: 4 x Temp Sensitive Smart Fans (4") in canopy

Other Items
- TLF Phosban Reactor
- JBJ ATO
- Reef Keeper 2
- 200w Titanium Heater

fluidimagery

There's more to life...
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Saturday I was able to get the canopy finished with fans and the lighting. I used Wire Looming to wrap the wires up and stainless screws to fasten everything. Very tedious!

electrical-01.jpg

electrical-02.jpg

electrical-03.jpg

electrical-04.jpg

electrical-05.jpg

I got some of the plumbing done yesterday but I still have some work to do, hopefully finish by Tuesday.

Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Wow, you are upgrading again? What are you going to do with your awsome 25G tank? If you decided to sell it, let me know bro. Remember, I bought your 12G tank :)

Nsr250NYC

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
very nice. just wondering why did you go with 2 175s? i think you would've been fine with one lumenarc and a 250 raised a bit higher. that would cover your tank. get that and sell me your mini's:biggrin: keep it coming

fluidimagery

There's more to life...
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks for all of the compliments guys. I can't take credit for the tank build since that was done by SoCalCreations who did a fantastic job.

The plumbing is finished and I just setup the base rock in the tank. Hopefully I'll get it wet tomorrow. I'm anxious to get the fish out of the holding bin in my bathroom.

I went with the 2 x 175s on the mini lumenarc for a few reasions. First... I'm not running a chiller on the tank so the heat needs to be disappated by fans. 2nd The canopy is only 12" high exterior... only about 9.75 of space to work with inside. The full size lumenarc although I'd only need one of them is 8.5" high which would leave me .75" to work. The minis are only 6.5 so i have a little extra to work with. Finally the tank is only 20" deep so I didn't see the need for the added wattage.

The old setup will be for sale once I get it cleaned up.

I have to run... the wife is calling!

fluidimagery

There's more to life...
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Some picture updates

Tank setup with "dead" sand and base rock. There is still about 60lbs in the holding container. Goal is to build archways.

Left
tank001.jpg

Front
tank002.jpg

Right (I ran the electrical from the wall behind it to the back piece in the cabinet. I'm a bit unhappy with the way I cut the hole for the RK2 so I have to put some sort of trim around it. Anyone have any ideas?)
tank003.jpg

Pictures of plumbing, any questions ask away.

Front
plumbing01.jpg

Looking in Right Side
plumbing02.jpg

Looking in Back Left
plumbing03.jpg

Canopy Front
plumbing04.jpg

Canopy Diagonal
plumbing05.jpg

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
very nice work you do there ,,good luck with your 90 ,looks like its going to be one sweet tank

good luck

Ronen

Last edited:

fluidimagery

There's more to life...
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks Ronen

Anyone know when the damn Tunze NanoStream 6055s are going to start shipping? I'm pre-ordered but originally expecting Late January... now I hear March. Anyone know if March is a solid date?

Also, will 600gph from my sump return be enough for the time being or should I think of better ideas for circulation? I bought a Mag 9.5 for the holding tank... maybe I'll just throw that in the 90 when everything transfers.

fluidimagery

There's more to life...
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Progress Update:

Rough night... It started out great... got the tank to it's home position and filled it with the water I had in the garage (about 50 gallons)... plumbing all checks out great... although i haven't tested the overflow yet but I'm confident in that being fine. First annoyance happened when I was trying to find the little baggy of plumbing parts that came with my skimmer (needle valve and hose adapter for the collection cup) I can't find where I put the damn bag. The garage is a complete disaster area with all of the fish crap around but no luck finding it there... It's too damn cold and icy to start getting rid of it now. I emailed andy at MRC to see if he can help me out with the pieces although it's going to hold me up switching things over. Hopefully they'll turn up. Next! I try to setup my RODI which I normally tap into the exterior spicket to make some more water. This time I tried to rig up something off of my hot water heater which is in the garage. There's a hose adapter on the cold water line that leads to the outside spicket... so I thought why the heck not. I go to turn the valve for the water on the main feed of the line and sure enough... I start seeing water coming out of the opposite side of my exterior spicket through the sheetrock... Just what I need, a broken pipe. Luckily it's just the garage and should be an easy fix but just my luck. I thought I had drained the pipe well enough...

Just venting, on the bright side the tank is looking good, I just can't wait to be done with the mess.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: