JasonE

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That's an awsome set up! Nice job. I do think you have too many food competitors though, and you should definitely steer clear of the Ghost Pipes. These are ridiculously difficult to keep, even in a species only system fed live foods.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
That's an awsome set up! Nice job. I do think you have too many food competitors though, and you should definitely steer clear of the Ghost Pipes. These are ridiculously difficult to keep, even in a species only system fed live foods.

I have had all of the livestock you see in that tank together for a long time (with few exceptions). Everyone gets their share. Surprisingly, most of the fish in the tank besides the Mandarin, Pipefish and seahorses don't go crazy for Mysis. They are used to eating different types of pellets (two different kinds a day). They pick at the Mysis but don't affect the amount the seahorses get to munch on.

I have ghost pipefish and they eat mysis like the rest. I haven't moved them into that tank yet because I have concerns of the bioload. Waiting two weeks to see how things go.

I have found by having an established group of seahorses and pipefish who eat mysis helps bring other difficult feeders on mysis. For example, I have 5 banded pipefish, 4 straight from the wholesaler. Within two days in the tank with the one I have had for a year or so they were eating mysis. All 5 mandarins I have had went straight on to mysis and so have others (northern pipe, ghost pipe, bluestripe pipe, etc). Really fascinating how it works.

When I move the bluestripes and ghost pipes over to the tank I'll post updated pics.

JasonE

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I wish you luck. You've done your research and certainly look like you have set up an awsome system. I am fascinated to follow your experiences with Solenostomus. Mine have been less than fair!!
Please keep us posted.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I wish my mandarin would eat mysis. :(

Most of my fish will eat pellets in preference to everything else. If I drop mysis and pellets in at one time, my clown fairy wrasse will gobble the pellets and leave the mysis. Same with my royal gramma. The chromis prefers the mysis.

My mandarin will (thus far) only eat live food with the occasional sample of cylopeez.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Well, something I feared has proven to be a problem. I used very fine live sand and it is constantly getting kicked up into the water column. I was afraid of this and took the chance anyway (stupid me :banghead: )

I was either thinking of putting more heavier sand on top so I maintain the good bacteria and limit how much of the fine sand is exposed to the water or completely removing the fine sand and replacing with sand a bit "heavier". What do you guys think I should do?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
time for an update?

I had a chance to visit Dom's Zoo this past weekend. I have to say his dedication to the animals he keeps is most impressive. After watching him feed all the critters in his apartment I don't think there is a animal he could not get to eat an prosper. He even got a rabbit for his dog Rusty so he would not be lonely during the day :) :dog: I wish I had a photo of Rusty he was one of the cutest dogs I've met.

JHL_5085.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: