Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I would just leave the tank as is for now I doubt it's going to really go through much of a cycle since you used live rock from someone's tank. Although the livesand is probably what is giving u spikes in your params right now. The bagged live sand has always given me doubts as to exactly how effective it is as opposed to livesand from an existing tank mixed with the dry stuff.

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
subaru- i love it. it is just so easy! well, i got mine pre-assembled so that's probably why. it comes with two powerhead-like pumps, a heater, a protein skimmer, filtration chamber, t5's with moon lights, and my favorite part- timer. during the day you can opt for the t5s with moonlight or without moonlight and at night the moonlights glow around the clock. the timer is very precise to the 1/4 of an hour and is the best to customize your viewing time :biggrin: sure thing ill put up some more pics.

so with this cycle-less rock about how long should i wait until its safe for fishies ??? im in no rush(sorta)

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
can never really tell, the rule of thumb is about 4-6 weeks for a normal tank to cycle but there are so many factors it can vary greatly. I would just keep checking the water and don't touch anything. Once your ammonia drops and nitrite drops to undetectable and your nitrates are low you can start with some small stuff.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
what a better way to strt off a tank with all those nice hitch hikers

Nice score E !!!!:approve:

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
thanks but im still kinda scared of that 4 inch long millipede type thing. it wasnt hairy or anything so idk what the heck it is!

did some readings
salinity 40ppt :bigeyes2: yeah i know im going to add some RO DI water to balance that out. my temp is 78.(6ish) degrees fahrenheight (no its not celcius, im not cooking my rock lol)

im gonna work on catching those bristleworms and that millipede. i bought a few of the stick on ph and ammonia readers but dont worry im still going to carry out daily tests. i post pics of my 4-legged starfish later

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Congrats on your new tank Emily! I wish you the very best with it!!

And remember..patience is key!!
You need to think about a Ro/di unit long before you think about fish & livestock.. :)

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
hey guys get ready for day 3!!!!
so i have alot of pics from last night and today. i got a few questions about my stuff.... lol

heres my handicapped starfish! his camoflage makes him look like he has 5 legs. oh sorry about the pics. after i save up for the RO/DI unit and the refractometer, a macro lens is next!
smstarfish.jpg

here is my largest mushrooms growth from yesterday to today. its really spreading out!
yesterday:
sm2461.jpg

today
sm2532.jpg

what is this? dead mushroom?
sm2468.jpg

my conch found the spot with the most flow in the tank :biggrin:
sm2521.jpg

hood up shot
sm2515.jpg

little feeding flap up shot. man i have alot of microbubbles... will it go away?
sm2509.jpg

one of my not-so-little wormies!!!:bigeyes:
sm2476.jpg

top down shot
sm2436.jpg

lights, fan, and skimmer
sm2433.jpg

enjoy!!!!

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
nobody likes to look at my photos :( lol
do conches have a record of escaping? my conch is going all around the rim of the tank trying to get over the "safety guard" that prevents her from doing exactly that!

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Nice photo's
That starfish is an asterina starfish
The mushroom is stretching its legs
The "dead mushroom" is probably the foot of a mushroom which the big one left behind, it'll grow into a new mushroom in time.
That not so little worm is a bristleworm
Enjoy exploring your live rock :)

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
the conch should stay in the tank.
the starfish is an asternia(sp?) bring it to jasons next time you go.
they can become a plague. they make good harlequin food.
that is a big bristle worm, better to give to someone with a larger tank. good luck getting it out.
the micro bubbles should go away as the slime coat builds up on the filter.
if not you will have to do some fine tuning.
the "dead shroom" might be a sponge, it's hard to tell from the photo.

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
thanks guys. ill try to catch that poor harlequin snack to be around the next time i go to G.A. I have about 2-4" long bristles and a few smaller ones. theyre so cute i will hate giving them away! lol ill try to find someone who can take them in. ill probably use a pest trap or something put a little food in and boom! it sounds easy but it will probably be way more difficult than that.haha will jason take in my bristle worms too? my conch is beautiful ill put up pics tomorrow

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
:scratchch :scratchch :scratchch idk what to get i definately want clowns a goby or blenny dwarf angel. i dont know really. whatever i like at G.A. that suits my ability

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: