cbui2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just found this thread so i am sharing my new project.

Here it goes, beginning of the year I had set out a new year resolution to setup a full blown reef system w/self automated capabilities as possible, also stated in the title, this is my very first full reef system tank ever.. I guess you can call me a 31 yrs. old virgin for reefkeeping, but not in real life LOL. Just a few months of knowledge, and countless hours through the night-morning reading and going through plenty #'s of threads also sending emails to all the guys here and getting back the quickest response ever in no time, and I can't thank you enough to everyone here on RC that is so helpful, unlike LFS here in New Orleans who just want to collect money, but get very little if any info. Please let me know at anytime if I am doing anything wrong or any helpful advice will be appreciated, Thanks.

Here are the list of equipment I have acquire,

Tank:
96"L x 48"W x 30"H (1" Cell Cast Acrylic w/1" Eurobace, 3/4" Bottom)
Custom built by The Aquarium Company in Winthrop, MN (Franz Metzger)

Stand:
48"H w/2" x 2" Custom built steel stand w/Line-X treatment
Custom built by The Aquarium Company in Winthrop, MN (Franz Metzger)

1st Refugium 150gal:
48"L x 30"W x 24"H (1/2" Acrylic)

2nd Refugium 135gal:
72"L x 18"W x 24"H (1/2" Glass)

Main Sump 150gal:
48"L x 30"W x 24"H (1/2" Acrylic)

Water Change Sump 180gal:
72"L x 18"W x 31"H 1/2" Glass)

Frag 100gal:
72"L x 18"W x 17"H (1/2" Glass)

QT 135gal:
72"L x 18"W x 24"H

Pumps:
4 Sequence 1000 SEQ4300
sump returns, skimmers, chiller, and reactors

Closed Loop:
2 Sequence 1000 SEQ5800
2 4-Way V3 Oceans Motion

Protein Skimmer:
Deltec AP1004

Calcium Reactor:
Deltec PF1001 w/ROWALith C+ Media

Phosphate Reactors:
Deltec FR1016 w/ROWAPhos® Media

Kalkwasser Stirrers:
Deltec KM500S w/ROWAKalk Media

Chiller:
Tradewind IL-180-S 1.5HP 18,000BTU

Heater:
?

Dosing pump:
SpectraPure Litermeter 3

RO-DI unit:
SpectraPure MaxCap 5 stage produces 180 gal/day

Lights:
6 Single 400w PFO HQI Metal Halide Ballast
3 Lumenarc III Pendenat Reflectors
3 Reef Optix V Super Sun Reflectors
2 IceCap 660 VHO Ballast 8 36" URI Super
9 PFO Flat Night Light Moonlights

Controller:
Neptune AquaController 3 Pro

here are some pics, project have been started since 3-10-07
tank2.jpg

tank.jpg

sump1.jpg

cbui2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's what I did on before tank arrival few weeks back on 2-15, of course first step was to clean the entire dirty garage, then recessed lighting was installed and sheetrock was removed.
2-15.jpg

2-15b.jpg

2-17b.jpg

cbui2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-14: i had the stand sent off to received line-x treatment since powercoating will rust eventually down the line.
3-14e.jpg

3-14f.jpg

3-14b.jpg

cbui2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-14: hey are some of my equipments that has been sitting around the house for about a month now, will be unpacking all of these soon. also tanks arrived and will be building stand for them.
part.jpg

part2.jpg

3-14.jpg

cbui2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-18: here are some more pics when stand was done.
top tank-135gal 2nd fuge
middle tank-100gal frag
bottom tank-180gal water change sump
3-18.jpg

3-18a.jpg

3-18c.jpg

3-18d.jpg

cbui2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-19: here what happened the following day, additional stands was built for skimmer and reactors. catwalk was also built since ladder was not going to be used becuase the risk of droping corals down;D
3-19.jpg

3-19a.jpg

3-19e.jpg

cbui2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-21: couple days later installed 12pc's 1" bulks, 3pc's 1.5" bulks and electrical wiring was run also.
3-21.jpg

3-21b.jpg

3-21c.jpg

bulkhead.jpg

cbui2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-23: here's the beginning of CL plumbing done and since this was my first plumbing job so mistakes was also made.
1st. since all hard pvc was plumb and pumps was mounted on 3/4" made it hard for maintenence to be done because hard pvc dont have that much room to give resulting in leakage after taking union in and out so many times.
2nd. since i didnt know how these pumps work, i went ahead and build them on 4/3" plywood and had them supported by 2x4 making it above the the concrete thus creating tons of humming noise which could be heard from the fish room (garage) to master bedroom. this told my wife oh no you better fixed that and baby couldnt sleep too. so i had to rip out all of hard plumbing and completely start back from the beginning with plumbing which set me back 4 days and i was mad, but kept my cool so had to rethink plans so that no more mistakes was made and having to redo anything and was getting on my last nerve.
here's the pic's-before
3-23.jpg

3-23d.jpg

after 7 days, this was the new scenario. completely quiet and the only things that can be heard was the fan which is not loud at all.
3-30.jpg

3-30a.jpg

3-30c.jpg

3-23e.jpg

cbui2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-2: new updates, some of the work past couple of days. all the plumbing for overflows, returns, skimmer and reactors are done. now that the sump is in place I will begin working on the intake for all the pumps, then water testing for all tanks will be performed this weekend to ensure fine tuning and hopefully no flaws, knock on wood and I do have plenty of them.
here are some pic's
4-2.jpg

4-2b.jpg

4-2c.jpg

4-2d.jpg

cbui2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-6: ok here are some updates couple days later from being up all night again till 5am, been busy all week and finally got some work done yesterday. sump was drilled and bulks were installed also connections had been made for all pumps intake and water testing will be coming up next.. this is what I use rigid hole saw and what can i say this thing cuts like butter.
4-6.jpg

4-6a.jpg

4-6b.jpg

4-6c.jpg

4-6d.jpg

4-6e.jpg

4-6f.jpg

4-6g.jpg

4-6h.jpg

cbui2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-15: here are the final stages of plumbing unless something else comes up, also I will be starting on my cabinet and lighting since parts came in on friday
this was done about 1 week later since i needed a break from getting high on pvc fumes. the rest of the connections into the sump for skimmers, reactors, overflows, and etc. ball and gates valves was used throughtout the entire system to ensure any fine tuning or maintenence needed to be done.
4-15.jpg

4-15a.jpg

cbui2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-17: few days later, here are some specs for my custom light rack which will be fully motorized.. i wanted to do something very different since i loved to dream, so please slap me already to wake me up one day when this is over lol. of course this is a one man job so few extra parts was used to lend a helping hand.
4-17.jpg

4-17a.jpg

hopefully this will give you some ideas how this will turn out..
heavy duty stainsteel slides were installed (500lbs holding capacity w/full extension), next cabinet plywood (7ply) and 2x10 was cut then treated with 6coats of spar finish over couple days.
4-19a.jpg

cbui2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-22: here are some updates, since I been busy working all this week and finally got some work done on Sunday. first thing on the list was to frame support for 2x10 then box in the light rack and hopefully my plans is to finished the light rack and cabinet this week, unless something comes up.
here are some pic's,
4-22.jpg

4-22a.jpg

4-22b.jpg

4-22c.jpg

4-22f.jpg

cbui2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-24: ok here are the latest update, and yes I did skip work to start on my cabinet. 1st thing I did was to make template using 2x4, then screw on to the cabinet cover so router can be used to make perfect cut & edges. sorry but didn't have time to take pictures of that. next was to round all edges down then 5 layers of spar finish to coat the back. next 2" strips was cut & sanded down for cabinet stopper then doors was cut and sanded also. finally mounted back onto the wall. tomorrow agenda--doors hinges, canopy and trimming.
4-24.jpg

4-24a.jpg

4-24b.jpg

4-24d.jpg

4-24e.jpg

4-24g.jpg

cbui2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-25: hinges are almost done since i only purchased 6 pc's, but found out need total 9, since the doors are extra large (25"W x 31"H) 2 on each is fine but 3 is alot better. so two outside doors are done and will work on middle doors tommorrow, HD here i come again.
4-25.jpg

cbui2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-26: ok here are some more updates, since shop was busy today and I couldn't skip work. i skip dinner instead, he he
my extra pair of slides came in today, so first thing was to support the light rack sides again and with a pair on each side (total max weight rated 1000lbs). yeah I have that much weight on my rack then stainless steel 316 nuts and bolts were use to hold them in place.
4-26b.jpg

4-26c.jpg

next in line was to finish front cabinet and probably molding and trimming this weekend. as for right now i need a break, ha ha i'm human after all
4-26e.jpg

4-26d.jpg

cbui2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5-7: ok here are some updates finally since I have been busy working.
all the trim molding are done and cabinets doors hinges are also installed. I am still debating if any molding will be installed around the cabinets doors below the tank. base molding w/quarter round will be installed to match the rest of the house.
5-7.jpg

5-7a.jpg

5-7e.jpg

5-7f.jpg

cbui2

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5-14: ok finally finished with cabinet and I am happy how this turn out, just plain and simply exactly how I liked it. I figure if all the trim molding was painted white then I can tell where the tank begin and ends. since i have blended the cabinet in with the entire wall. it has such a better view from all different angles. i will be working on lighting this week then chiller will be mounted and finished the rest of plumbing. 1 step closer on getting rocks & water in.
5-14.jpg

5-14a.jpg

5-14d.jpg

5-14e.jpg

5-14g.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: