KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Jhov..when I get around to fragging some of them, sure I'll swap you for something :)
Dimitry -make a mesh cover or use the glass one that came with the tank. Probably easiest to hang a pendant over it. I needed to make the canopy due to the size of the stand since I wanted a larger fuge.
Did you buy the stand that was designed for the tank..that is very pretty!
Ryan - actually it's mostly pine. The panels I used for sheathing the base are birch..they could have used more sanding...
Matt - no they are Ryobi's 18V..they work well enough. I'm loving the little circular saw..I can handle that one! lol

Thanks all for the kind words! ;)

Last edited:

Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Dimitry -make a mesh cover or use the glass one that came with the tank. Probably easiest to hang a pendant over it. I needed to make the canopy due to the size of the stand since I wanted a larger fuge.
Did you buy the stand that was designed for the tank..that is very pretty!

Thanks all for the kind words! ;)

I did get the stand that comes with the tank. It has caused some problems! The way the door swivels open - it kind of swivels inside and a measurement for a sump turned out to be wrong. The available width is a bit shorter with the door open than closed! :letitallo Who would have thunk it?

I wanted a canopy primarily to keep the lights from spilling all over the room. Where did you get the plastic net you used for your lid? I've only seen that in metal.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Thanks Leslie & Chief! :)

Dimitry -I noticed that about the stand that's made for the tank. If I recall, the biggest sized standard tank that will fit in there is a 5g which IMO isn't enough for a sump.. Yu may have to get one custom made. That's why I made my own stand for it.
The plastic netting? That I got at Ace Hardware but most garden centers sell it. Just make sure to get the type that has the small holes, not the one with the 1/2 holes - a fish can get through those.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
What the well dressed Scarlett Hermit is wearing this season...
P8050020.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Thanks all!! :)
Fritz..no, there is an ETSS skimmer (the skimmer from hell..), it is in the closet that is behind the tank along with the top off.
Crox - not sure what that is on the Hermit, but it isn't on him anymore. Probably something that is a pest that will multiply to be thousands in no time..lol
Emily - The is a Hawaiian Feather Duster (Awilda like that one too)..oddly enough it has 2 heads - one growing out of each end of the tube.. I'll get another pic up for you of it.
Eric - thanks I enjoy building stuff :)..there are even more rics in there now, need to get more shots of those too!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Time for an update! So much has changed...

I replaced the ETSS skimmer with an MRC2 w/a single beckett (sorry Pierce...lol). Maybe overkill for a 33g tank but I like the way they skim.
Aslo removed the SCWD and spray bar and replaced them with a 3/4" Seaswirl. Having some trouble getting the flow right in here with PH's as the tank is only 18 x20 and 25"high. Even with 400gph PH's it still wants to turn into a whirlpool and the rics blow 'up' too much.
I switched to an Iwasaki bulb and added a daylight bulb and 2 20" actinics. I bought Aaron's 7g top off unit (with sensors :)) and plan to install that tomorrow beind the tank..will post pics of that when it's done.

I will be reaquascaping when my new flat rocks have cured to get the rics up off the sandbed..so no ric pics yet :(

Just a couple of pics for now...

I got this pair of Clowns from Aaron (thank you!) and the RBTA has really perked up since they decided to stop hosting the frogspawn.
The color is not right on the RBTA..he's much more red in person...
PB120056.jpg

I FINALLY was able to capture the true color of these Yumas :)
PB010136-1.jpg

Thanks for looking & have a Happy Thanksgiving :)

roncgizmo

Thats Mr. Clown to you!
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would of never thought that Petco $1 a gallon sale would include the cube tanks too...

As cheap as I am why didn't I even try...lol Can't wait until they do it again...

Nice find Kathy, and you did an awesome job on the build.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: