KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
You have to love a sale.
So when Petco had that $1 a gallon sale last year I bought myself a 33g Oceanic cube. It was going to be a holding tank for my 75...a QT tank... but definitely not a 2nd SW tank.
Yeah right.
It sat empty for the first few months and then a friend had to get rid of a CBS and a Hawkfish that he'd inherited (he's a FW breeder) and asked me if I'd take them. Sure...I'll pop them in the empty cube and then acclimate them to my 75g..
Yeah right.
He gave me a few phosphate laden rocks along with the fish. I added some water from my tank and filled it up to about 10" deep and there it sat on my office floor for the next month or so. Feeling guilty, I added a few extra rocks & some more water and grew the most amazing algae in there! lol
I finally decided they needed to live better than they were and not willing to have the CBS have a dual to the death with my Fire Shrimp Krusty, I caved and started building them a stand (they were still on the floor at that point. The fellow who'd built my first fuge built me a second out of a 20L and off I went.
Proud to say I personally built the stand & the canopy and did all the plumbing myself. Like my other tank the top off & skimmer are behind the tank/wall in a walk in closet.
Though I pitched the phosphate rocks a long while ago, I'm still not happy with the aquascaping and will be rearranging it over the next few weeks, so you won't see a FTS yet, but here are some pics from the start of the build to now.
BTW- The tank has been up since December 06..

The lowdown: 33G Oceanic Cube w/20L fuge. 250W MH pendant (still need to hook up an actinic), OFB w/Mag 5, Mag 5 running the Terminator skimmer. Skimmer changing to the ETSS sometime this week. Seio 820 for flow along with a SCWD & spray bar for circulation.
Livestock: CBS, Coral Hawkfish, Coral Beauty Angelfish, Lawnmower Blenny, Lubbocks Wrasse & a Red Linkia and a bunch of scarlett hermits & snails
Corals: RBTA, Hammer, Frogspawn, shrooms, some rics, Coco Worm, a bunch of Feather Dusters, Yumas, Acans, Chalices, and my Ricordia Collection....

From the beginning...
IM000607.jpg

I intentionally made the stand long enough to accomodate the fuge I wanted and the space I had available. The cube measures 18 1/2 x 20", not enough space for a decent sized fuge IMO, so I also needed to frame the stand to hold the tank & a side area that I thought should be storage for equipment.

IM000617_800x600-1.jpg

I liked the idea of having a side door to get the fuge in & out (if I ever had to remove it). The front 'double door' makes it easy to access as I keep my frags in there to acclimate.
IM000621.jpg

IM000625.jpg

This is how the tank stayed for a couple of months..I knew what I wanted the canopy to look like but hadn't decided on a lighting plan. When I finally did, I had to work out a way that I could handle getting the canopy on & off and the shape of the stand posed some challenges.

It still had the originally crappy rocks with the algae issues at this point. I kept the water level low and did biweekly water changes since I had no skimmer on it yet.

IM000628.jpg

to be continued...

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
This is what it looks like now..the color is off in the 1st pic...
P7210001.jpg

P7210005.jpg

P7210008.jpg

The light hangs from a joist on the ceiling and I cut a hole in the top of the canopy for it. The canopy is built in 2 parts, the first being only over the cube and the 2nd is the section to the left. Both can be removed independently when I need serious access to something.
P7210013.jpg

Due to the 1 wrasse in there and the potential for maybe added another small variety wrasse, I do have a cover on the tank itself. The door on the right side of the canopy opens to access where I feed.
P3080017.jpg

Guess I should add some pics of the fish & corals...next post!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
My favorite part...the livestock :)

My smiling clam that I bought from Ronen with the mushrooms already on it..
P2020003-1.jpg

P6250010.jpg

Light Orange Yuma ..not bleached..this is is nice healthy guy and there is also a small baby on the rock.
P6270040.jpg

P7080010.jpg

P7160088.jpg

The Rainbow Ric
P6100052.jpg

More rics...
P6120067.jpg

And the Pink ones :)
P3130001-1.jpg

Will find some of the fish pics & post 'em soon.
Thanks for looking!

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
hey Kathy, cool stand and nice build log.
if you want some extra zoa's lmk I have to prune my
tank some more.

...just saw the "crab is in" sign, funny :D

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Thanks Jon, Steve, Tony...I love this little tank & so do my Rics!

JH..thanks considering my wood grain is conflicted.
I'll take you up on your offer :wink1:..thx!
..and 'the crab is in' sign, I bought that myself & nobody disagreed, not sure if I should be upset by that...lol

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Thanks guys & gal!

Jorge, - yup built it myself :)

Still need to add a piece of molding to cover the bottom edge of the tank. I'd originally wanted to have both the top & bottom 'cherry' edge remain visible but my canopy design covered the top edge and the lower one stands out like a sore thumb to me now.
Left out the pic of the area to the left of the tank...

P7210011.jpg

You can see where the canopy divides to remove in 2 pieces..and the only placed I cheaped out on filling in the screw holes..need to fix that :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: