bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
good looking sketchups. I like the 2 inputs for the closed loop. But I think you're going to have a tough time cleaning those grates every week or so.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of my closed loop. I have one on my 58 gal with an eheim 1262 going through an OM. it's okay. THe OM is LOUD. the motor just isn't quiet, and I haven't taken time to quiet it down. But I'd rather start with quiet then fight to get it...

But for the same price, work, plumbing, I could have put in a vortech. I'm in the same boat as you. I dont' want to see the equipment in the tank.

But then I've thought of the pluses of using the vortechs. I can get a battery backup that will run my tank for 24 hours. I can pull it out and clean it and have it back in the tank in 10 minutes. Since I have a black background, I could hide them pretty well. If I end up rebuilding the tank, The closed loop will be gone...

Other things
Since you're doing a canopy, take a look at lumenarc reflectors. One covers a 3'x3' area. Perfect for your tank. If you need a bit more room, go with the mini (so you can get your actinics in there as well)

I dig the stand. Having 3 sides access is great. and as Chris said, go as tall as you can. Since it's going to be tight down there, I'd do a wet section and a dry section. Or even build a bench that goes with the tank (and matches the design) to hide your electronics. Build two while you're at it, and put your topoff in another...

Ditch the mag 9. Go with an eheim. They run cooler and use less electricity.

Check this site out for sumps. http://www.acrylicsumps.com/NEWsumps.html
last year I built a cube sump for dreko, and there's a great ideas he's done. Also, he can build you what you want.

B

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I would use the Dart with NO eductors, that back pressure from the eductor and OM will cause the seal on the pump to fail quicker.

Two 1" intake for the closed loop is actually smaller than a single 1.5". Having two 1.5" sump drain is a overkill, one is more than enough but I would use two 1" drain for the fail safe factor if you have the room in the overflow.

Plywood cabinet will be fine provided a good joinery is used.

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
newtank.jpg

how tall are the bulkheads supposed to be?

Sorry guys, kinda busy with the holidays and haven't paid much attn to this tread...

fishgutz: the intake bulkhead will be about 1.5 inch tall plus the strainer for now. The out puts will be flush with the tank but will have an Eductor on locline.

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
good looking sketchups. I like the 2 inputs for the closed loop. But I think you're going to have a tough time cleaning those grates every week or so.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of my closed loop. I have one on my 58 gal with an eheim 1262 going through an OM. it's okay. THe OM is LOUD. the motor just isn't quiet, and I haven't taken time to quiet it down. But I'd rather start with quiet then fight to get it...

But for the same price, work, plumbing, I could have put in a vortech. I'm in the same boat as you. I dont' want to see the equipment in the tank.

But then I've thought of the pluses of using the vortechs. I can get a battery backup that will run my tank for 24 hours. I can pull it out and clean it and have it back in the tank in 10 minutes. Since I have a black background, I could hide them pretty well. If I end up rebuilding the tank, The closed loop will be gone...

Other things
Since you're doing a canopy, take a look at lumenarc reflectors. One covers a 3'x3' area. Perfect for your tank. If you need a bit more room, go with the mini (so you can get your actinics in there as well)

I dig the stand. Having 3 sides access is great. and as Chris said, go as tall as you can. Since it's going to be tight down there, I'd do a wet section and a dry section. Or even build a bench that goes with the tank (and matches the design) to hide your electronics. Build two while you're at it, and put your topoff in another...

Ditch the mag 9. Go with an eheim. They run cooler and use less electricity.

Check this site out for sumps. http://www.acrylicsumps.com/NEWsumps.html
last year I built a cube sump for dreko, and there's a great ideas he's done. Also, he can build you what you want.

B

The for the input...

1) I'm rethinking the Grates for that same reason. for now I'm just going with the normal strainers
2) I tested my OM 4 way and didn't think it was that load... I'll see what is sounds like when it's all hooked...
3) I was really thinking of going with the Vortech but the wife and I really want something that is as clean as possible. That why everything is drill through the bottom of the tank and not the back.
4)
a) I still want to do the 3 sided access but I thing it's not going to be strong enough with just Plywood. If I use 2x4's I have a space issue... I'm still trying to make up my mind on this and that is why I haven't started building yet.
b) I am thinkin 30.25 x 30.25 x 32. and I really like the shelf Idea... Let me see how to work that into the build
c) I was thinking about the "extra" cabinet but the wife wasn't havin it!!! "the whole point of getting ride of the 125 was because it was taking up too much space....." You can see were that convo when.....:headache:

5) I already have the mag 9 from my 125g so I'm going to stick with that for a while...

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I would use the Dart with NO eductors, that back pressure from the eductor and OM will cause the seal on the pump to fail quicker.

Two 1" intake for the closed loop is actually smaller than a single 1.5". Having two 1.5" sump drain is a overkill, one is more than enough but I would use two 1" drain for the fail safe factor if you have the room in the overflow.

Plywood cabinet will be fine provided a good joinery is used.

thank you for Replying:

1) I didn't think of that....but I am now thinking of only using 2 eductor on opposite sides... the hope will be that it will give it a suge effect... kind of... maybe...

2)
a) "Two 1" intake for the closed loop is actually smaller than a single 1.5". " whaaaa?:scratch:
b) I change my mind on the 2 drains... at first I was thinking of having one drian directly to a skimmer (reeflo 200 at the time) but changed my mind. so now it's 1 x 1.5 drain and 1 x 1" return

3) I'm still not sure what I'm doing with the stand... If I go with one door then I will built it like the DIY from Jhule. If I go with the 3 doors... then I have to think about it???

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I've Got Wood!!!

I just had the wood cut for my stand. I going to build the same stand that Jonnathan did for the MR Mag. I went with Red Oak. I should start the build tomorrow.

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
OOhh Great... I'm the guinea Pig :( lol

yeah... I'm going by your directions. The only diff. are
  1. no Feet
  2. on big door
  3. Crown molding I gotta try and figure this one out.

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I had just wood... now I've got a stand... almost??

Every thing almost went flowless with my stand build today.

Check it out.

2008_0113misc20033.jpg

2008_0113misc20034.jpg

And this is were the tank will go....

2008_0113misc20038.jpg

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Now for the one issue. Damn HOME DEPOT

First off... I had all the wood cut at Home Depot. and of course, they messed up on one piece and I did not catch it until about an hour ago...

They cut the back Panel 0.25" to short... check it out.

2008_0113misc20035.jpg

2008_0113misc20037.jpg

Is there anything I can do to fix this, maybe put a shim in there or do I have to get one re-cut. That would suck... I would have to buy one whole 4 x 8 sheet just to get this one part...

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
your lucky home depot messed up only one cut. I would never recommend having them cut the wood for your projects. it's just not exact enough. you can use hardwood shims to fix it. place them thick end in from the inside and trim them on both sides. Ideally I would do this the whole length of the gap. You are also lucky it was on a side, if it was the top or bottom you'd have to get a new piece of wood.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: