Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Inept at life.
Reefer Ratings: (23 (100%)
Friends: (13)
Send a Private Message
Josh, Glad to hear you don't have to postpone your tank, but Sorry to hear you're not going to italy.

I really like the 5'tanks. something like 60x24x20 is a 125 I think. you can put a 55 underneath as a sump/fuge, and still have a bit of room. Lighting becomes wierd with 5' though. but with only 20" tall, you can go with 250s without a problem. I actually have no problem on my 20" 20Tall with a 150. You could put three in there and be set!

And Just to let you know, I built my oak stand and canopy for about $100. Most of the cash went into the trim ($65 or so) because I wanted nice shapes. If I went with simpler trim, (or had a router table and bits) the cost would have been about $50. I also had enough scrap to build the waterbucket cover/seat. So I'm sure we (MR) could build you a stand and canopy for less than they'll charge, and you can cusomize it a lot easier. Plus, I've been itching to build something nice. . .

B
Old 08-01-2005, 02:32 PM
ReefsMagazine!
Reefer Ratings: (43 (100%)
Friends: (38)
Send a Private Message
well here's my take. I have a 60x24x20. I got that size because it was the biggest tank I thought I could carry up the four flights to my apartment.
I like the depth and the length, but not the height. I thought I would not need the height, but i was wrong. i makes a huge difference in aquascaping, and having room for coral to grow. After seeing Jim's 180 I knew that he had th e perfect reef tank size, there are bigger tanks sure, but the 180 has the perfect proportions.
if you have the 72" x 24" footprint you might as well go for the height, trust me on this, if you get a tank that low you will not be happy with it in the long run.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (163 (100%)
Friends: (33)
Send a Private Message
I thought mine was a masterpiece from glasscages, but then again, this is my first custom built tank - someone with years and years of experience with custom tanks may know better. I think mine is exceptional, though.

Jim

Old 08-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Australian
Reefer Ratings: (16 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
I second jhales comment about the depth, it makes a huge difference if you can just walk up to a tank and look straight in without having to duck down. My tank is a little too deep at 30 inches, things that fall to the bottom are difficult to retrieve, but only just. If it was just three inches shorter it would be perfect. Also proportionately a little more depth just seems to look right.
just my 2ยข
A.