• IMG_1512.jpg
    IMG_1512.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,026
Last edited by a moderator:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
WOW! 450g! :spin: I'd quit my job and stare at it all day..lol

What are the dimensions of that monster?
Tell us more, we want to know all about it.. and more pics please!!! :)

melev

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. I see it already has a couple of interesting angels. Do you plan to add corals?

Why do you have a sock in the refugium section?

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
The tank is 96L X 36W X 30 D
3 side starphire glass external overflows

no problems with the angels the only thing they have ever touched were zoos and a ailing toadstool(toad stool got choked by brown star polyp)

as far a s corals I lost over a dozen acros to AEFW within last couple of months while still in the 180 was dipping the remaining every 3-5 days and scaping eggs when I saw them nature will take it's course I guess
hopfully the Argus wrassse will help with that problem i've already seen him hunting at the base of a couple of corals, flamme angel has been too

as far as the sock in the fuge the tank was a mess during swap and I had some PVC flakes floating around
next project is adding some T5 Actinic supplment, setting up the aqua controller and the cabinetry, I have a wet bar right next to it that has to be set up too

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Total water volume is almost 540 gallons
display tank is 450 sump and fuge is 90 gallons running
with the total capacity of the sump is 150 gallons

there are 2 fluidized reactors for carbon ( finishing them up today)
6" diameter, 17" tall both fed by Ehiem 1046 hobby pump each
as soon as I finish the reactors I'll make a sock holder and an effluent cup got my ca reactor

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NYPDFrogman said:

Hi NYPDFrogman - Frank ;-)
Congratulations for this very nice upgrade.
On the photographs above we can see among others a Regal Angel - Pygoplithes diacanthus and a Apolemichthys xanthopunctatus - Gold Flake Angel, both are sponge eaters and I have a Regal Angel and I feed her natural live sponge every now and then that I collect over here in our Rocky beaches.

Here and here you can see a small video of her eating the live sponge. I know that in the Piers of New York Paul B collects/collected a sponge?!? of which I put bellow one photograph that He kindly gave me permission to post in reefforum.net some two years ago.

Photograph Kindly ceded by Paul Baldassano - New Hyde Park - New York
13094sponge_003.jpg

Yesterday I asked KathyC for Her most kind help on obtaining images of the sponge you can see in this blog, which looks similar to the sponge that you see my Regal Angel eating in the video, however if it is the red beard sponge - Clathria prolifera - Red Beard Sponge - red variety specimen (very beautiful), then it might not be accepted, at least by Zanclus, as I could learn from Paul B which also kindly gave me permission to post an image of if.

Photograph kindly ceded by Paul Baldassano - New Hyde Park - New York
13094sponge_002.jpg

Some time ago I searched for the existence of Hymeniacidon heliophila - sun sponge which is very similar to Hymeniacidon sanguinea and wrote it here.
According to the information I got from Paul B, the read beard sponge grows many times on top the orange sponge that Paul B gives or gave to the Zanclus, so there is a strong chance that this could be a source of natural food for sponge eating fishes such as the Regal Angel etc..., like the sponge I collect every now and then over here in Portugal. Nowadays at least one of the LFS when receiving sponge eating fish, they place a bit of the local sponge in the exhibit tank, so that the fish gets access to a food source similar to is natural food source, and this helps to improve success.

Well I would like to know if you give or gave any time, live sponge to your sponge eating fish or if the idea occurred to you... :)

One last thing, sponges can be dangerous, so if tried, it must be in very small quantity. I gained experience with Hymeniacidon sanguinea and Halichondria paniceia - breadcrumb sponge that I collect locally

Breadcrumb sponge and the evidence of it existing in Long Island

bellow you can see my fish sharing algae and natural sponge, meaning the ones looking for algae, eat the algae while Zanclus eats both.

http://www.reefforum.net/photopost/s...o/7412/cat/534

http://www.reefforum.net/photopost/s...o/7413/cat/534

http://www.reefforum.net/photopost/s...o/7414/cat/534

Well this said/written there might be a possibility for us to improve the diet of our sponge eating fish which can both be of help as they will be healthier, happier and also not look for what they don't really eat but can if there is nothing else, which some times is confused with reef safe issues and might not have a thing to do with it. Also by providing a natural food source, we are meeting nature demands and higher success possibilities as well as gaining further knowledge which can make the difference. One more thing, Paul B never ceases to be an inspiration ;-)

Once more, congratulations for your nice upgrading.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Last edited:

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Thanks for the information
the angels eat a varity of prpared foods includeing angel formula
I have noticed a lot of natural sponge and tinics growing on my life rock which the angels pick at constantly.

I've had the regal now almost 3 years and she has doubled in size
she eats everything I put in tank
goldflake I've had since june and he also is a hardy eater

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: