premilove

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 this has to be one of the coolest things i have seen in a long time..wha are you using for filtration? it was hard to see the mini filter

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
the lights are rio mini sun 29.99 and the heater is a shatter proof automatically shuts off if the water gets too low is also 29.99 both were purchased at Wonderful World of Fish . The filter is one of those little palm filters it made a little bit of noise from touching the tank but a piece of silicone air line tubing between the rim of the tank and the filter took care of that.
The tank looks much better than the pics I will try to get some pics later with everything open.

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
here's another shot one day I'll get a real camera for now this is the best I can do with a canon elf

Attachments

• IMG_1805.jpg
    IMG_1805.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 228

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
This is getting crazy . It was the best feeling waking up this morning and being able to lay there and stare at the tank while doing this I came up with another crazy idea , being that the tank is roughly 1 1/2 gallons there is an issue with water top off if you dont top off in 2 days I'm sure the salinity will swing a great deal so I came up with this contraption for those 3 day weekends if i go away.
I have tried to explain this method to many people before that need an emergency top off for a couple of days you can do this with any size bottle even those big water cooler bottles over your sump if you can figure out a way to support the weight . As the water evaporates the water level in the tank drops and leaves an air space between the water surface and the bottle's tip (opening) that space lets air go into the bottle and water come out of the bottle once the water level raises the water stops coming out of the bottle because air cant get into it.The tank is going to be placed ontop of the big flat bottom piece to act as ballast to keep the assembly from falling over . Again this is only going to be used when I go away for a couple of days otherwise it gets thrown in the junk pyle with the thousands of other things we reefers seem to colect over the years.

Attachments

• IMG_1807.jpg
    IMG_1807.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1808.jpg
    IMG_1808.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 199
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
interestng setup.

salinity swing due to evaporation has nothing to dp with water volume but surface area.

I found that from my 2.5G pico project, the most challenging thing in nano/pcio setup is temperature swing before I sold the whole setup to an office. If your room is air conditioned or kind of stable in temperature, then I think it will be a great project.

I forsee you DIY quite a bit of interesting eqiupement soon.:tongue1:

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
yes but if you only have a depth of 6 inches with about 3/4 square foot surface area the evaporation is going to have a greater effect than in a typical tank (surface area to volume ratio)
the temperature is kept costant at 78 that little heater is on the money, we'll see what happens in the summer maybe i'll get a little fan on it

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: