fishfreak1242

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
Ok so I just took a bunch of pics. They turned out pretty good. I was even able to take a few top down pics that turned out better than I thought. Hope you like them.
IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

mluz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Tank is looking great.

Don't be discouraged with the difficulties you've encountered. I've gone through most of the problems that you had so far, and sometimes fish just die for unexplainable reasons.

I am now battling cyano for the second time in 2 years in my tank.

I would suggest, if you're not doing it yet, is to quarantine any new fish additions for at least a month before adding it to the tank.

Like others have said going slow is the main thing, either adding rock, sand or livestock in order to let the tank adjust.

fishfreak1242

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
Tank is looking great.

Don't be discouraged with the difficulties you've encountered. I've gone through most of the problems that you had so far, and sometimes fish just die for unexplainable reasons.

I am now battling cyano for the second time in 2 years in my tank.

I would suggest, if you're not doing it yet, is to quarantine any new fish additions for at least a month before adding it to the tank.

Like others have said going slow is the main thing, either adding rock, sand or livestock in order to let the tank adjust.
Thanks. It seems like everything bad that could have possibly happened has already happened, so maybe everything will go back to normal. For the year and a half that I've had my 55 gal and 75 gal it seems like i've had almost every hitchhiker and algae there is. Cyano, bubble algae, aiptasia, turf algae, hair algae, and a bunch more that I don't even know the names of.
I was thinking about starting up a QT tank for QTing all of my new additions, but we'll see. My wallet has been pretty thin lately so it might be a little bit until I get anything new.

fishfreak1242

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
Tank looks great Julien, a lot of coralline you have there, I was never able to get that much!

I will have to stop by sometime and check it out in person
Yeh I'm loving the coraline. I've been trying to get it to cover my entire back wall. I also just soaked both of my powerheads in vinegar for 24 hours, and it makes the coraline like warm butter, so now they are really clean. You should definitely come by and see the tank!

fishfreak1242

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
So thanks to Tangale, I now have a huge occeleris clown. I just put in my tank a few minutes ago and he seems to be doing really well and nothing is bothering him. When my lights turn on i'll take some pics. Also I was thinking about getting another clown to pair up with it. How do I get another clown to pair with it? Do I just put the two clowns in the tank together and they will mate?

dnreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Fishfreak,
I just read through the thread. I'm in a similar boat to you and will be switching the contents of my 55 to a 75 gallon tank in the next month or two. What size sump are you using? How often and what size water changes? It doesn't sound like you went through any cyano or hair algae issues. How long do you leave your lights on? Good luck going forward.

fishfreak1242

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
Fishfreak,
I just read through the thread. I'm in a similar boat to you and will be switching the contents of my 55 to a 75 gallon tank in the next month or two. What size sump are you using? How often and what size water changes? It doesn't sound like you went through any cyano or hair algae issues. How long do you leave your lights on? Good luck going forward.
When I bought the tank from my friend BluSi he included a 30 gal sump that already had baffles and everything in it. I usually do a 10 gal water change every week or so depending on if I get any algae outbreaks or anything. Actually before when I had my 55 gal, I did have alot of algae, including hair algae. So what I did was before I transferred all of the rocks over, I scrubbed them down really well in a separate bucket and then put them in the tank. But now I do have a little bit of hair algae, but not nearly as much as I had before. Good luck with your switch. Be sure to have alot of buckets on hand.

BlueSi4

Blu By U
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
So thanks to Tangale, I now have a huge occeleris clown. I just put in my tank a few minutes ago and he seems to be doing really well and nothing is bothering him. When my lights turn on i'll take some pics. Also I was thinking about getting another clown to pair up with it. How do I get another clown to pair with it? Do I just put the two clowns in the tank together and they will mate?

You need either a clown that is bigger or smaller than the one you currently have. If I'm not mistaken, the smaller one will become the male and the bigger one the female, I think that's how it goes.

Then hopefully they will mate. Just make sure the size difference is noticeable, otherwise they might fight.

fishfreak1242

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
You need either a clown that is bigger or smaller than the one you currently have. If I'm not mistaken, the smaller one will become the male and the bigger one the female, I think that's how it goes.

Then hopefully they will mate. Just make sure the size difference is noticeable, otherwise they might fight.
Ok cool. I just fed her today, and she is eating like a pig. Pics will be up momentarily.

fishfreak1242

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
So I got some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I went over to Aaron23s place and got some really cool SPS that are doing great!
The bad and ironic news is that I decided to make a cover for my tank out of gutter guard incase my sixline wrasse would jump, and when I finished building it I found him on the floor. I checked to see if he was still alive, but he wasn't.
But tommorow I'm going to Jim's place in Ossining to get another clown to pair up with the one I have now.

fishfreak1242

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
Heres another little update: It looks like I might be re-doing my canopy to fit my 75gal. My parents wanted for me to re-do it to make it look nicer and to cover the tank on all four sides so that there is a lot less likely chance for another fish to jump ship. If anyone has any pics of their DIY canopies, that would be very helpful so I can get some ideas of how to build it.

fishfreak1242

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
I just got back from Jim's place in Ossining and I got a new occelaris clown in hopes that it will pair up with the one I have now. Right now its acclimating, so I'll take some pics of it in a little bit.

fishfreak1242

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
I just added the new clown and they seem to be getting along. My old clown is acting a little strange. She keeps tilting towards the new clown. Is this normal? Heres some pics of them:
IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: