cathym1078

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Modification to my red sea max

So, the red sea max came with a few blue led lights as moon lights. I was used to having 120 blue Led lights on my old tank, which made my corals pop out. So I decided to modify my lights on the red sea max.

I bought 2 strips of LED lights from E-bay. (total cost ~$25, including shipping). I had an old 12 volt DC power supply, which I used to supply power to the LED lights. Thanks again Alex for the advice.

Here are some photos of my project.

DSC_0741.jpg

Bought from Ebay
DSC_0739.jpg

DSC_0743.jpg

I used a double sided tape to attach the led lights to my tank light cover.
DSC_0740.jpg

Here is the LED with the double sided tape.

DSC_0744.jpg

Attached to the side of the light cover.
DSC_0738.jpg

I attached 2 LED strips
DSC_0745.jpg

I ran the wires into a clear tube.
DSC_0752.jpg

I then connected the wires to the 12 volt DC.
DSC_0749.jpg

DSC_0750.jpg

It worked!!! :)

DSC_0797.jpg

DSC_0796.jpg

Now I just have to learn to how to take photos with the blue LED lights. Here are a few trial pics.

DSC_0781.jpg

DSC_0783.jpg

THANKS FOR LOOKING.

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Wonderful World of Fish (not pets) on Steinway street in astoria. Are vendors on here. check marketplace

great store even if you just wanna look at livestock in my opinion. Great store and great service

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
It amazes me that everyone is so quick to villify stores for selling inappropriate fish for peoples tanks and yet here is a thread where everyone except chief looked at the pics of 3 tangs in a 65 and "applauded" it. I'm the farthest thing from a tree hugger but how are you determining the fishes overall health and happiness? I know you said you got rid of it, but horseshoe crabs are a cold water species and not tropical. Those tangs are going to be a time bomb. Just because it fits in the tank doesn't mean it should live in it. Properly stocking your tank insures long term success.

bueller

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hey Cathy,

Just wanted to say thanks for the 75 gallon tank! just finished cycling and added a pork puffer. I plan an adding about 5 tangs and a few full size angel's about 4 clown's and a shitload of wrasses and maybe a few trigger's....LOL...

Sandyp1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nice tank..........I bought the other Max from Steve and am setting it up this weekend. Any tips ? Whats that white cannister looking thing in the back upper right of the tank ?

Looks great.....I broke down my 70 w/20 gal sump and cant wait to set up my MAX.

Good luck

cathym1078

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Nice tank..........I bought the other Max from Steve and am setting it up this weekend. Any tips ? Whats that white cannister looking thing in the back upper right of the tank ?

Looks great.....I broke down my 70 w/20 gal sump and cant wait to set up my MAX.

Good luck

The white canister on the right is an ATO (auto top off).

I really don't have any tips. I will just say that you are going to really enjoy the tank. Let me know how it goes and don't forget to post pics.

Cathy

cathym1078

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
It amazes me that everyone is so quick to villify stores for selling inappropriate fish for peoples tanks and yet here is a thread where everyone except chief looked at the pics of 3 tangs in a 65 and "applauded" it. I'm the farthest thing from a tree hugger but how are you determining the fishes overall health and happiness? I know you said you got rid of it, but horseshoe crabs are a cold water species and not tropical. Those tangs are going to be a time bomb. Just because it fits in the tank doesn't mean it should live in it. Properly stocking your tank insures long term success.

Hi,

First off, the word "vilify" is spelled with only one "L". :) Secondly, thanks for the advice. I have already taken into consideration the size of my tank. This thread is not to inform people that a 65 gallon is a good size to house tangs, if you noticed. And you are correct, I am not able to determine that my fishes are happy in my tank, and I don't think someone with 100 or 1000 gallon tank can say the same. I am not a fish whisperer. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but your post here makes you sound very rude and conceited. I hope I am wrong and hope that your intentions are well.

cathym1078

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
i hate to be rude, but how much did the entirel tank cost?!

The tank with lights and stand is $1500 dollars. It comes with a skimmer and 2 pumps. I used the same rocks that I had in my 75 gallon tank, which cost me around 300 dollars or so. Then I brought some corals at the swap, from vendors, and from other reefers. The initial cost to buy the hardware is the most costly. Then it's up to you how much you are willing to spend on corals and fish. Some corals are very rare and cost more, same with fishes. Let's just say around $3000, and counting :).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: