Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0

Thanks for letting me see your little piece of the ocean in person Tony.
So sorry we held you up so long. But what could I do, your tank is simply amazing and very difficult to pull away from.:inlove: Even hubby was impressed!!!! Considering that he is not a "reefer" that is meant as a huge compliment..
Of course the pics are doing no justice to this tank......​
666.gif

396.gif

Last edited:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
2/25/09 Updated with pics of the sump area.

Thanks again for all the compliments everyone. Like awilda said the pics don't do it justice but its ok =0)

Awilda, when your ready for SPS again ill give you a nice piece of that acro you liked. And i was in no rush =P

Moidol, seen Lanzo this past weekend and we talked FW tanks a little =0) The chalice is actually a Pectinia sp. (spiny cup coral) although its not beeing spiny at all :irked: Ill get pics once i get a chance to. Need to find the magic amount of light to get the colors out of it the right way. It had a purple body with that green color for the mouths/highlights. I might try almost complete shade which is the only area it hasn;t been in.

russianmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Ok, so I lurk and lurk - and this is the result: "Hello russianmd it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums? "

I am done! Good job, Tony! Looks great - can't wait to see it grown out (though looks sooo nice now!) -A

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Sweet Set Up Tony!!!! :bigeyes: I like it alot. Great job in keeping it simple if that's what you intend to do. Your inspiring me to get a bigger tank now :D

You have plenty of room in there so save up April is just around the corner.

MO~IDOL

I Work Hard For Color!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
643   0   0
Moidol, seen Lanzo this past weekend and we talked FW tanks a little =0) The chalice is actually a Pectinia sp. (spiny cup coral) although its not beeing spiny at all :irked: Ill get pics once i get a chance to. Need to find the magic amount of light to get the colors out of it the right way. It had a purple body with that green color for the mouths/highlights. I might try almost complete shade which is the only area it hasn;t been in.[/QUOTE]

he's want a SW tank after i show him your tank thread and become a MR member today...lol

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
yeah Tobin, that's all the rock im going to be using. Theres a nice chunk of it in there, just doesn't look like it in the photo's. I might be adding more rock to the right side corner at a later date but for now i like the way the set up works for what i have in there. I have a feeling once i start adding more coral the tank and start shaping what the tank wants to become that i will tweak the visual "flow" of the tank, either adding or adjusting rocks. I really like open area's of sandbed so that was another key to why i shaped the rockwork like it is now.

I also tried to stay away from the rock wall with the rainforest canopy of SPS colonies on top too. Ive always experienced that the majority of the fish in tanks tend to stay in the open area's with the exception of the perchers and pod scavengers. since fish make up the other half of what we keep in our reefs i gave them more room to swim around. Plus the lower rock area gives me a much larger surface to place low/med light coral which is what i plan the majority of the tank will be.

Tanks that are packed with alot of rock and large fish always made me feel like they spent their whole day worrying about bumping into rocks/coral or other fish or act like their in a traffic jam on the LIE =0)

Grknyer, which way simple?

I think the tank is descently complex as far as equipment and mechanics of the tank go. I think the only simple thing for me is the amount of work that needs to be done daily since everything is pretty much automated besides auto top off for now (still have to run a RO line from my kitchen), water changes, testing parameters, and feeding. I also hit on all the key factors of any reef minus a fuge area which ill be converting a compartment in the sump for in a month or two.

Any questions, advice and input is always appreciated =0) I see the tank every day and might not notice things or do something thats wrong without noticing.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Been a while since i posted anything. Time flies so quick now i don't even remember exactly when things happened and how long its actually been. Coming up a year that this tank has been up and it feels like i just set it up yesterday. Wow :Yikes:

Anyways, sometime after may i lost the majority of my fish to some disease. My clowns were sick on and off and looked like they had a white film on them after they went into this new tank. Added a tang around May, it got ich and stressed out my other tangs, which also developed ich and the white film... Long story short, over the course of 2-3 days all my fish started dissapearing untill only my wrasses were left and a longnosed hawk. I tried treating the fish but nothing worked.

Descided on waiting out whatever killed my fish for a few months as i didn't know what it was then start adding slowly, got buisy with things and didn't take care of my tank the right way. Another long story short, I'm left with a few small frags of SPS i could save from a Po4 problem and am still cleaning up hair algae. I didn;t know i had a Po4 problem either until the hair algae attacked. Then a monti eating nudi problem developed out of nowhere right after the hair algae came and wiped those out.

Sigh, anyways. I now have a tank thats pretty much all LPS and zoa's and some SPS frags that are just starting to grow back out. I started adding fish a month ago, all are perfectly healthy and happy.

Only thing i can do now is beat it into my head to keep ontop of things, and start restocking the tank. And it feels good again to spend alot more time with my tank and all my buddies inside it and everyone else that comes with keeping a reeftank here.

As far as stuff thats going on very soon, I do have to empty my tank for a few days to rip apart my overflow wall and replace it, as well as change my plumbing and return pump, and modify my sump a little. Glass is almost ready so i should be doing it next week. Im also going to change up my rockwork and add a bit more rock to the tank when everything is going back in as well as change the look of the tank as far as inhabitants go.

Anyways, sorry for the long story. Here are a few quick shots i took while playing with the new macro lense.

I'll be updating more as things progress.

Cool shot of a Lettuce Nudi

Macro11-7nudi.jpg

Orange Plate Coral macro. Sorta looks like an electron microscope picture.

macro11-7plate1.jpg

macro11-7blasto2.jpg

Omg! Exploding Craters!

macro11-7acan1.jpg

macro11-7micromussa2.jpg

macro11-7redbugsps.jpg

macro11-7blasto1.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: