tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
On 1/19/09 i finally set up my final upgrade. Well... until I can find a place to put a 500g+ tank :tub:.

Updated 2/25/09: added some fish i forgot somehow as well as pictures of the sump area.

ebf80bcc.jpg

About a year and a half ago i dusted off my trusty old
mickey_gloves2.jpg
and started to plan, design, and construct my new tank. Its 180g of complete tranquil aquatic scenery that i get to enjoy every day when i get home and worth every minute i spent working on it. Then i look closely and end up sticking my hands in to adjust something, clean, feed, dose, yell at fish, end up splashing water on the floor, meticulously clean the glass.... real tranquil huh....:irked: But if it wasn't for that i doubt we would still be in the hobby.

e01bca14.jpg

1f4fe891.jpg

The tank has been up and running a month and a few days. All my livestock and water were transferred from my old tank, i replaced the current LR with new LR i picked up from Jim and Russ a few months ago, placing all the old rock in my sump. The past month since i set it up it went through tank phases, currently on cyano which should be gone next week it looks like and i have some remainder dietrius patches. Coraline started to grow last week on the back walls of the tank and my rocks, although they still look white, have had alot of coraline start to cover them compared to what they looked like when i first put them in.

52335f38.jpg

180g Equipment:

• Reeflo Snapper pump (upgrading to the Dart once some plumbing comes in)
  • Bubble King mini 250 skimmer
  • 2x reactors running carbon/phosban
  • 2x Ecotech Vortech powerheads 1x mp20 and 1x mp40
  • Spectrapure Litermeter 3 doser for cal/alk
  • RK2 controller with PH probe
Lighting:

• 2x 250w SE icecap retro kits with Lumenarc reflectors
  • 48" 2 bulb icecap VHO retro
Im running 10k Ushio bulbs at the moment. Was planning on alternating between the 20k's every month. Might try out the 14k pheonix SE's.

686fc0e0.jpg

Inhabitants:

• African Leopard wrasse female (Macropharyngodon bipartitus)
  • 2x McCosker wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
  • Pseudocoris wrasse
  • A haram of Pseudanthias Squamipinnis Anthias (purple male, 4 orange females)
  • Longnose Hawkfish (Oxycirrhites typus)
  • Red Headed Jawfish
  • 2x Blotchy Anthias (Borbonius)
  • 3x Bangaii Cardinals (Pterapogon kauderni)
  • Hippo tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
  • Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)
  • Sohal Tang (Acanthurus sohal)
  • Marine Betta Comet (Calloplesiops altivelis)
  • Green Feather Starfish (Crinoidea)
  • Tiger Brittle Star ([SIZE=-1]Ophiocoma sp)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]4x Maxima Clams and 4x Crocea clams[/SIZE]

8272326c.jpg

The rest of the tank is a mixture of LPS and SPS. I like a mixture of both worlds but didn't like the apartment style placement of the corals in most tanks that people are forced to do when they pile high rocks across the tank.

The goal of the tank was to provide 2 separate area's of the tank. One end heavy SPS and the other lower side more LPS based and play with rock height and light intensity as well as flow to support their different likes/dislikes. Only thing I'm having problems with is light intensity, any combination of lighting i do to dim one side either creates a break in bulb colors thats noticable or i get the nice MH ripple effect on one side of the tank along with color supplimentation. You see a major difference in the quality of light on the other end when you try to light one side of the tank with MH and the other T5's w/ VHO supplimentation or any combination of lower light.

Anyways, its very late. Ill get more pictures and info on the tank tomorrow. Here are a few more quick shots i took today though =0) Enjoy, all the pics were taken with the Canon Rebel XSi, mostly with the 100mm macro lense and the 18mm-200mm zoom lense.

dfcf244e.jpg

ce951f11.jpg

Fluffy green lobo clouds!

14d6f3de.jpg

35c7948f.jpg

515e2bdf.jpg

1c428d48.jpg

351d615b.jpg

7806fadf.jpg

30e47fcd.jpg

Last edited:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Here is what it looks like under the ribs of the beast. Sump/frag tank area.

3c419af6.jpg

Its a little messy between the salt stains and things laying around as well as the wiring. I still need to run some electrical inside to clean up the wires and patch up the hole with an access panel to the GFI outlet behind the stand.

9573d0ae.jpg

Here you get to see some of the supporting structure under the tank. The stand is completely made out of ply, no glue was used so it can be taken apart, corners are reinforced by laminated ply column blocking in the front, 3" beam spanning the front with a centerbrace thats removable, complete back wall is double 3/4" ply as well as the sides. Its alot of weight and scary once you start plugging in numbers.

The return piping needs to be redone completely once i change out the pump for the larger Dart. The drain is 1 1/2" and splits into 1" draining into the frag tank. Its not efficiently splitting drain water between what goes into the sump and what goes into the frag tank but its more than enough water and more than i though with a largely reduced return back into the display. I planned and built without working out the math for plumbing part sizes and actual room needed to run the frag tank. I also had the frag tank plumbing planned the opposite direction but changed it but don't remember why. :theyareon

Anyways, ill get pics up of the RK2 and my current electrical box in the hood later today or tommorrow. Here are a few more pics i had laying around.

My Crinoid starfish =0) Lost parts of his tentacles during the move and mishandling but regrew them all. Very healthy and he's been around for 4+ months.

707ed4aa.jpg

Red Headed Jawfish.

2-23-09070.jpg

2-23-09048.jpg

2-23-09077.jpg

They're taking a break under some shade.

2-23-09075.jpg

Last edited:

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
I am very disappointed in you Tony, you lied to yourself and others like me. You said that your last upgrade was gonna be your last. Spoko akwarium :) Looks like your professional work came to good use. So when am I invited for some Zywiec or Tyskie and take a sneak peak of your ocean???

Great :tank:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
i know Marki... im very sad/mad with myself. :sad2: .... But this time the lying payed off :lol: :birthday:

As with anything in this hobby, there's always something new you would like or could fit. And if it doesn't you eventually tell yourself a bigger tank is "ok" to do :tub:

Ill get pics inside of the stand and more pics of the RK2 up when i get home.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone =0) They are all very much appreciated.

MO~IDOL

I Work Hard For Color!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
643   0   0
0.0! OhEmGee Tony!!! that's me and lanzo's dream glass box! love the 2 vortec what's the return rate? with 8 clams i dont think u need the BBK...lol great job on the photos too! can u get a close up for the huge chalice pls?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: