aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Thanks, I made the rocks with portland cement and argonite sand and crushed coral and shell grit to give it texture. I pretty much followed the directions on the GARF website. www.garf.org
the hardest thing is making the shapes realistic on not just big blobs. the other thing is that they need to cure in water for a couple of months while the lime leeches out of them. I have one in my other tank that is now covered in Jhales anthelia.
Biggest advantage is you can make rocks to fit very specific places in the tank like around the overflow or in a corner. I'll post some closeups later on.
Yesterday i had the day off and covered the bottom of the tank in Polyethelene sheet (like marina board). Next up is the sump and plumbing.

romain

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
aaron said:
Biggest advantage is you can make rocks to fit very specific places in the tank like around the overflow or in a corner. I'll post some closeups later on.
Next up is the sump and plumbing.

Any updates? Where're the closeups?:)

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well after a very busy weekend I really got this project moving along again.
I have now done most of the plumbing, the sump, 2/3 of the skimmer (still waiting on that flange jhale). I also wired up a new GFCI outlet for the tank.
All i have to do is finish the paint job on the hood and fill it with water.
Pics to follow when i get home tonight.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
hey aaron, sorry I've not been home much, I'll go and check if the plexi is still there,
I'll see if vinnie can run the program this week.

what was the size of your flange?

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Here's a couple of pictures of the sump with the bubble baffles and the pump and mostly completed skimmer. Also a detail of the new clear acryic centre brace - i was getting a huge shadow in the centre of the tank with the original black plastic brace.
More pictures to come
A

Attachments

• DSCN0036.jpg
    DSCN0036.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 273
  • DSCN0037.jpg
    DSCN0037.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 265
  • DSCN0041.jpg
    DSCN0041.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 270

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Just finished the my DIY recirulating skimmer.
I have a few more bits of plumbing to do then it will be time to fill 'er up.

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 230

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
man arron it looks good, but where's the reef man! last i chat with you during the frag swap, you were already buying stuff and wanting to raise clown fishes. i still see a empty tank LOL.

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
This is the seond tank, I have a 80 gal tank in the basement, some of which will be coming upstairs. Hopefully once its cycled i should be able to get it looking like something.

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hey this is my tank thread! no one screws wood around here!

Anyways, I am just starting to take advantage of the strike day by filling the tank with water. It is frustratingly slow, as of writing this it is about 1/4 full after four hours. I guess cold water doesnt flow through the ro membrane as quickly.
Skimmer is still causing me problems, i am starting to get really fed up with it. I might just have to go out and buy a skimmer eventually.

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
aaron said:
It is frustratingly slow, as of writing this it is about 1/4 full after four hours. I guess cold water doesnt flow through the ro membrane as quickly.

Funny, I thought about the issue of the cold membrane on my ro unit, which is why I decided to hook it up to my spare bathroom shower facet, that way I can at least control the temp to be room temp.

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
tank was filled finally and run for a couple of days before noticed a real problem with micro bubbles. It looks like a skimmer in the main tank. I think the air is leaking in through the loc-line fittings. There is also some noise issues. I think in the end the ocean runner 3500 pump is just to big for this tank - 900 g/h through a 36g tank.
I am planning on swapping out the locline and OC for a mag 7.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
inline6 said:
Funny, I thought about the issue of the cold membrane on my ro unit, which is why I decided to hook it up to my spare bathroom shower facet, that way I can at least control the temp to be room temp.

fyi, this has one downside, it can shorten the life of the RO membrane.

hot water heaters can become coated in minerals, as you introduce hot water to control the temperature these minerals are passed through the RO membrane. if your hot water heater is new this should not be an issue. you will have to make the choice, faster water production vs. shorter membrane life.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: