herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
drunktank said:
nice tank.

Only problem i'd have is the canopy

what do u plan on stocking it with?

Thats why I am doing a rebuild. The canopy should be finished over the weekend.

This tank will be a biotope. reef dropoff / cave. The depth of the tank and the 25" height make it ideal for that.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Today I put on the dark limo tint foil on the rear glass panels and added one more coat of stain to the canopy. The color matches now. Tomorrow I will sand the canopy and put on the satin finish polyurethane

Limo Tint Back Panel:
IMG_0423_487243.JPG

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Yesterday my wife kicks me and my tankbuilding outside. What a crappy day to be sanding outside. Windy as hell and I am freezing my &$%^ & my *&^ off!!!

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I got the tint from a small car stereo shop. Autozone and various speedshops should have it. The foil I bought was the darkest one available and I paid $12 for a 80"x22" piece. Definitely worth it.

To stick it on all you need to do is clean the glass surface. Then basically wet the entire back with warm soapy water. Peel the clear foil off the main foil and just place it on. Once its in place you use a squeegee to remove all airbubbles. Then you just trim and youre good to go. Total application time from start to finish on my tank is 10 minutes.

beyondnp

BeyondNP
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
great tank and great thread... I have the 92 gallon bowfront as well... though my canopy isnt as large as what you built! And yes, i wish I had redone the stand and not accepted what they sold me to include more space as it is tough to cram everything underneath...

Good luck!

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Marinaboard

So today to my delight the marinaboard finally came. Its a 34" x 34" x 0.5" I only ordered it end of last week from the cuttingboard factory
The board weighs 20.3lb and the cost was $75 Shipping was $10. I would say definitly worth every penny!!

Good Packaging:
IMG_0451.JPG

No scratches dents:
IMG_0453.JPG

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
So started cutting the marinaboard today. Man cutting that for a 92 corner is a real pain!!!! And getting it into the tank was like a chinese mind puzzle! The tank has the overflow in the back and has two triangular bracer on the front two corners. I did not want to overcut so I just went cut a little at a time.

One word of advice when putting the board into the tank - REMEMBER YOUR FINGERS!! OUCH............. That board just goes down with this massive backpressure! That just pissed me off, but at least I got a perfect fit and it looks good!!!!

Tomorrow I will silicone it to the tank and start making the support structure for the reef wall and caves. I will document that with lots of pics (if I remember to take it easy on the beers :icon16: )

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Irrigation system

I thought I would give the irrigation a try. In my last tank I would always have to sweep a powerhead accrossthe tank to get the crud off the bottom to the overflow. This tank has two inputs for the overflow one 3 inches off the bottom and the usual one of the top.

Azoo makes an interesting product:
IMD%5C150%5CAZ0053.jpg

Its basically a 9 way manifold and black silicone tubing. I routed groves into the marinaboard to hold the tubing and the irrigation will basically shoot water along the bottom of the tank from front to back where the overflows are. I will post pics soon. I have no idea if this will work but the concept is a good one....

Thus tank is almost ready for water!!!

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
herman,
I've also seen people plumb the pvc structures as a cl. they would drill holes in the pvc and hook up pumps at the back of the pvc.

I thought that was kind of cool as well.

how are you attaching the tubes to the cutting board, they are both very slick materials.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: