herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
jhale said:
Did you sand the stand down to bare wood?
It looks different in the shot you posted in the skimmer thread?

update?

Yeah I did. Now the entire thing looks clean. Its just jet black from the ebony stain. The inside is a light gray and in the canopy its in the process of getting lines with aluminium. Its looking good so far.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
jhale said:
herman,
I've also seen people plumb the pvc structures as a cl. they would drill holes in the pvc and hook up pumps at the back of the pvc.

I thought that was kind of cool as well.

how are you attaching the tubes to the cutting board, they are both very slick materials.

Damn you Jonathan. I am reading your post just as I am leaving for lowes to get the materials for the reef structure. Now you just made it all more complicated. I do love that idea.

Although I would have probably tried to kill you if you came um with that idea after I made the structures. :joke:

Well, let the building continue........................ I wonder if they sell pvc manifolds at lowes?

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Because the tank will be a cliff and cave biotope, a structure needs to be made to support the LR. Piling up rocks to create an overhang is hazardous.

The following is a pic of what the reef structure will look like once it is complete. Look in the center top of the pic.

12.jpg

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
To make the skelleton of the structure you basically use pvc pipes and elbows along with tees. I am incorporating a closed loop inside the structure thaks to Jonathan.

The entire pvc structure will get coated in polyurethane foam. After that has cured. It will be covered in several layers of epoxy resin. After that has cured, I will apply another coat of the resin and while that is wet LR rubble and aragonite will be sprinkled on the resin. The outcome will be a more natural looking LR.

The foam used to cover the PVC is the stickiest stuff I have ever played with and sculpting it is very difficult. I basically used rubber gloves and olive oil to keep the stuff flom sticking to me.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
fyi, I spoke to Herman, his computer is in the shop.
While he was online and holding a cup of hot coffee one of his cats jumped on his shoulder, she has claws, lol.
coffee into keyboard=laptop into shop ;)

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Im, on my wifes computer right now. Those damn cats. The hard drive off the old pc was ok, so I will get the stuff off of it this week and post new pics.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: