herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Well here it is. My surprise tank which I bought from Jim. (houseoflaughter). For those of you who dont have space but want a "large" tank this is the one. I really like the shape because it sits out of the way and best of all its 34" deep from all angles from front to back. It just gets thinner as you go towards the rear where the overflow is housed.

There are ofcourse distinct disadvantages. One being that you do not have to much space to house all of the equipment needed so careful planning and a lot of creativity is needed.

I tried alot of DIY here and I have to say working with such extreme angles does not make life easy. Ofcourse it does not help that I am not a carpenter or that I like to drink while handling powertools.

When I bought this thing it came with a custom canopy that Jim made but I needed a uniform look and I needed something taller to accomodate the Diamond Lumenarc reflectors.

Fortunately Jim had modified the plumbing. He added the SCWD to the return. I am lucky because my hands just dont fit into the small opening of the corner overflow.

Tank sees water and rocks on post 92. Stocking pics follow thereafter

Last edited:

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This was the tank in all its glory when it was in Jims posession. I hope I can get to look even half that nice.
FullTank_11.jpg

When Jim first started:
FirstDay_Few_hours.jpg

Last edited:

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The stand is the standard stand that comes from AGA. The front looks like a barrel so I did not want a smooth surface for the canopy. Ok ill be honest - I wanted smooth surface for both stand and canopy but after several tries I gave up. The arc is so extreme that I just could not bend the wood just right to fit properly. So I decided to go with the old stand and make a matching canopy instead.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I did not take as many pics as I should have during the build but here are some of the canopy:

Frame of canopy:
IMG_0023.JPG

Doors in the process of staining:
IMG_0022.JPG

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The entire canopy is made from pine because that is what the stand is made out of. I used ebony stain from minwax. I did the first coat indoors. Not a good idea. The stuff reeks and gets you buzzed.

Here is the test fit of the canopy. Hinges etc have not been put into place yet. I will need to stain one more coat becausethe top is still a bit lighter than the stand.

Canopy test fit:
IMG_0414.JPG

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It's coming along nicely...

(Now for the complaints) I WANTED TO BUY THAT TANK!!!!!!! (I was too slow :P )

hehe J/K

looks great, and yeah that stuff is stinky and fills the entire house. My wife grabed the baby and left for her mothers for the night, when I did the same thing.

Rich

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Yeah I will use the foil people use to tint limos. It comes in rolls and is applied using soap and water along with a squeegee. When you want to take it off in the future you just yank and clean.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Rborgia said:
It's coming along nicely...

(Now for the complaints) I WANTED TO BUY THAT TANK!!!!!!! (I was too slow :P )

hehe J/K

looks great, and yeah that stuff is stinky and fills the entire house. My wife grabed the baby and left for her mothers for the night, when I did the same thing.

Rich

I wanted to buy this thing early on then it just disapeared in the threads and I thought it was sold. One day Jim posted this on RC. I jumped.

You have a very docile wife. Mine wasnt quite as understanding.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Here is the return that Jim had put in previously. Its basically plumbed to a SQWD and two loclines. One side is a standard nozzle and the other is flat. I plan to change them to eductors as they give a large smooth stream as opposed to a small jet. I just added a black cover to keep fish out and algae from growing in there.

Return:
IMG_0418.JPG

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Here is the basic plumbing of the tank. I will need to add more couplers for easy dismantling and cleaning. I need to make it all as easy as possible cause at 6'4" I dont have any wiggle room under the stand.

The sump is a 24x14x20. In it will sit the skimmer and return pump. I still have to work something out in terms of the refugium.

Basic plumbing:
IMG_0419.JPG

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
There is still so much stuff to cram in this setup:
Calcium reactor
CO2 tank
various other stuff. I was thinking of placing a gravity fed refugium in the canopy. It would fit. I just have to see how hot it will get in there once the halides are fired up. Also I wanted to put a phytobreeder and doser in the canopy.

This is going to cause me to drink!!! Cheers

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
House of Laughter said:
You B*&^ch

That is going to be one sweet tank - when it gets stable, I have frags for you and you should have beers for me :)

Damn, great idea with the hood. Should have done that!

Enjoy Herman - nice tank and in great shape. You done it good main!!!

House
Good thing you were not more persistent in selling that thing. I got lucky.
Beers for frags - MUSIC TO MY EARS!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: