SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
speeding-ticket-707726.jpg

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I have had major problems with this tank over the last couple of months. Cyano grew over everything and many corals began to STN/RTN. I fragged off all receding parts, added a fuge to the back compartment, changed phosban and waited out the problem. Everything seems to be better now. The corals grew over the receded areas and PE has improved greatly. Here is a photo from today.

PS no more blue turaki frags. I was only able to save a 1" piece of the colony.

DSC_0012-4.jpg

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Randy I am not 100% sure what caused the problem. It all started after I began dosing Brightwell Aminos but many other guys use this product without problems. Perhaps there was an existing nutrient problem that I wasn't able to read on testkits or photometers??? Maybe the aminos pushed it over the edge??
It's hard for me to believe that I had a nutrient problem before this started though. I was doing 10gal water changes weekely once the problem started. I would think 30% WC's would reduce a nutrient problem very quickly.

Thanks for the turaki offer. I still have a piece left so I will try growing it out. If I kill it I will most definitely take you up on your offer :)

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Things still seem to look good in your tank Rich. Very pastel colored which I thought you didn't like.
Also, I tried dosing amino's before, I think overdosing on the food (vodka i think) made my tank go in a downward spiral with STN. I decided amino's not for me since I get good results without it.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Curious. It could very well be the aminos acting as fuel for a host of things not just the corals. I have no experience with that particular product or really anything from that company, but my generally -in -the- know reef rabbis aren't big fans of that product line.

I'd also like to add that I find cyano to be somewhat seasonal ( I'm not the only one--Sanjay and others will concur), and we are just coming out of one of those seasons. A lot of veteran reefers I know just went through a bout that is currently in decline.

mshur

Rating - 99.3%
294   2   1
randy,
interesting note about cyano.. i was fighting with cyano from dec to begging of may, and now all clean.. i am not sure what did it, but i did dose some bac strain witch was recomended by warren.
Go figure...
Regarding RTN..I got some going on right now :(.. I think its from adding GFO..many folks have this issue GFO-STN ( besal)

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
i see that there's not much space b/w the corals and the bottom/sides of the glass...how do you clean the bottom part of the glass? do you scrape or just use mag float?

I use a mag float. I can squeeze it through most of the spaces between rock and glass.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Things still seem to look good in your tank Rich. Very pastel colored which I thought you didn't like.
Also, I tried dosing amino's before, I think overdosing on the food (vodka i think) made my tank go in a downward spiral with STN. I decided amino's not for me since I get good results without it.

Ming the colors are pastel because I reduced feeding to every other day or third day and began using GFO again. I will take the pastel colors for now as long as everything is healthy.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: