albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
aren't you concerned about the elbows in the overflow being to close to the bottom??
sorry, those elbows are just test fits, not yet cut...if you look closely, you can see a few 'teeth' cut into second one in pic.

are you planning to paint the pvc black so it'll be camouflaged?
Yes. I don't like the white PVC on the eductors, the other pipes should be completely hidden by the rock-work.The 'capped' PVC are for the surge returns, will remove caps when tank is fully set up.
Not sure of what type of paint to use?

Albano,
If you can, swap out the clear in tank "T"'s that your strainers are connected to...If you can't, you might want to paint them black
JIM, where you been hiding?...hope you're feeling better! are you planning on a smaller tank, at home?
I thought the clear would be less 'unsightly', but I guess, I'll have to change it.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
Yes. I don't like the white PVC on the eductors, the other pipes should be completely hidden by the rock-work.The 'capped' PVC are for the surge returns, will remove caps when tank is fully set up.
Not sure of what type of paint to use?
i remember reading threads on painting the pvc....i think it was krylon......i'll look more into this and lyk.

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
"JIM, where you been hiding?...hope you're feeling better! are you planning on a smaller tank, at home?"

Would you believe me if told you I have been hiding out somewhere between my Physical Therepy office, and a heating pad. A lower back issue is quite a drain. It took all of my desire to get my fish room completed. And yes, I will do a smaller main tank in my living room. Hoping to do that after I sell my larger tank.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
A lower back issue is quite a drain. It took all of my desire to get my fish room completed. And yes, I will do a smaller main tank in my living room.
Sorry to hear Jim, hope you feel better soon...just spent 6 hrs. today at hospital for stress test, myself! Hard to get anything done this week, but I'm trying...hope to start filling with RO water before weekend.

UPDATE...PVC has been painted... CL has great flow
, from ocean motions, thru 2 returns at a time. Hopefully some pics, tomorrow.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Well. I changed my plans, again, and have decided to make the Closed Loop, an Open Loop, eliminating the extra 2000gph pump, in favor of running the entire system (returns/skimmer/reactors/surge/frag tank) with a 5500gph Hammerhead, and two random-timing 20-30g surge tanks. Although I have six 1 1/2" drains, I wanted the 'extra' safety of two 2" drains, (just in case the surge is too much). I re-drilled two of the 2 1/2" holes (1 1/2" bulkheads) to 3" (for 2" bulkheads)
changes_011.jpg

changes_001.jpg

while I was at it, I also made some 'custom' overflow 'guards' to keep the fish out

changes_002.jpg

and a couple of corner 'guides' to keep my cover screens in line...making extra RO water, NOW!

changes_004.jpg

changes_003.jpg

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
exactly!!, tobin, looks like we gotta go there again to light the fire..lol so what if its a 3 hour drive each way ... again..
Yeah right that 3 hours isn't that bad,,,,,,,,,,,,yes it is..
????????? NYreefnoob and I were in Brooklyn, Sunday...and from the belt pkwy/Verrazano brigde exit, we were home in 1 hour!!!!!! Surely 'Motors' little 900HP Camaro or Tobin's Hummer, can make better time than 3 hours! :) Are you two, old ladies, driving slow to save gas? or afraid to spill a little salt water?

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
FINALLY, on my birthday JUNE 5th, I added salt to the tank!......the 450g is up and running (filtering thru sump) ...added first pieces of LR today, you may notice the zip-ties on the branches, and the plexi-legs to keep the rock off the floor. I hope to start removing LR from the 130g and 170g, this week, as I slowly/carefully aquascape.

first_rock_001.jpg

first_rock_005.jpg

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
i like the plexi-legs.....are you going with shallow sand or bb?
Shallow sand bed...all bottom base rock in rear of tank is on plexi 'legs' so lower CL returns can circulate better. Moved a lot of base rock today, will take pics in morning.
It is quickly becoming apparent that I will have TOO much LR, and probably way too many corals, not to mention about 10-12 fish, that I will have to put in FS thread!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: