albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
what are you going to run for circulation?
No final decision yet, BUT I will continue to use my Iwaki MD100RLT, as my return pump (approx 2000gph), from there the basic plan is have the return feed 3 or 4 sea swirls w/rotators or eductors, on the front of the tank, to send upper level water back to the dual 30" overflow boxes. For the back wall I have 3 MP40s (3000-9000gph) w/battery backup, to send mid and lower level water toward the front. In addition to these I also have a Tunze wavebox, a Wave2K and 2 MMFI 'surge' boxes, various Koralias and tunze pumps, any of which may or may not be used (you may see them soon, on FS/FT forum). I have considered SCWD, Ocean Motions, and Wavy Sea, but I don't think they'll be necessary, there should be plenty of random flow, with what I've got.

straightjiggy10

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.2%
235   2   0
450_tank_003.jpg

Looks like my mustard tang lol

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
On advise of NYreefnoob, it looks like my 'surge boxes' may be too small, so I may convert an extra 120g tank I have, to a surge tank,(can adjust to use 50 to 100g per surge) mounted near ceiling in sump room, returning water, back to the tank thru 2 separate returns with eductors. I have seen the surge system at Vivid Aquariums in LA, Calif. many times, and the corals seem to love it.http://www.vividaquariums.com/video/StoreTour.htm the pic below is from RC, a guy converted 2 75g tanks to surge his 600g tank.
surge-tanks.jpg

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
On advise of NYreefnoob, it looks like my 'surge boxes' may be too small, so I may convert an extra 120g tank I have, to a surge tank,(can adjust to use 50 to 100g per surge) mounted near ceiling in sump room, returning water, back to the tank thru 2 separate returns with eductors. I have seen the surge system at Vivid Aquariums in LA, Calif. many times, and the corals seem to love it.http://www.vividaquariums.com/video/StoreTour.htm the pic below is from RC, a guy converted 2 75g tanks to surge his 600g tank.
surge-tanks.jpg

Me likey.....:splitspin... I like this alfie.....I can't believe I missed this build....Good luck cant wait to see it up....

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
This thread needs more pictures :)

This tank is going to be ridiculous once it is all set up ... well it's already ridiculous ... just taken to the extreme ;)

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
This thread needs more pictures :)
Sorry, David, no new pics, yet. Just back from MACNA, got some great ideas, for a multiple surge device (as well as another wave maker from WINGO), plus, saw some beautiful, hand-made rockwork, that should look great as a separate island in the tank. Waiting for bulkheads to arrive, but changing plans, so already need to order more.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Sorry, careful planning has slowed progress, but I really hope to have water in the new tank by Thanksgiving (before the swap!). I am planning to drill the tank, this week end, for bulkheads and surge returns. You may notice in the pics that I have put masking tape on the rear wall of the tank, that corresponds to the wall studs, so as to make sure I have no trouble routing the PVC lines.
sumptank_004.jpg
sumptank_005.jpg
sumptank_008.jpg
. I'm also moving my holding tanks, so I can do work in my sump room...I'll have two 120g and a 90g opposite the 450g DT, so I can see each piece before it's placed in the new tank.
sumptank_007.jpg
sumptank_006.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: