bubbles4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
bump, would love to see what people have done with there jbj 24s lighting upgrades if theres any out there. Really trying to keep the closed top which seems to be making all the cheaper upgrades (sunpod, sundial, etc..) not an option. hmmm

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
there are such better brands of mh than current either the pendant or the sundial as in quality but for a 24g nano they would be just fine. try looking into t5ho if you want they are good, like a tek t5 system if they make one that size. and personaly i would hold off on the sps until you upgrade the lights.

bubbles4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
there are such better brands of mh than current either the pendant or the sundial as in quality but for a 24g nano they would be just fine. try looking into t5ho if you want they are good, like a tek t5 system if they make one that size. and personaly i would hold off on the sps until you upgrade the lights.

after looking into it i think t5ho may actually work out much better as i am unsure how to acclimate my corals to a 150 watt halide gradually if i dont have much control over how far away it is from the water and its only 1 bulb(prefer not to have less than 7 hours of light a day reguardless). Also, t5ho would make it easy for me to do a sunrise/sunset simulation. do you think 4x24 watts would suffice for a sps mix tank? i am upgrading from 2x36 CF, is this worth the upgrade for the slight wattage increase?

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
do you have a way of keeping the tank cool ? if you got the retro kit that fits in the hood expect dramatic rise in heat. you might look into a small chiller, what all other equiptment do you have ? i have the current 20" 6 bulb t5 on my 24g ap, which isnt really needed since i have no corals and the tank is for my seahorse's, tank looks nice btw, and slow down on buying corals, let the system settle in some

bubbles4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
No cooler, but tank is right next to window/ac unit. i have heater, mp10 and stock everything else. Looking for a tunze protein skimmer. Yes it is the retro fit hoping the built in fans help some. I am done purchasing for the most part, and usually wait about a month or so than buy frags in "packs" as to save some money. Everything seems to be doing very well, just hoping to get some more growth/nicer color with the light upgrade. thank you!

do you have a way of keeping the tank cool ? if you got the retro kit that fits in the hood expect dramatic rise in heat. you might look into a small chiller, what all other equiptment do you have ? i have the current 20" 6 bulb t5 on my 24g ap, which isnt really needed since i have no corals and the tank is for my seahorse's, tank looks nice btw, and slow down on buying corals, let the system settle in some

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
dont count on the light to make growth really faster, keeping parameter consistant and good water quality will do that, imo the tunze skimmer sux's not many decent skimmers you can get or use that will fit with the hood, guy is selling a saphire skimmer for a steal of a price on here

bubbles4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
getting my new light tomorrow. Shipping took a while, oh well. Any pointers on acclimation going from pc to double the wattage halide, would simply shortening day period than gradually increasing be fine? thanks

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
"They" say to use diffuser plates over the tank...I dont bother though, I just place the new lights on...keep an eye on stuff for 1 week, if you see bleaching then you need to worry about it...you should be fine with only 150w MH....good luck

bubbles4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
"They" say to use diffuser plates over the tank...I dont bother though, I just place the new lights on...keep an eye on stuff for 1 week, if you see bleaching then you need to worry about it...you should be fine with only 150w MH....good luck

sounds good to me! thanks...i decreased the light by about 3 hours today, probably do the same tomorrow than bump it up in hour increments over the next week until i am back to the regular lighting schedule. Some of the corals have already shown improvements in polyp extension and color. Really like the shimmer of the MH .

Also enjoying finally being able to use my "night light" LEDs on a separate power cord. Was miserable not being able to turn them on while my main lights were off via timer. Once i acclimate will use the 4 LEDs as a bootleg sunrise/sunset (night viewing has been awesome since the new lights, colors really popping under blue LED)

Enjoying the new hood a lot, Def. increasing temperature in tank by a couple degrees, and not very impressed with the 4 fans on the HQI or the lack of option to keep the hood raised without manually holding it. but quality of the halide, 4 LEDs, and fitting/ease of use i am impressed with. Evaporation/ heat may become a bit of an issue, will see once i run a whole light cycle after acclimation.

bubbles4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
first macro shots of my tank.... with just the new LEDs on

night01.jpg

night02.jpg

night03.jpg

night04.jpg

night05.jpg

night06.jpg

Last edited:

Chraddam

ALL AROUND BAMF
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I find the LEDs are amazing in nanocubes-i leave them on like 16 hours a day,the corals LOVE them!!

This is my 24g with a d.i.y. hood i made to raise the MH a little higher. I too like the functionality of having the top closed, you can get a thick piece of clear acrylic from home depot for like $10.

IMG00270.jpg

And here is the entire tank, closer.

PB090126.jpg

There are more pics in my thread:)

Last edited:

bubbles4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
great looking tank! might have to play around with that if i see my temp swings start to get too high from the MH

bubbles4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
some pictures

just some pictures from today: ocellaris clown pair, meteor shower, yellow gorg

Attachments

• clowns01.jpg
    clowns01.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 104
  • clowns02.jpg
    clowns02.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 171
  • clowns03.jpg
    clowns03.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 106
  • meteorshower.jpg
    meteorshower.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 158
  • yellowgorg.jpg
    yellowgorg.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 168

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: