Breakin Newz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Nice man! I saw you posted that you liked and did not like that big rock - why don't you break it in half or 3 parts, it would be better/easier to aquascape IMO... You can take the rock out for awhile nothing will die...

And about the tank on the beam it will be fine there is no worries, 215g's spread out on a metal beam and other wooden beams is not alot of weight...

HaloStalker

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Love the tank and your design!!!!! IM taking notes hopfully i can accomplish half of what you did :tongueani

Goodluck and keep the pictures coming=P

henrystyle

Bad Mutha Shut Your mouth
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Thanks for the comments

Well, I did recieve something yesterday, that I was hoping to get/find before I put water in the tank. I found a good deal on a Kati/Ani model #2. NO MORE WASTE WATER FOR ME!.

Here is a pic of it

KatiAni.jpg
Any web page for these units? I like the no waste water idea..
Where can I get one?

Last edited:

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Its been pretty quiet as I have not done anything to the tank. Although I did add some fish.

COURTESY OF AQUATIC OBSESSIONS

A pair of Blue Throat Triggers

8e0c469b.jpg

3727b2f5.jpg

24ba04f8.jpg

846b73f4.jpg

Purple Fire Fish Goby

ba46b827.jpg

7fde9988.jpg

I also got a Coral Banded Shrimp but it keeps itself hiding in the rocks. I can never get a pic of it.

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Small update.

I was dealing with phos. over 1.00 cause of the used sand that I used. Apparently, I didn't clean it good enough. I have since removed the sand and got the Phos down too .11. I am using GFO to bring it down more. Once I get it down to about .03, I will buy and add new sand (which I should have done in the first place). I'm sure my corals will stay brown untill I bring the phos down.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

So after having my skimmer flood my floor with 40 gallons of water, I decided to mod it with a float switch. The way I have my skimmer in the sump, the skimmer cup overlaps the sump about an inch. One day my skimmer out of the blue, decided to overflow. While it was overflowing, most of the water from the skimmer cup was spilling out of the sump
where the skimmer cup overlaps the sump. As this is happening, my ATO kicks on which is connected to a 55 gallon drum filled with RO/DI water. Luckily I had enough water in the drum or else the sump, would had went dry. Well, it took that incident for me to take action.
This is a very simple mod and should not take long to do, if you decide to do it. It is not proffesional looking as you see on other skimmers. I just put this together with the least amount of $$$. Here is how I did it.

The items that I used. ATO, Plastic pen, Electric wire, Wire clips and interlocking connectors.

ae6550d1.jpg

bd15c206.jpg

cd547d3b.jpg

This is the cap of the collection cup. I was lucky the it already had holes. You can easily drill one if yours does not have any.

58823097.jpg

I cut a piece of the pen. This will be used to route the wire through. Make sure that it is plastic.

6a043b12.jpg

I made four cuts on it and bend the cuts back to make it look like helicopter blades.

38630e9d.jpg

This is why the pen needs to be plastic.

d5b33ff9.jpg

Insert it in the hole and glue.

5bcd19ac.jpg

88a60fdb.jpg

e6ef6380.jpg

I cut the float from the ATO and marked one of the wires.

10f8ed70.jpg

Pass the wires attached to the float, through the glued piece of plastic on the collection cup cap and glue.

f112b248.jpg

This is what it should look like all glued.

a1359c54.jpg

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
In this pic you can see that I extended the wire attached to the ATO switch and also connected the interlocking connector to the other end.

cfc090c5.jpg

The interlocking connector on the float.

e1a73991.jpg

Here it is in the collection cup.

d9f79ef9.jpg

30eea82f.jpg

Wire clips to hold the wire.

1cebcf19.jpg

ALL DONE!

c0620e4b.jpg

N

NanoReefer

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Any updates? I have the opportunity to pick up a new one of these for 1100 with stand. Does that center brace bother you at all? Is it a pain?

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Sorry everyone for not updating the thread. I'm bummed out about loosing my corals. Life also has been a little hectic with the kids. I'm coming around though. I will try to give some updates soon.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: