Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
inkblue said:
...so anyone know of a good metaL guy wh0 can buiLd me thiS red stand :scratchch

Next door to my shop is Brooklyn Machine Works they make custom bicycles and have a full metal shop. they've done stuff for me before and do excelent work.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
inkblue - Here is the stand I had made. I'm not going to recommend the guys I got it done from because of several reasons. I didn't get it powdercoated though, they used a marine primer instead. The best thing is to get a welder to do it for you on his own.

My originally plans were like this. (IMAGES ARE CLICKABLE)

The stand turned out like this

and here is a closer look of how the light rods attached.

I decided to remove the rods.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
LOL, you mean the tank that has nothing in it now..haha. Here's my tank thread, Photo journal of my MCA 120, on RC. But I got ich into the tank so I have my fish in my new 30g quarantine tank :))), my rock cooking in my new 30g sump :))) and nuttin in the display.

I had my stand made out of 2" square tubing and with 6 legs. With the 2" tubing I should have only had 4 legs. And this thing is heavy as ****. I leveled it with wood shims because I was concerned about the weight being on those little adjustable feet.

I went overboard on the stand because people on RC being going crazy. Talking about trusses and metal stands bowing. RC is good for a lot but you got to know its limits.

I was thinking about doing the stand similar to the first picture you posted but I wanted support on the corners although now I think it isn't that important.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
If I would have done 1/2" acrylic which was fine for my size tank it would have been around 600 + shipping but since I got 1" acrylic it went up to around 900 + shipping. He had bubbles in a lot of places. But some have said it gets harder with the thicker acrylics. The guy from barraquatic told me he gets bubbles also. And some have said James from envision acrylics also gets bubbles. But then I have also seen some of his tanks (in pictures) where is seemed like he didn't have any bubbles at all. But most of the bubbles you wouldn't notice anyway because they are small. The quote I got from james was around 1300 and his shipping was a lot more than MCA. But from what I have seen James really goes all out and his tanks are the best I've seen (in pictures).

MCA did a good job on my tank though, just wish they would have made the overflow slot bigger like I asked.

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
ink are you seriously going to do this? i think you should gain some more skills before you dive into something you dont have a clue yet, im not doubting your ability just it seems your running all around in this hobby and it concerns me about your livestock, i mean how long have you really been in this hobby?

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
Ink call me tomorrow and reming to call my friend chris ,he has a great place for arcylic tanks ,if your are interested lmk

inkblue

Rice Planter
Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
Herman, am contacting socalcreations.com toDay for a quote... I saw thiS on their site, it's the perfect size, descriptioN:

This 48x24x24 tank was built out of 3/4" cell cast acrylic, most tanks this size are made of 3/8" or 1/2", but being that there isn't a center brace on the tank required the thickness to be increased. This tank features a 4x8 overflow, painted black back, and multiple holes for a closed loop

Let me knoW if thiS worKs :smokin:

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
inkblue said:
This 48x24x24 tank was built out of 3/4" cell cast acrylic, most tanks this size are made of 3/8" or 1/2", but being that there isn't a center brace on the tank required the thickness to be increased. This tank features a 4x8 overflow, painted black back, and multiple holes for a closed loop

That'll make a lovely 120g. :bigeyes2:

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
you should get it shipped via air freight to Laguardia- lots cheaper than the door to door service...

i love that tank on the 1st page- cube tanks are amazing if done right. if you are thinking of getting that sick light I guess you aren't looking for those bargind any more...you should go with a cube like that, but with starphire glass!!!!!!!!! :bigeyes2:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: