Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thank you Pat, and Richie! I am truly sorry for not responding sooner! Just haven't really been myself. Getting there though.
Tank is doing well! All animals added are still doing well! I still can't take pic that isn't all blue no matter what settings I use.:( I tried turning off all the blues, then it all looks green or brown.yuck I tried a video, still to blue, and definitely to long (5min.).:(

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Yes I know: Here I go with the drama with my reef!:redface::tired:

I lost all but 1 fish this past Sunday due to my stupidity.;(

I prepared the solution of Bayer to dip the new acquisitions in, and sat it on the tank's brace with the canopy holding it in place. It was safe, until I reached for it to put it on top of a bucket I placed on the floor in front of the tank so as not to splash any of it in to the tank while placing the rock with the shrooms & leather on it.
Well, when I reached for it the bowl slipped in to my tank spilling half the contents into the tank. I didn't know what to do in that moment of panic, but then decided that all would be okay because my tank is 155 gallons, and what spilled was a mere 6 cups of the solution. I just kept an eye on the corals, and inverts ready to pull them out in to the bucket of freshly mixed salt water that I would be using to replace the water I was taking out of the tank during acclimation & dipping. About 15 to 30 minutes later I see my PT spinning around on his tail, then the Desjardinii, followed by my Majestic, and then the rest of the tangs. I raced to rinse 1 or 2lbs of GAC in a large nylon bag to throw into the return section of my sump. Drained about 30 gal. of water, and refilled the tank. It was to little to late.
I thought I lost everyone! Fortunately, and I thank God that the first fish into my tank after the monster Sandy that I got from GeorgeG (tail spot blenny) popped out of a hole in the rocks while I was telling a friend what I had done..

Dace, I am so sorry!!!:sad2:

Inverts, limpets, chitons, hermit crab with exception of one lg. hermit, snails, brittle starfish all appear unharmed.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hey Awilda, I hope your tank recovers quickly... Never give up, never surrender!

I am going to try to set-up a QT tank so that I never lose my fish again...

Best,

Alfred

It seems to have recovered as the little Tail Spot Blennie is swimming around happily.;)
The demise of the fish had nothing to do with being quarantined or not. They were poisoned by the Bayer solution that got dumped in their tank accidentally.

Here's to a speedy recovery!

I'm sure this tank will be back better than ever, especially with such a dedicated reefer caring for it :)

God Bless!
Thank you Dan.:)

Update:
I was able to remove the 2 largest & 1 smallish fish that perished. There are 2 other small tangs & the medium size Christmas wrasse that I was unable to find still somewhere in the rocks. Figure the CUC will take care of them.

Diatom out break at the moment. Thinking it has to do with the death of the fish especially since there are 3 still in the tank. Probably pods as well.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
sorry to hear about the loss.

i'm trying to catch a green coris wrasse and 1-2 female bartlett's anthias....if you're interested, they are yours....when/if i do catch them.:bagfish::bagfish:

Thank you Tom! Yes, I will take them IF you catch them.lol :hug:

I just read what happened, Awilda.

I am very sorry to hear this. Please LMK if I can be of any help.

Sunny
Thank you Sunny.:hug:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Update:

Lighting schedule has been reduced to 4 hours for a while until I no longer see diatoms, or the gha.
Hope this short photosynthesis period doesn't harm the corals.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Have you tested for phosphates? Also, have you tested the output of your RO/DI? I have found that diatoms are a symptom of exhausted DI resin. In either case, throw in one sand sifting star fish, a sea hare and three Mexican turbo grazers. Your GHA and diatoms will disappear in no time.

Alfred

Update:

Lighting schedule has been reduced to 4 hours for a while until I no longer see diatoms, or the gha.
Hope this short photosynthesis period doesn't harm the corals.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Have you tested for phosphates? Also, have you tested the output of your RO/DI? I have found that diatoms are a symptom of exhausted DI resin. In either case, throw in one sand sifting star fish, a sea hare and three Mexican turbo grazers. Your GHA and diatoms will disappear in no time.

Alfred

Alfredo, thank you for the response.
I know why my tank is having a diatom bloom & the gha issue, and it has nothing to do with my RO/DI.
The reason is the poisoning of the tank that happened on Sunday. The accident killed 6 medium to large fish.;( I was able to remove the 2 largest, and 1 medium. There were 3 other medium size fish that I was not able to pull out without pulling my rocks apart which I choose not to do. I believe that the Nitrifying Bacteria in the tank were also poisoned. Leaving nothing but the cuc & corals to battle the ammonia that was kicked up by the remaining the dead. With all of the biological life gone, and 3 dead fish left in the system there was most likely an ammonia spike so on & so on.
I have not tested for phosphates or nitrates for that matter, because I know they are there.;) The evidence is the proof (diatoms & GHA).
Once I see the diatoms & gha gone then I will test. In the mean time I am following the usual steps. Water changes, run gfo & gac, as well as reducing photo period.;)

1/5/2013
Diatoms & GHA are just about totally gone.;) Some GHA on a couple of snails, and an 1/8" on top of one of the new rocks..;)

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: