Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
MGE, there is now a beautiful PBT, Majestic Angel, Flame Angel all of which are my favorite of each group, and of course the Two Spot Blennie I got from George a little while back making it the first fish in to my tank after Hurricane Sandy.;)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Awilda there is a beautiful gold ring tang at tropical island the one in lynbrook I wanted to buy him so bad but I only have a 57g he is like 4" big really nice colors

LOL, you really must have taken a dislike to the poor guy.LOL

Thanks for letting me know, but my 5" PBT would most likely kill it.:( The gold ring tang, and the PBT are in the same genus. Tried this before (many years ago) did not work out at all. My gf had also tried a few times as well, and every time the Gold Ring was the loser.;(
There is a better chance of the fish getting along when it comes to the zebramosa.:) I have had, and intend to have again a Yellow & a Purple tangs.;)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Pix of fish from George, Maximum Reefs & Yellow Tang from Aquarium Village.
Tail Spot Blennie from George
TailSpotBlennie_zps44196972.jpg

Fish from Maximum Reefs (Gotta Love this place)
Powder Blue Tang
PowderBlueTang_zpsfe77428c.jpg

Majestic Angelfish
Fish189_zps6cfde79b.jpg

Fish235_zpsd60563d7.jpg

Flame Angelfish
Fish285_zps44c56f5c.jpg

Purple Tang
PurpleTang1_zpsaf1aa792.jpg

ReefPixampVideo008_zpscab133d4.jpg

Yellow Tang from Aquarium Village
YellowTang_zps2970f3aa.jpg

Yellow Tang & Flame Dwarf Angelfish
FlameAngelfishampYellowTang_zpsf1b18dfb.jpg

I'm trying for pix of the corals, but not very successful.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thank you Rich, yes sir Max Reef fish (when I was there about 2 weeks ago or so when my son took me) looked fat, and healthy. That day I picked up the PBT, Majestic, and the Flame. Once acclimated in to their new home they behaved as if they had always been in my tank. None hid, and they proceeded to eat with no problem. Same thing with the PT that rwells was kind enough to pick up for me. All I can say these 4 guys have made me very happy..
Thank you Ziggy, it feels great to have my tank up with some life. Especially that I have my favorites. Slowly I will add the rest that I am missing.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Just read what happened, so sorry, but glad to see that your pulling through strong. and with some beautiful new additions. on that note, how are flame and majestic with the pbt, and the corals?

Thank you Wolf! The PBT is the largest (at about 5") of all the fish in my tank. Majestic & Flame are model citizens at least until now.:shhh: I never had a problem with my previous Majestic & Flame angelfish. They never picked on anything or anyone. I seem to have gotten nice guys.:smile:

Thanks Tom!!

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
So begins the fight:
The death of so many fish compounded by my in ability to remove all the bodies has created a nitrate/phosphate pool.
I know have so much algae all over the rocks, sand, and glass that if the few corals were not doing as well as they are this tank would have become a fresh water amazon cichlid tank.
Following is my plan of attack:
30 to 40 gallons of water change every other day with RO/DI water mixed with IO salt.
Changing gac weekly.
Changing gfo at 3 weeks.
Light cycle changed to 5.5 hrs. blue LEDs, 4 hrs. white LEDs
No food is entering the tank. (Perhaps this will aide in the capture of the yellow coris)
Have I missed anything?

Bit of history of what led up to this stage..

As most of you guys/gals now I had an accident with a batch of "Bayer" dip that wiped out just about all my fish leaving me with the Tailspot Blenny that I got from GeorgeG.
I was able to get some replacements at Maximum Reefs, and a few more fish from Coral Theory about two weeks ago. I was really happy.

Now here is the start of the downward spiral. I have a black cabinet on the left side of the tank. This created a mirror effect which drove the PBT crazy. He stressed out, and got ICH. Just a couple of spots on it's pectoral fins. As it was still eating, and I had put a piece of white plastic between the tank, and the cabinet removing the mirror effect I thought the fish would be okay.

I felt that trying to remove it to a small QT (20g) would only cause more stress.
I kept a close eye on the PBT watching for the ich spots to spread or disappear. PBT continued eating, and behaving as normal as ever. Then came the second stage where I started losing fish. Once this began I set up the 20g for "Hyposalinity Treatment" not wanting to ruin the only other tank I have for those un-wanted corals. By then I had 4 fish left out of 12.
I was able to catch 2 out of the 4 that day. The YT & Yellow Coris Wrasse proved to be much more difficult to catch. Following morning the YT was dead. Yellow Coris is still to this day in the DT. I have tried several different foods in the bottle trap to no avail.
BTW, "Hyposalinity" did not work. Three or four days later I lost the other two.

I am staying the he!! away from Tangs...

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Yes Ohana, again!

Tony, thank you! You know I do!;) I beat cancer, I will beat this algae back.:)

The corals SPS, LPS, Shrooms, Zoa, and leather are all doing GREAT! The first SPS that had bleached from the Bayer dip are coloring up really nice, and a few are even showing signs of growth. Waiting on the last 3 to make their come back. LPS are extending really nice, and the one gorgonian is absolutely fully open. Caps are also growing really good...
Perhaps I shouldn't even state the above.LOL

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thank you Tom!

Algae is on it's way out! Sand is pretty much cleared considering that all of it was covered.
Rocks are pretty much cleared as well. Just have some stubborn green & red slime mostly on the bridge, with a small amount of green on the front 1" to 2" of the sand bed closes to the front pane.

The darn Yellow Coris is still in the tank.... Regardless of what I try nothing works.:( It doesn't help that the tank is full of pods.:happysad:
So I guess I am stuck with ich in my DT..

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
wow sorry ur having such a bad spell at reefing i remember the day i came true to pick up that anenome and i walk in and saw that beast of a tank looking so nice it inspired me that a lady from mr with a killer tank and now it seems like i cant get a ago go at it dont throw the towel in when u get things under control dont worry ill have at least 20 frags waiting for u and forget about the yellow coris i gave up on mine that fish is impossible to catch but seriously hang in there and if u need help in anyway lmk

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
wow sorry ur having such a bad spell at reefing i remember the day i came true to pick up that anenome and i walk in and saw that beast of a tank looking so nice it inspired me that a lady from mr with a killer tank and now it seems like i cant get a ago go at it dont throw the towel in when u get things under control dont worry ill have at least 20 frags waiting for u and forget about the yellow coris i gave up on mine that fish is impossible to catch but seriously hang in there and if u need help in anyway lmk

Yeah, it's been a bit trying.. But hey, "this to shall pass".:splitspin

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
UPDATE

Good news: I finally found a Naked Clown fish, and a Nearly Naked Clown fish thank you David [Bath Aquarium]!!!:happydance: They are living in the 20 gallon with the Yellow Coris Wrasse until May 30 - 31 when they will all be moved back in to the 155.;)

Bad news: Cyano both red & green are proving to be quite the issue. Although it is NOT all over the place it is still being a problem. Doing several water changes with RO/DI water, running BRS GFO & GAC changed out weekly this stubborn cyano continues to plague my reef.:( Yesterday after the previous day's water change it developed bubbles within it. Yes, I have tried to siphon it out to no avail.:banghead:
Phosphates are also proving to be stubborn, or they were just that high which also explains why the cyano is still living.:eek:
So, today I am going shopping for "Chemiclean", air pump, air line tubing. air stone, and phosphate sponge/sponges.:fight2:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: