Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
so nice when that thing gets filled i got free frags for you sweetheart

Thank you Jeremy!! I'm sorry I missed your response last night, I was so tired I guess my eyes weren't working either.:spin:

Richie, thank you very much! The helpers were 2 my son's, 1 adopted son (actually my youngest son's friend who has been with us since he was 14):), and of course DarkDrako, and his father in law. Could not have done this without their help. They lifted the tank with all the sand in it because we didn't want to disturb the sand to much. Didn't want to cause a cycle by disturbing it.
I would have loved to throw it all out, and getting new sand. But that all was bit scary with the thought that it would cause a cycle, and consequently hurt the animals.

Thank you Pauli! Ahhhh, the rest of the project will be what it is. I won't expect any compliments on my rock work as I am not good at it one bit. I just hope you guys & gals won't be to harsh with the critics.:lol_large

BobNY, thank you!

Angelo, the stand had been giving me problems since day 1. For starters it wasn't leveled when the tank was first installed. Then came the bottom brace/trim pulled apart slightly. Followed by sticking doors. Then the 1 door along with the slat that it was hinged on kept coming apart. All the cracking & splitting noted in the pix happened as it was pulled from under the tank when the guys picked the tank up. Apparently what was holding this crappy AGA stand together was the weight of the tank.:eek:

Now thank God I have a much sturdier stand that should withstand all the shifting my house has been doing.:screama:

Remember folks don't be to harsh with my rock work.lol I know I stink at it.:wink1:

BTW, the finish on the exterior of the tank is "Rustoleum Black Lacquer"

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
wow - you weren't kidding about the separated slats!!! hope you have a smooth transition. lmk if you still need more chaeto. i have to go to FWS next monday. =)

Scary huh! Thank God it's gone.:)

Finished putting all the corals, inverts, and fish, (but 1, the black saddle back clown). I'm getting rid of him/her.
I still have to put the dividers back in the sump, and then re-install the sump & the ato.

Here's a pic of what it looks like now: Don't laugh, OK you can laugh.....:lol2:

Attachments

• Reef & dogs 008.JPG
    Reef & dogs 008.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Scary huh! Thank God it's gone.:)

Finished putting all the corals, inverts, and fish, (but 1, the black saddle back clown). I'm getting rid of him/her.
I still have to put the dividers back in the sump, and then re-install the sump & the ato.

Here's a pic of what it looks like now: Don't laugh, OK you can laugh.....:lol2:

looking good...it'll be much better!!! :champagne

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
looking good so far Awi, let me know if you need anything.

Thank You Richie!!

Today I get to finish filling it up! I re-glued the baffles in the sump yesterday so it will be ready at around 11AM.
BTW, the interior of the stand along with the giant doors allowed me to actually sit in it to put screws for hanging the power strips. For those of you who know me know that this is not an easy fiat.:lol_large Putting the sump in it was also a breeze.;)

Wires are not plugged in that is why they are where they are. Once the sump is filled the wires will be plugged in, and will look much neater.;)

Attachments

• stand interior & sump 003.jpg
    stand interior & sump 003.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Yesterday my son, and I spent the day fixing a couple of plumbing issues that popped up.:irked: It seems that nothing ever goes smoothly. For starters one of the ball valves on one of my return pumps had a leak so off to find a replacement parts I went. Of course no one carried the same brand so I had to get more parts, and change out the hold thing. Replaced all of the above turn the pumps on, and of course I find another leak. This leak was going to be a PITA to fix since it was the drain with the flexible PVC glued to the bulkhead. I called on my son again. While he was trying to see how to fix it without draining the tank he gave it a twist, and it came right off.:bigeyes2: I cleaned it off, primed it put some more PVC cement on it, and put it back. My son then added some silicone around for extra measure. No more leak.:wink1: Turn everything back on, and of course another problem arose. Tons of micro-bubbles filled the tank. After working on that till about 10 PM I was exhausted so I put socks on the 2 drains, and the skimmer. Got up this morning to a micro-bubble storm in the DT. I cut another piece of acrylic, and put it in the sump. That helped, but I was still getting a good amount of micro-bubbles in the DT. Finally gave up, and I put some "Bonded Filter Pads" over the last divider before the return pumps. That helped a lot, but still not perfect.
If anyone as any idea on how to get rid off those pesky micro-bubbles please let me know.

Awi. everything looks great. I'm glad it all came together for you.
I love the 2 island look. Fish will love it too.

Thanks a bunch James! I have always liked the 2 islands, but others never did.:( Besides the 2 islands are quite necessary due to the BTAs. Trying to keep them away from everything else. They are currently on a rock in the rear middle. Hope they stay there.:wink1:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Pix of the interior of the stand & guts of my 155.:) Here you can see the massive amount of bubbles I'm getting from the skimmer.:frown:

Attachments

• Stand & sump 002.jpg
    Stand & sump 002.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Stand & sump 003.jpg
    Stand & sump 003.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 176
  • Stand & sump 004.jpg
    Stand & sump 004.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: